Since Apple flat out lied about the Leopard delay...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by McGarvels, Apr 13, 2007.

1. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Do you think they are lying about the "TOP SECRET" features as well?!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

OMG!!111!!!! What do you mean, "Apple flat out lied?"

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Apple is not your girlfriend, or your mom, or your best friend. It's a company.

They didn't lie. They failed to reach an announced target. They've done it before. They'll do it again.

4. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Didn't they "vehemently" deny the rumor from digitimes and that Leopard was still on track for Spring? Maybe I was dreaming that?

5. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

:( I know. It's doesn't make me feel any better though:p

Don't get me wrong, I'm not that upset. I just really wanted Leopard sooner than October. Oh well.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Things go off track.

7. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Which is totally understandable. I just think that they knew a week ago when they denied the rumor that they were in fact going to delay the Leopard release. Just an opinion, not a fact

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Fair enough. Me too, probably. I'm definitely waiting for Leopard before I buy a new computer. I was hoping to have my options clear before October, especially if I end up moving to another country before October. Then I may have to buy before Leopard comes out.

9. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Well I definitely think Apple will update its hardware before they release Leopard. If not, then oh well. As people have said, Tiger is awesome and the hardware they do have out is spectacular.

I just am not patient and hate waiting. It's a vice I know...

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Priorities have shifted and that development hardly makes Apple unique. As to your other point about top secret features, there may be something that will appear, but I would definitely lower the expectations of anything with a real "wow" factor. The scent of hyperbole is in the air and only time will tell.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Seems to me that if there are secret features, WWDC will be a good time to announce them. It'd give them something to talk about, and it's unlikely they'd be able to keep them under wraps forever anyway.

12. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Which of the features do you need so desparately?

13. macjay macrumors 6502

Apple lied. Digitimes' report was right on, and Apple denied it. Did Digitimes know something that Apple didn't? Probably not. At the time Apple PR was probably still trying to figure out what their excuse would be, so finally they decided to use the iPhone as the excuse and use the Leopard delay press release as a promotion for the iPhone!

Oh, and I think mkrishnan was being ironical.

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

15. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I never said "I NEED" I said "I WANT" those are two completely different verbs. Look them up in the dictionary. Actually, here are the definitions:

need |nēd| verb [ trans. ] 1 require (something) because it is essential or very important : I need help now | [with present participle ] this shirt needs washing | [with infinitive ] they need to win tomorrow.

want |wänt; wônt| verb 1 [ trans. ] have a desire to possess or do (something); wish for : I want an apple | [with infinitive ] we want to go to the beach | [ trans. ] she wanted me to go to her room | [ intrans. ] I'll give you a lift into town if you want.

16. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I know and sorry for the thread...again it was more of an upset rant. Don't judge me too harshly :D

17. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

This is a sad time for :apple:. They really need to get their priorities straight. Because of this, I will not be buying an iPhone.

Sorry Apple, you just lost an iPhone costumer.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Get over it?

Seriously, I have to wonder why anyone would expect any corporation to tell all to whomever asks, or to respond to rumors in any way, shape or form. It's just not a happening thing -- not with Apple, not with nobody.

As for their explanation, I think it's at least plausible. Experienced software engineers can't be bought off the shelf at Wal-Mart. For one I am happy that Apple hasn't succumbed to Microsoft's apparent tendency to hire lots of inexperienced people, and end up with products like Vista -- shipped with many promised features missing, and very late.

The explanation also raises a somewhat troubling question: Is Apple trying to push forward on too many fronts? They may be bumping up against the limitations of the available human resources, not just at Apple, but within the tech industries as a whole. The implication is, this could be a constraint on future growth. I don't believe Apple would have admitted to this if it wasn't true.

19. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

20. macjay macrumors 6502

Get over what? I have nothing to "get over."

It's one thing to not respond to a rumor. It's another, in the face of a very specific rumor, to deny it, then a few weeks later the rumor is proved to be true.

I've been a stock market investor for a number of years and I've seen public corporations lie and mislead enough times to in general not trust them, even if it's Apple. That Apple exec who reconfirmed Leopard would ship in the spring was lying, perhaps to buy some time for how they would explain it from a PR perspective. It's that simple.

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Quite true, Vista being delayed for ~5 years is an excellent example! :D :cool: :apple:

22. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

HAHA that was awesome

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I would prefer that it started with my government, but I'm not that crazy.

24. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I think many people here feel emotionally attached to apple because it's led by a figurehead. When the company does something like they did yesterday, we (including me) see steve jobs saying it. When you personify the company, you act emotionally.

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Microsoft, Dell, and Sony - they never lie...:p