Since the iphone 5 will not be LTE,will u switch to a LTE android device in 2011?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, May 19, 2011.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

So since the iphone 4S/ iphone 5 will not be 4G LTE, will you be jumping ship to a LTE 4G android device in 2011? If so which one? IF not why not?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

And how do you know it won't be LTE?

Anyways, I plan on getting an iPhone 5 regardless of what it gets.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You can't say that until SJ says it...

I will upgrade to the next iPhone even w/out LTE. LTE is gonna cost more monthly and I don't want to pay more, besides the battery issues. I also like my apps.

4. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

LTE isn't that serious and I enjoy battery life.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Difference: Opinion > Fact

Stating at the point that it "will not be" is just your opinion, not a fact.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

With Verizon announcing a tiered data plan starting sometime this summer, I going hang on to my unlimited data plan with my iphone 4 for the next 2 years. After my contract expires, I will shop around since the iphone will be on every network in the US by then.

7. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I will never again consider Android. The more times I try it the more I hate it.

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

If you absolutely positively must have the latest tech the moment you can grab it, Android is for you. Just keep switching phones 2 or 3 times a year, and you'll be bleeding edge each time.

In the real world, where LTE is not that common yet, and any phone with it will work for some folks but basically be 3G for everyone else based on their location, it makes sense to hang off on LTE until the phone companies finally get LTE fully rolled out. That's part of why Apple is waiting so that when the iPhone supports LTE, the LTE network will be ready to support the iPhone.

Most people will not switch from their iPhone just to get a few extra months of LTE coverage that may or may not work for them consistently. The few who would make such a trade are already on Android. And getting ready to swap phones yet again.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you have a suggestion on how I am going to be able to manage Android's fragmentation, then please tell me.

LTE is not a deal breaker for me and it's no use for me until my areas are covered.

11. joshuarobi macrumors regular

I've had a Droid since day 1 and I can't wait to throw it in the ocean. Used iPhone 4 for me.

12. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I don't need LTE in the iPhone, until 2013, where it'll actually be existent in the UK. But, I do appreciate that a select few have LTE converge in the US, and some have it coming to their area, in the near future.

LTE won't really be useful in the UK, until 2013; LTE is useful for the 1% of US people that have it.

The dealbreaker, for me, will be the screen size; contrast, brightness and black is black / white is white; and, finally, iOS 5 ... for the iPhone 5

For the iPhone 6 / 7, I'll probably have LTE in my area, and, therefore, would like to be getting for what I pay for (in the contract), assuming LTE is more expensive than 3G, and you're forced to get a LTE contract, with a LTE phone.

13. pman219 macrumors 6502a

pman219

My OPINION:

Those who swear by and praise Android are those who have never had an iPhone.

LTE Shmell-TE.
    Would never go back to droid anything

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Even if the next iPhone had the option of having lte I wouldn't want it. Huge waste of battery...

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Nope. Too much invested in iOS apps and the quality of android apps is inferior

16. Born Again macrumors regular

Can I ask u why u need LTE?

Is your data consumption so slow that u will give up the apple Eco system?

I do want to say It would be nice but not a deal breaker YET

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'll love LTE...once it's really out there.

I have no desire to get the latest power-hungry LTE chip just for those few times I happen to be somewhere that there's a tower providing it.

Even if the 2012 iPhone has LTE I'm pretty it won't be a big deal to have it in your phone until 2013.

I'm not really worreid about it right now.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Unless android can run iOS apps there is no real justification to run crappy android web apps faster.

19. jellybean macrumors regular

I swear by and praise Android and I've owned all versions of the iPhone except the first. I also happen to swear by and praise iPhone/iOS. I wish I could pick just one and stick with it but both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer the overall OS of Android but prefer the apps and iPod functionality of iPhone.
    Is it possible to be a fanboy of both?!

To answer the OP, I'd love to have any phone with LTE but unfortunately it's non-existent here in the UK at present.

20. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

If I switch away from the iPhone, it will be to a "feature phone" + iPod Touch combination.

Too invested in Apps.
    Too invested in iTunes.
    Rarely find myself outside of a WiFi blanket.
    When I do find myself using 3G, it doesn't really 'feel slow'. Of course, faster is always better, but 3G is fast enough that 4G isn't exactly a compelling need.

21. OceanView macrumors 65816

It will depend on what the iPhone 5 brings.
    Too early at this time to answer this question.
    The only phone I would consider at this time is the Samsung Infuse.
    The 4.5 inch screen looks great.

22. milani macrumors 68000

milani

The moderately faster LTE speeds would never make up for the shortcomings of Android OS.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Nope, not upgrading until my contract runs out in 2012. And even if I was this year, 4G is nowhere near a make or break thing for me. In fact, I could see it being a bad thing as AT&T will probably use it as a way to force me to get off unlimited if I want the new phone. 3G is fast enough that it's not really that bothersome. It's not even like when I had to use modems to connect to the net.

So I'm not sure I want 4G to be on the 2012 phone (Though I have a feeling I am just going to have to suck up losing my unlimited if I want a 2012 phone).

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I would sooner use the original iPhone on Edge than an LTE Android phone ;)

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hell no.
    As long as the next iphone is HSPA+ I'd be more than happy.
    Speeds in my area are great, I dont want my phone to die in 2 hours and have to charge it 3 times a day like other LTE phones.