Sims 1 feedback on new Macs

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by jav6454, Feb 21, 2009.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So, I've been leaning on buying the Sims full collection, the first generation collection that is, on the Apple Store for $50. However, I have seen reviews about it on how new Macs handle it. So far I have read the only 2 reviews concerning this game on the new nVidia MacBooks and both reviewers say it runs horrible in graphics.

Now, it would be useful to hear from many other people. I want this game, its a childhood classic. I also have a nVidia MacBook and would really hate not to be able to play this game fully.

Anyone care to post their feedback?

2. bradenwh macrumors 6502

You're asking if the Sims 1, will run on nVidia graphics?
    Seriously?

The Sims 2 runs beautifully on my nVidia MacBook. I see no reason why The Sims 1, with all it's crappy graphics, shouldn't run well.

3. muldul macrumors 6502

Wow, the sims 1 takes me back, you know i may just load it up now, thanks for reminding me. Oh it should run great, but it will probably run better under boot camp (and it will be cheaper too)

4. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Be aware, I know how powerful the nVidia graphics are. I just read several reviews already where the Sims 1 plays at horrible graphics and to play it well once must play low settings.

That is why I'm asking.

Also, I have tried to find the PC version of the Sims 1 for sale. No luck. I always end up finding the Mac version through Apple.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This game was designed for PowerPC Macs so it may indeed not run so well on an Intel Mac. Newer graphics cards also do not necessarily mean better performance in old games.

For example I just built a new gaming rig and the Radeon HD3870 which kicks my old X800XT's butt does not do as well on Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Specifically none of the Frame Buffer Effects work anymore and there is no resolution to this problem using Omega drivers or older ATI drivers.

Here is the PC Version.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sims-Complete..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1235400355&sr=1-1

6. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Thanks, although I didn't buy from Amazon, your link gave me the idea to eBay it. Found it cheaper $5 off and free shipping + free insurance. Bought it and I am no waiting anxiously to play the Sims.

Yes, I agree better technology doesn't mean better performance in old games.

Lol, me stupid had forgotten to add the word "PC" after the Sims