Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
Does anyone know where the Simplify Demo is so I can turn it off. It automatically is added with the upgrade and adds a "Brad Sucks" CD to your listings. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

UPDATE: I think its stored on their servers.

rush0

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
The fact that you paid for the app already doesn't mean anything. You got the app you paid for didn't you?

You don't have to pay for the new version, but the programmers that spent time making it are very fair in asking for compensation.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
????McDonalds?????? OK, so you go to McDonalds and buy a Happy meal for say $3.00, and they don't give it to you, and they ask you for three more dollars for them to give it to you, are you gonna get mad or not, I mean, like you said, $3.00 dollars is nothing!!!!!:eek:

Hold on a second. Are you saying that when you bought the SimplifyMedia app that they didn't give it to you? Were you not satisfied with the app when you bought it?

I realize that you may be pissed here but this app has been on the app store for well over a year. For a long time the app was free. Do they not have a right to make a 2.0 of a product and charge for the work that they put into it? For $4 you have a lot functionality in the app. For $4 bucks you can stream your entire library anywhere you are without having to configure your router. Last.fm support with lyrics. Chat. Notifications of what others listen to. Most people would have paid $15 or $20 for that functionality. All this while programming for three different OS's.

They even said on their blog: "Unfortunately, given our development costs, we can’t afford to make it a free upgrade on all platforms"

Your app has not changed. It isn't going anywhere. You act as if some stole the money out of your pockets.

BTW they added much more than just search functionality.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
This is just like the idiots who complain because an HD TV season is $59 on iTunes.

People can't expect to get free updates to apps forever. These developers need money too. I think it will be funny when more and more developers do this and people start crying even more.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
yeah... without the video, I'm not really digging it. I like the features it has so far, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why Apple hasn't integrated this into iPhone already.

What if Simplify Media would allow game developers to install a "mini-client" within the game so you could stream while playing that game. This would help make up for the fact that you can't multitask on the iPhone.

For example, I could be playing Light Bike or Sim City while listening to streamed audio.

tlove

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
I downloaded the original Simplify right when it came out. IT WAS FREE! :)
I don't mind paying 3 bucks to have access to 20,000 songs.

stratmancj

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
????McDonalds?????? OK, so you go to McDonalds and buy a Happy meal for say $3.00, and they don't give it to you, and they ask you for three more dollars for them to give it to you, are you gonna get mad or not, I mean, like you said, $3.00 dollars is nothing!!!!!:eek:

first, i don't know many people who own iphones who eat happy meals

second, if they take that happy meal and do a major upgrade to it, i'm sure it will be worth $6, like most value meal costs

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I don't even use the app very often, after noticing such a drastic difference in audio quality between those files on the iPhone and those streaming from home.

If that issue could be fixed (or even addressed) I'd begin to entertain the thought of paying again, but to pay again for a simple search function, etc, is not worth it to me.

Pass.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
guys! i have tiger. why isnt leopard free?!!!! its just an update

This is totally apple & oranges - what a horrible comparison.

Does Apple make you pay for every 10.5.x upgrade? I see paying for a 10.x upgrade every 1-1.5 years. With Simplify Media's new model, what is going to stop them from charging for every single new update? Are they going to come out with 2.1 in 1 month and charge another $2.99 for it? I know that may be extreme, but there is currently nothing in place to stop them from doing this. You just wait...

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I just posted this in the simplify media forum linked above and I think it does a great job at illustrating how I feel about this:

I think that these are great features; however, I think the main problem is that this is called version 2.0, if it were Simplify Music Pro or something like that, I wouldn’t have a problem as it would be clear that this is a different version of the software.

Unfortunately this is being called version 2.0, therefore it is an upgrade and from what I understand of the terms of service, upgrades for applications on the iphone are supposed to be free per Apple’s TOS.

So, is this version 2.0 (aka an upgrade) or is this a new, more sophisticated “PRO” version?

