Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cali4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Since a 4G LTE iphone will NOT be available till late 2012 or maybe 2013?
This based off of the common sense that apple's iphone 4S/5 wont release till later this year or maybe early next year, and the iphone 4S/5 won't be LTE. SO that means the next iphone won't hit till late 2012 maybe early 2013 Cause apple likes at least one year or more of life cycle on all products. So that mean NO new iphone in july 2012! No LTE 4G till maybe mid to late 2012 or sometime in 2013..................

Anyone find this unacceptable and dumping the iphone 4 this year for a Droid Bionic LTE 4G or LTE 4G Galaxy S2?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I would still be fine with a new 3G iPhone. Not everyone in the U.S. can use 4G LTE anyway. or... maybe I feel this way since I've been using 4G LTE with my iPhone 4 and iPad 2.:p I jump back and forth from 3G to 4G, and I really don't mind 3G speed. The only time I see a difference is when streaming NetFlix movies and youtube. I have to many iTune purchases to think about jumping ship... even though I would like to try something different. But not to upset about not getting a 4G LTE iPhone in the near future.

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
4G now is like 3G was hen it rolled out. It's only in select cities. Many people will own a 4G phone and won't even have a 4G signal. Hell AT&T still doesn't have 3G coverage in most of the areas they serve. Maybe in 5 years 4G will be as available as 3G is now.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
Since a 4G LTE iphone will NOT be available till late 2012 or maybe 2013?
This based off of the common sense that apple's iphone 4S/5 wont release till later this year or maybe early next year, and the iphone 4S/5 won't be LTE. SO that means the next iphone won't hit till late 2012 maybe early 2013 Cause apple likes at least one year or more of life cycle on all products. So that mean NO new iphone in july 2012! No LTE 4G till maybe mid to late 2012 or sometime in 2013..................

Anyone find this unacceptable and dumping the iphone 4 this year for a Droid Bionic LTE 4G or LTE 4G Galaxy S2?

Dude... The iPhone already has LTE. It's called Wireless N WiFi. LOL... :cool:

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
Nope, I'm holding out for LTE as well. I know that the iPhone 5 won't have it just due to the fact that networks in England and Canada are still rolling out their 4G, and I would hope that Apple would care about them too. Also, battery life is still a big problem with 4G.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Unacceptable is harsh, they dont owe us lte. That being said i am thinking about going with an lte phone on my verizon line if 1) i can keep unlimited data plan 2) i can hack it for free tethering. Because im happy with my ipad 2 on unlimited att 3g

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I bought the 4 shortly after release. Assuming I don't do something like lose or break it, I plan to skip this version. Maybe LTE will be available by then, and I will be out of contract so I can consider the Verizon one then. Depending on how LTE is supported by ATT and Verizon in my area.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
My carrier doesn't have LTE and, as of right now, battery technology isn't ready for LTE. Even if I had Verizon, a carrier that has LTE, I would probably get an HTC Incredible 2 over one of their 4G phones considering how inefficient LTE is (while comparing Android to Android ... otherwise I'd get a VZW iPhone)

Plus, most carriers charge for tethering, and I'm not going to notice LTE speeds while loading my email on my phone

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
The iPhone will get LTE when including it doesn't decrease battery life from the previous year. Jobs would never announce a battery life decrease.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
LTE isn't in the cities were I live and work so it's not a big deal for me. Most people that have these LTE phones can't even use 4G most of the time.

Not to meantion that LTE at this point is a battery killer.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
LTE isn't in the cities were I live and work so it's not a big deal for me. Most people that have these LTE phones can't even use 4G most of the time.

Not to meantion that LTE at this point is a battery killer.

+1

Check out the reviews on some of the Android LTE phones. They all note the horrible battery life (especially the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt). In Apple's view, people will blame the iPhone for the poor battery life, not the LTE mode. Apple doesn't want that until the LTE chipsets are efficient enough. Same with the 3G chipsets when the first iPhone came out. Steve Jobs even stated as much at one of his Keynotes.

While I'm sure many of you are lucky enough to live or work in LTE markets, I do not. I'm about 25 minutes outside the nearest LTE service zone according to Verizon's maps, so the vast majority of the time LTE would be useless for me even if the phone had it.

Besides, I guarantee there are tons of people running around, showing off their shiny new 4G phones, oblivious to the fact that they aren't in a 4G service area.

Cali4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
+1

Check out the reviews on some of the Android LTE phones. They all note the horrible battery life (especially the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt). In Apple's view, people will blame the iPhone for the poor battery life, not the LTE mode. Apple doesn't want that until the LTE chipsets are efficient enough. Same with the 3G chipsets when the first iPhone came out. Steve Jobs even stated as much at one of his Keynotes.

While I'm sure many of you are lucky enough to live or work in LTE markets, I do not. I'm about 25 minutes outside the nearest LTE service zone according to Verizon's maps, so the vast majority of the time LTE would be useless for me even if the phone had it.

Besides, I guarantee there are tons of people running around, showing off their shiny new 4G phones, oblivious to the fact that they aren't in a 4G service area.
With dual-core and quad-core chips coming soon, It could be 2 years or so before battery efficient LTE chips are avail that can efficiently manage battery life with both LTE and dual-core/quad-core chips, if apple waits 2 years or more before adding LTE then they are seriously missing the boat.................

Last edited:

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
The faster speeds are welcome, but 4G/LTE/whatever just isn't that important to me in a mobile device at this time. 3G speeds suit my needs just fine. The OS, camera, battery life, reception, etc... factor in more heavily in terms of desires/needs.

I would like a slightly larger display from Apple, but that's not going to push me towards another buying Android again.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
What's with all this LTE talk?

Edge works fine and 3G is a privilege to be used since its considerably faster.

4G is like speed like speed of sound, unless you are a heavy heavy user, 3G fits over 99.999% of people.

Hop off the bandwagon and just use 3G.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I like connecting to 4G LTE, and enjoy the speed of it... but 3G is good enough for mobile devices. 4G isn't that great since it's not available everywhere. What's annoying is when my 4G LTE device switches back and forth from 4G to 3G. It basically stalls when it switches... so 4G isn't perfect. As far as battery, it reminds of when the first iPhone came out, and everyone was wondering why it didn't come with 3G, and only edge. Then the iPhone 3G came out, and a lot of people disabled 3G and used edge to conserve battery... lol...

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Looking back I should have went with VZW to lock into unltd LTE.

Do you think VZW will offer unltd LTE for existing unltd data users?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.