Sims 3 - Worth more than 50?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by moonysgurl, Jun 7, 2009.

1. moonysgurl macrumors newbie

I have a Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and a memory of 1 GB. Today I went to the Mac store to buy the Sims 3, but it needs Version 10.5.7 and 2GB.

So am I supposed to just buy OS X 10.5.0 and then update it from there? And then do I have to buy another 1GB? Here's the link for that 1GB module http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB320G/B

Is this the correct product (for OS X 10.5.0): http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB607Z/A

If this is correct than I don't think I should even bother getting the Sims 3. Please help?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yeah, you would have to buy the ram and 10.5.

Edit: Your link for the ram seems right, but the other is wrong.

Here is the link for OS X 10.5.6 (Then its a free update to 10.5.7)

3. moonysgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a relief. I saw the price on the other thing ($499) and I just lost all hope. But I'm still unsure if I should get it. It's all a lot of money. Like $250...:( Is 10.5 really that great?

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I personally think it would be worth it! If you can't do it all at once, upgrade the ram first. We'll know more about 10.6 tomorrow, so maybe you will be able skip over Leopard and go to straight to Snow Leopard. ;)

5. muldul macrumors 6502

Um, yeah! But wait for snow leopard, that will just be even better

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It not worth doing right now. I'd wait until Snow Leopard comes out, it'll be a few months extra wait, but it'll be much longer until you would have to update again.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Number one: Don't buy this game from the Apple Store. It's much cheaper elsewhere (both the Windows and OS X versions are on the same disc)

Number two: Forget installing it in OS X and run it in Windows instead. You'll get much better performance from the game.

8. traiecto macrumors newbie

traiecto

You mean a PC with Windows, or can I use my XP installation running with Parallels?

9. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

its the sims... its ok I got it for free tho :rolleyes: argg

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think he is talking BootCamp or an emulation scheme such as Crossover/Parallels. However, my impression there are issues with the latter. BootCamp/WinXP is the best bet and you might be able to run it on your current setup except that WinXP will cost you about $80 I think, so more money... :( For Crossover/Parallels, wait until someone reports performance via that route before leaping. :)

11. shadowxtdw macrumors newbie

12. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Great game IMO, but beware, if you don't like the genre you may get bored soon...very soon.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

He means Bootcamp. You'll always get better performance from XP than OSX when it comes to games, at least for the time being.

You're cool. I hope I can be as cool as you someday.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I loved the first version. The 2nd version, it WAS been there done that very quickly. I do like that they have taken some of the micro-management (like managing your toons bladder- now they don't wet their pants) out of the game, and wandering around town seems intriguing, but is it enough to return? :)

15. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Mmm...mainly the new features are the neighborhood, the careers, the creation of personalities. The neighborhood is quite big, so there's a lot to do there (and I'm sure that EA will release new neighborhoods). Now, I've only played the console version of the Sims 2 (Which was horrible), so I'm really liking the Sims 3. I think the best thing would be to try the Demo.