For the record, I got my original one for free and considering the amount that I use this product, I don’t mind paying for it, to support the Developer, but if I have to keep paying for upgrades. then there will be a major problem.

The only other feature I could see creating a new product for (and legitimately being able to charge as a result) is Simplify Music & Video

iPhoneVic

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
????McDonalds????

That made absolutely no sense - papiti...LOL, pretty soon we will be paying
for updates to the iPhone software...9.99 for iPhone 3.1.

wooo

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
demo? Isn't that a forbidden iPhone app word?

For those of you that want to remove the "Simplify Demo" user like I did, a new update was released tonight. Damn, that was quick. The iPhone version 2.02 will be out by the end of the week.

http://www.simplifymedia.com/blog/?p=69

I kid you not, an earlier version of my app ooTunes Radio was rejected solely for having a button that said "demo". The same day, ars posted this:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/app-store-lessons-apple-clarifies-upsell-policy.ars

It totally pissed me off at the time, but maybe it is a good policy to avoid this kind of confusion?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I just posted this in the simplify media forum linked above and I think it does a great job at illustrating how I feel about this:

I agree with your view. This is indeed an update and in no way warrants an app re-purchase. Thus as an update, they should not be charging. It just does not have any vast improvements in it to be called anything more than an update. By making it a new app, you are stating that it is completely different app - and this is not so. I agree they could if they added video to this app. But, don't worry, that's next (and without a doubt will be another "new" app).

For people saying that the developer has to eat and stuff, developers also have the right to increase the price of their app. But, Simplify Media did the exact opposite. They lowered the price of their app to $0.99 on 4/23, probably leading many people to buy it. These are the people who were cheated out - how were they to know that this app was going to be discontinued 6 days later?

JonathanU

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
London, UK
Confused?

If you don't like it - surely you don't buy the upgrade?

I didn't like the app (although I can't pretend I wasted a whole lot of time trying to figure it out) because it seemed to require that I leave my computer on all the time which, in these environmentally conscious times, ought to be punishable by social exclusion, and possibly the death penalty... ;)

For me, I'm probably going to just delete it. Just my two penneth. Ta.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Its not the three dollars, its that we already paid for the Application!!!!:mad:

You also paid for OS X, and still Apple expect you to pay for upgrades! Boo!

What a bunch of whiners with inflated sense of entitlement....

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
This is totally apple & oranges - what a horrible comparison.

It's a perfectly valid comparison

Does Apple make you pay for every 10.5.x upgrade?

They do not charge for bugfix-releases, but they expect you to pay $129 for feature-updates. Why not whine about that? I mean, this version brings feature-updates with it. In OS X-land, this would be a paid update.

camerafan1967

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
What a complete RIP OFF!

Charging for an update so you can search for songs (a feature the original should have had!)

I'm deleting the App and filing a complaint with Apple.

I recommend that others do the same.

Shame on you!!:mad:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
You guys are hilarious.

Simplify was offered for free in order to turn people on to the service. It costs these guys money to develop and maintain the program. If you people are so cheap and/or selfish that spending $3 ONCE on an app that you may use constantly is something that you have to create hate threads about, they're probably better off not having you as customers.

papiti said:
????McDonalds?????? OK, so you go to McDonalds and buy a Happy meal for say $3.00, and they don't give it to you, and they ask you for three more dollars for them to give it to you, are you gonna get mad or not, I mean, like you said, $3.00 dollars is nothing!!!!!

No, this is like McDonalds offering a 'free Happy Meal' promotion for a limited time, and then after it ends, people bitching that they no longer get free meals and might actually have to pay for something that they use.

camerafan1967

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
You guys are hilarious.

Simplify was offered for free in order to turn people on to the service. It costs these guys money to develop and maintain the program. If you people are so cheap and/or selfish that spending $3 ONCE on an app that you may use constantly is something that you have to create hate threads about, they're probably better off not having you as customers.

It was not FREE. It cost $3.99! How is that free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.