Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
You must be either over 16 years old or don't have kids or don't work in a high school. This really DOES solve a problem.

The problem is, say a 15 year old girl texts her best friend or boyfriend and 3 or 4 minutes goes by and she does not get a reply. After the 5th minute she is certain the other person hates her and the relationship is over and her life is ruined and she is going to be a social outcast and so on and so on.

This let's the other person send a "yo" back which can done very quickly with zero thinking or typing.

There is a similar problem with some that goes the other direction. NOT getting a message for a long time (like a couple hours) means the same as not getting a reply in 4 minutes. They rarely care much what the message says so "yo" is as good as anything else.

It's hard for us old folks (those over 30) to understand but I've seen this kind of thing many times. The kids ARE smart enough to know that they might not get an instant reply during class time or whatever or at 3:00am but no instant return when he could have sent one is a big deal to very insecure people, like teens.

This is the most insightful post I have ever read on this forum. Thanks!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You must be either over 16 years old or don't have kids or don't work in a high school. This really DOES solve a problem.

The problem is, say a 15 year old girl texts her best friend or boyfriend and 3 or 4 minutes goes by and she does not get a reply. After the 5th minute she is certain the other person hates her and the relationship is over and her life is ruined and she is going to be a social outcast and so on and so on.

This let's the other person send a "yo" back which can done very quickly with zero thinking or typing.

There is a similar problem with some that goes the other direction. NOT getting a message for a long time (like a couple hours) means the same as not getting a reply in 4 minutes. They rarely care much what the message says so "yo" is as good as anything else.

It's hard for us old folks (those over 30) to understand but I've seen this kind of thing many times. The kids ARE smart enough to know that they might not get an instant reply during class time or whatever or at 3:00am but no instant return when he could have sent one is a big deal to very insecure people, like teens.

thats unfortunately not only true for children ... my mum is literally flipping out when she sees that i was online "xy minutes ago" but dont immediately response to her text. my aunt called my mother once cuz i blocked her on facebook and she got bitchy at my mum about why i would even block her and that it is just "rude. my 26 friend calls my parents house (they live 1 hour away from my apt) when i dont reply to a whatsapp message within 2 hours after lets say 5pm even if i may just be busy at the movies ... its the time we live in

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Oh, I wasn’t defending their use of the word. I was simply stating that I think the word is a good description of the app despite it’s contextual misuse.

"Despite its contextual misuse," you surely meant. Sorry, but that was a gopher pitch.

One can hope for improvement. One can also hope for peace in the Middle East.

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006

dont really see how that is a problem... and i dont see how this app solves the problem... If the person doesnt even notice your text, if they have the yo app or not you are not getting a response - maybe they left phone at home or on desk or arent getting service or turned it off or battery died or do not disturb is turned on or they are asleep, etc.... and how does this app make it easier to respond? you already have opened the text in another messaging app, now have to open another one, and search for the contact and click send - wouldnt it be much easier to just stay in the message app you received the message in and just type a message and hit send? i mean if you have time to read, dont you have time to respond? and there is a feature in iOS that enables quick responses to text messages from the lock screen - and i believe i have seen an option for auto-replies.

And really, instead of addressing the issue that teens need to realize that fact that they wont always get and instant response from someone and to not be over dramatic in these situations, you want to feed these thoughts by giving them an app that says if they dont respond now then yes overreact and think the world is over!

This is the problem with parenting these days, at some point you need to step in and explain how ridiculous your child is being....

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I was able to obtain some confidential correspondences between Mobli CEO Moshe Hogeg and the secretary. You guys may want to check this out. Pretty interesting stuff.

Moshe Hogeg: Yo
Secretary: Yo

So there you have it. The secret behind the success of this wonderful app.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Firs of all, this doesn't need to be as popular as WhatsApp. If it gets 1% of the users as WhatsApp, that would be a huge thing. So think of it as a nitch product going for just 5% of the smartphone population.

Second, it is faster than Whats App. Two taps. Open App, tap friend. Whats App is five taps to send the letter Y. And you might have many more conversations going on Whats App resulting in a bit of searching to find your friend. I'm expecting people to have just a few "Yo Friends".

It works and makes a bit of sense. Definitely worth throwing a bit of funding at.

