Simple: Wipe HDD and reinstall OSX 10.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hellishness, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

But how do I do it? I've never bought 10.8 (or .7 or .6..). I have a file called "OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.dmg" that's 4.35GB, but I don't fully trust that and don't wanna risk screwing something up. I just got this a couple days ago and I want to wipe it all so I can restore it from a time machine backup on an external HDD. My understanding is that if I wipe it all (restart, hold command+r, disk utility to erase the HDD), I won't be able to reinstall mountain lion because I never bought it on my Apple ID. What do I do? I heard I can use a flash drive or another HDD (neither of which I have), put the image of mountain lion on that, and install it from that. Is there any other way that doesn't involve me borrowing/buying a big enough USB drive? I have no problem with paying the $20 for mountain lion.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

No (like I said). And I have no problem with buying it. I just don't want to have to copy it onto something I don't have (USB drive) to install it.

4. Meyvn macrumors 6502

If you're okay with buying ML for $20, but not okay with buying a $5-10 USB 8-16GB thumb drive that could be quite useful in the future on Amazon, I'm a bit puzzled. But okay.

At least tell me you have an online backup solution? Because almost invariably, people who tell me they don't want to buy backup drives are the same people who later come back angry and entitled, and blaming Apple when their hard drives fail (as ALL hard drives do one day).

Anyway, if you're really not okay buying a $5 8GB USB flash drive, here's what you do: boot up your Mac via the install DVD of whatever version of Mac OS X you DO actually own a copy of, open up Disk Utility, and add a second partition to your internal drive. Name it whatever you like (I would chose Apple HDD to differentiate from Macintosh HDD) (Make SURE, I mean SURE, NOT to erase the original partition. Just add one. It's an option; I assure you.) Size it just big enough to fit the OS install. Or optionally, size it to however much space you have to spare on the HDD.

Then, boot back up in your current 10.8 install, run the 10.8 Install DMG file, and install 10.8 on the NEW partition. Once it's installed, updated, and so on, you've booted from it, and you're absolutely sure you're happy with the clean install, boot from that install DVD again, delete the original partition (once you've got any crucial files you need off of it, if there are any), resize the new clean-install partition, boot back up from there, and remove the DVD. Should be all good to go.

Or you could make your life just a hell of a lot easier and buy a $5 flash drive.

5. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Maybe this isn't really a "clean install", but I just rebooted with command+r, wiped the hard drive from there, and reinstalled the OS, all without connecting anything. Why is this way never mentioned?

I have a time machine backup of my computer. I just have no real need for an 8gb thumb drive, and I'd rather not spend money on something I don't even need.