Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
If the iPhone 6 rumors are true and we would get a choice between the 4.7 and the 5.5 which one would you get knowing that you couldn't use one-hand to operate it? I seriously doubt if I could one-hand the 4.7 since I can barely do it comfortably now with the 4.0 iPhone 5s. I am not happy I can't one-hand, instead will enjoy a bigger screen and resign my self that I'll need 2 hands to use it. But at some point a phone is just too big. Btw, One Touch on the 5s really helps with one-hand use!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Get the one that feels/works best for you in all aspects, not just size.

Of course to do that you'll need to have a chance to try one out, which is rather difficult to do with no announced product or specifications. :cool:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Given that the specs are the same and those options I'd go 4.7.

However there are phones out there that have a 4.5-4.7 screen that I can use one handed just as easily as my iPhone.

With a good case design (minimal bezel) along with OS and app design (gestures and majority of functions toward the bottom) Apple shouldn't have any problem making an iPhone with a larger screen.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
If the iPhone 6 rumors are true and we would get a choice between the 4.7 and the 5.5 which one would you get knowing that you couldn't use one-hand to operate it? I seriously doubt if I could one-hand the 4.7 since I can barely do it comfortably now with the 4.0 iPhone 5s. I am not happy I can't one-hand, instead will enjoy a bigger screen and resign my self that I'll need 2 hands to use it. But at some point a phone is just too big. Btw, One Touch on the 5s really helps with one-hand use!
All things being equal? 4.7"
Leaves another size to upgrade further if I wish in 2-3 more years :)

I suspect the 5.5 would have significantly better battery life. Which would sway me.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
In my experience, one-handing a 4.7" is very doable and I don't have huge hands. 5.5" is way out of the realm of one-handed use though so I'm not even going to consider it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I think that you still can operate one-handed a 4.7" smartphone, if it is well designed.
I'm curious to see what Apple will do.

----------

what are you referring to as one touch?

Maybe assistive touch option ....

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I have rather large hands, and my main gripe is texting and calling with one hand which I find pretty easy on my iPhone 5.
As long as it doesn't get super wide, I'm totally fine with a 4.7" phone.
But 5.5 I think is too large, so looking forward to that 4.7!

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
While I don't think I have big hands, I do think I could cover most of the screen one handed on a 5.7" device. I will go for the biggest they offer and hopefully it will do a good enough job so I can give my iPad mini to my daughter.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
While I don't think I have big hands, I do think I could cover most of the screen one handed on a 5.7" device. I will go for the biggest they offer and hopefully it will do a good enough job so I can give my iPad mini to my daughter.

If you hold it with one hand is just physically IMPOSSIBLE to cover the screen one handed on a 5.7" device ...

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Ooops, I meant TouchID. It makes it easier and safer to use iPhone one-handed as I don't have to enter a passcode. Safer since less likely to drop phone as I don't have to enter passcode. I tend to enter that code too fast sometimes which would increase chance of dropping phone.

what are you referring to as one touch?

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
My current phone is a 4.7" screen and I have no problem using it with one hand. I find it to be the perfect screen size, not too big, not too small. I would love it if the phone size were more closely matched to the screen size though.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
If you hold it with one hand is just physically IMPOSSIBLE to cover the screen one handed on a 5.7" device ...

Ok.... I didn't say I could cover all of it. I said most... I used my friends Note 3 the other day and the only thing I couldn't reach was the far corner with my thumb. So I would say that qualifies as most.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
For those of you that aren't aware of what Samsung has done to simplify one handed operation on a 5.7" device, take a look -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XB3YnwwX-A

A fair amount of what you need to do one handed can be done, even without large hands. I think Apple is smart enough to figure this out too.

Notice too that his hands aren't that big and he can cover roughly 90% of the screen.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
But I need to be able to reach the volume buttons with my right hand thumb!!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
For those of you that aren't aware of what Samsung has done to simplify one handed operation on a 5.7" device, take a look -

A fair amount of what you need to do one handed can be done, even without large hands. I think Apple is smart enough to figure this out too.

Notice too that his hands aren't that big and he can cover roughly 90% of the screen.

Typical Samsung gimmick .... The reality is that a phablet just need two hand to be operated. Period.
If you can live with it, you are fine, otherwise you have to look for something else.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Funny, i have average sized hands if anything and i could easily handle the Note 3 with one hand easily while driving...Even the Nokia 1520 i could the same, a little more difficult on that one but still easily manageable.

It's funny i see all these girls at work with Note 3's and Galaxy s4's with tiny hands and they are not complaining at all.. It seems some of the guys here must have the guys hands in the Burger King commercials...

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Even 4.3 inch would make a huge difference.

One thing I miss about my old Razr Maxx was that extra .3 inches of real estate - believe it or not it made a huge difference.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

Investigation #101

Better look as to how he holds the phone to get around the screen. Look at the finger tips. The phone is at the very tips of it, and the palm is where I hold the phone, not near the finger tips for easy use. This is lame of Samsung. And if you look closer you see in the picture he has to hold the edge with his thumb so it won't slip off

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 6.42.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 6.42.38 PM.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 89

hummus

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
I feel like they broke one-handed use with the 5. I can't reach the opposite top corner with my thumb without shifting my grip as it is (usually taking my pinky finger off the bottom edge of the phone and shifting it to the back, and so in some situations I need a second hand or risk dropping), so I feel like there will be very little difference with a larger phone as far as that is concerned. My main question is what size phone I'll actually feel comfortable with in my pocket.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Ooops, I meant TouchID. It makes it easier and safer to use iPhone one-handed as I don't have to enter a passcode. Safer since less likely to drop phone as I don't have to enter passcode. I tend to enter that code too fast sometimes which would increase chance of dropping phone.

haha i don't think the safety of the phone was the main goal but hey whatever works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.