Phone is locked. Text message received. Slide to reply. Unlock phone with Touch ID. Type "K" and send.

Phone is unlocked. Text message received. Quick reply (iOS 8). Type "K" and send.

What's so difficult about these simple steps?

----------

I think we should all leave a 1 star review with just "Yo" in the comment.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012

I can tell by your post you're an enabler. It does NOT solve a problem. Solving the problem would be to teach your children not to be so dramatic, insecure, and have patience. Our smartphones have notification screens for a reason. If the recipient missed the message, they simply go into the notifications at their earliest convenience to reply. With this app, you have to open it, search for the contact, then send it. It's quicker to just open the message and type "K" and send or use a smiley face emoji.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Phone is locked. Text message received. Slide to reply. Unlock phone with Touch ID. Type "K" and send.

Phone is unlocked. Text message received. Quick reply (iOS 8). Type "K" and send.

----------

Yes, I can't see popular messengers being much slower UI-wise when replying (especially from the lock screen).

I really don't like "vertical silos" we have with different IM apps, each new IM app makes it worse.

There was once the Jabber protocol to make different IM apps interoperable, now all the big IM players are in their walled gardens again...in the end, we have 5-10 messenger on our phones to reach different friends.

ICQ and later AIM could have ruled them all about 15 years ago, they were among the first with a critical mass of users wordlwide and then dropped the ball.

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

----------

That is easy. But if I want to send a "yo" out it is just two taps to Yo. Open app, tap name of person. To send an iOS "Y" is five: open app, tap person, tap entry field, tap Y, tap send. Obviously very easy, but Yo is easier.

The iOS integration for receiving messages could be integrated into Yo as well.

And remember, if Yo gets only 1% iOS adoption, that would be enough to make it a huge success. Most likely it will not get there and it will fail and disappear. But if it takes off (e.g., it gets 5% of the iOS market engaged with it and using it a few times per week), then it is likely to find a way to monetize the idea.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
That is easy. But if I want to send a "yo" out it is just two taps to Yo. Open app, tap name of person. To send an iOS "Y" is five: open app, tap person, tap entry field, tap Y, tap send. Obviously very easy, but Yo is easier.

The iOS integration for receiving messages could be integrated into Yo as well.

And remember, if Yo gets only 1% iOS adoption, that would be enough to make it a huge success. Most likely it will not get there and it will fail and disappear. But if it takes off (e.g., it gets 5% of the iOS market engaged with it and using it a few times per week), then it is likely to find a way to monetize the idea.

Wouldn't Yo be used for a reply? I mean, if you send a Yo to start a convo, what's the point when you just have to open the message app to explain the reason for the Yo? Now, if you use Yo to let someone know to let you in the front door of the apartment building, or you've arrived to pick them up, etc, wouldn't it be more convenient to tell Siri to send a text while you're coming around the corner or pulling up? This way, you can concentrate on driving.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Wouldn't Yo be used for a reply? I mean, if you send a Yo to start a convo, what's the point when you just have to open the message app to explain the reason for the Yo? Now, if you use Yo to let someone know to let you in the front door of the apartment building, or you've arrived to pick them up, etc, wouldn't it be more convenient to tell Siri to send a text while you're coming around the corner or pulling up? This way, you can concentrate on driving.

Good for you if you've achieved anything close to 90% success rate interacting with Siri. In my attempts it is far below 90% and probably below 50%. So Siri is useless for me as a time saver and as a result it is never used. Also I don't recall ever seeing someone use Siri but maybe in a car folks are using it.

But yes, I think a "yo" meaning I've arrived. Or a yo meaning I'm headed home is very easy. Or it could mean "Call me when you've got a chance." Or something else. It will be used by the sender and recipient to mean something that is obvious and predetermined. And if not, then iMessage App sits right on your phone for a quick reply.

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
I say they make many more one word Apps!

No
Yes
Hi
whatever
Maybe

wow the list could go on--Im only kidding, simply stupid APP!!!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I would have liked to have been in the meeting where they decided on the name.

we call it yo

no we call it yoyo

why?

its obvious isn't it?

no

no no

what?!

ugh?

hey yo shut the **** up

5 hrs later....

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.