Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhml92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Okay there were no update but instead of moaning why not try to see the best in the situation..

The MBP seems to be in need of a face lift so isn't there some of you photoshoppers who could come up with some mockups??

It would do it myself but since i dont have a decent computer and rather would burn in hell then use paint i ask you.

(it might also be because i suck at using paint)

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Man I'm sick of hearing about this "Macbook Pro update." Everyone told me not to buy one when I did a month before christmas and you know what? They were all wrong. They are more than fast enough for everything you would want to do with a laptop.

*rant over* Sorry, just annoyed.

Rabbleboy

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Have to agree with the MBP update.. I am up for my first buy, and I want it to be fully up-to-date when I do.. All i'm asking is a new GPU and the Penryn CPU.
Anyone have any "rumors" to throw around. It's been 6 months since the GPU was last updated or am i wrong?

I am going for the low end MBP and not going to sell everything i have to get the big package(even though it wold be awesome), and i just think it is too unsure to buy one of the low ends now..

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Have to agree with the MBP update.. I am up for my first buy, and I want it to be fully up-to-date when I do.. All i'm asking is a new GPU and the Penryn CPU.
Anyone have any "rumors" to throw around. It's been 6 months since the GPU was last updated or am i wrong?

I am going for the low end MBP and not going to sell everything i have to get the big package(even though it wold be awesome), and i just think it is too unsure to buy one of the low ends now..
Welcome to MacWaiters. Why the uncertainty? The inevitable did not happen. A MBP update was, for all intents and purposes, guaranteed all over this forum. Didn't happen. Stop waiting. Waiting is for suckers.

scypher84

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I've been waiting since August. Why? Because I can. Until it comes out, I will continue bitching, because really, an update is long overdue.

MoreMaypo

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I think the reasonable thing for the waiters (including myself) to do is to continue waiting until ~mid-February. If they don't at least do a processor update by then, you can count on waiting until ~June for a major update.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I've been waiting since August. Why? Because I can. Until it comes out, I will continue bitching, because really, an update is long overdue.

Stridder44 said:

I too have been waiting since August, since the release of the new iMac's.

I am in no hurry for a MBP so I will wait as long as it takes. I am also waiting for a CPU upgrade in the iMac's before I buy one of those too...especially with the high end model now showing as 'discontinued'.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I think the reasonable thing for the waiters (including myself) to do is to continue waiting until ~mid-February. If they don't at least do a processor update by then, you can count on waiting until ~June for a major update.

I'd be happy waiting til next christmas if I had to.... all the time saving up even more money to put towards my new machine.

If the MBP is updated within the next 2 months, I will also be buying a new 'redesigned' model when that arrives.

jumpinjoe

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
I too have been waiting since August, since the release of the new iMac's.

I am in no hurry for a MBP so I will wait as long as it takes. I am also waiting for a CPU upgrade in the iMac's before I buy one of those too...especially with the high end model now showing as 'discontinued'.

Where does the high end imac show as discontinued?
I think there will soon be an upgrade to the Macbookpros. Like the macpros, the form will stay the same, and the internals changed. Nothing fancy for Steve to show on stage, but it will get an update. Probably just the Penryn processor, but an upgraded GPU would be nice.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Where does the high end imac show as discontinued?
I think there will soon be an upgrade to the Macbookpros. Like the macpros, the form will stay the same, and the internals changed. Nothing fancy for Steve to show on stage, but it will get an update. Probably just the Penryn processor, but an upgraded GPU would be nice.

On all/most European Apple Online Stores. It shows "Ready to ship: Discontinued"

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Let me be the first to say this to you. LMAO. An update is LONG overdue? Why? Man the people here live in a fantasy land it is laughable.

What makes you say or even think that?

The laptop design has been EXACTLY the same since the Aluminium PowerBook G4. Therefore, yes the design itself is long overdue.

As for spec's, the spec was last updated in June 2007, so again, the spec's are way out of date.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006

The laptop design has been EXACTLY the same since the Aluminium PowerBook G4. Therefore, yes the design itself is long overdue.

As for spec's, the spec was last updated in June 2007, so again, the spec's are way out of date.

Apple doesn't tend to update it's products as much as PC manufactures, a little over 6 months really isn't "long overdue". I'd say it's about time for an update, but probably not a major one given the Air announcement. Long overdue is when we start seeing 9+ months from an internals update.

If you think 6 months is "long overdue" how quickly do you think they should be rolling out updates?

Rabbleboy

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Its true the design is kinda old.. But I don't really think it matters, it's still stylish and neutral. As for waiting i don't mind either - i'm not in a hurry, but i would indeed like to see some leakes about intended updates soon ............... I'm all after the internals, just hope they will be satisfying.:cool:

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Apple doesn't tend to update it's products as much as PC manufactures, a little over 6 months really isn't "long overdue". I'd say it's about time for an update, but probably not a major one given the Air announcement. Long overdue is when we start seeing 9+ months from an internals update.

If you think 6 months is "long overdue" how quickly do you think they should be rolling out updates?

Please read my initial post.

gazfocus said:

I was saying that the design of the MacBook Pro is long overdue an update because it's been the same for several years.

I was just saying that the spec's are out of date in line with that of other manufacturers in the same price bracket. Dell are currently on 2.6Ghz processors for under £1000.

I know it's not really fair to compare an Apple with a Dell, but Apple are using Intel processors to enable them to update the machines quicker than with PowerPC processors.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...

By your post I can tell you do not know much about PC hardware. The specs are way out of date? Really? You have no idea how wrong you are, that is the funny part. There is NO NEW MOBILE CHIPSET YET. So any 'new' updates would simply be a new processor (Penryn) which is hardly a worthy move to call it 'updated'. Quite simply, there is nothing to update to yet. The next chipset is Montevina, which will be out later this year. I don't expect Apple to do much UNTIL then. It would make sense to redesign the case then if they plan to do that as well.

In laymens terms THERE IS NOTHING TO UPGRADE TO YET. If you want to educate yourself on Montevina: http://www.wimax.com/commentary/blog/blog-2007/intel-montevina-wimax

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
By your post I can tell you do not know much about PC hardware. The specs are way out of date? Really? You have no idea how wrong you are, that is the funny part. There is NO NEW MOBILE CHIPSET YET. So any 'new' updates would simply be a new processor (Penryn) which is hardly a worthy move to call it 'updated'. Quite simply, there is nothing to update to yet. The next chipset is Montevina, which will be out later this year. I don't expect Apple to do much UNTIL then. It would make sense to redesign the case then if they plan to do that as well.

In laymens terms THERE IS NOTHING TO UPGRADE TO YET. If you want to educate yourself on Montevina: http://www.wimax.com/commentary/blog/blog-2007/intel-montevina-wimax

LMAO you're funny. I'm an IT Support Techie and I do an IT Degree at University but I don't know anything about hardware? Hmmmmm.

The Penryn CPU's offer more performance that the SR CPU's. (Not just in clock speeds either). There have been numerous reports stating this. People are also crying out to Apple to include better GPU's/VRAM and Bigger HDD's.

It's not all about CPU's and Chipsets!!!

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Then you wouldn't say an update (in hardware) is long overdue.

People, please read my posts!!!!! The only thing I said was "Long Overdue" was the design of the MBP.

I was simply stating that the hardware is likely to be updated before the new chipsets are released, in order to keep up with they market. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to completely miss Penryn altogether just because of Montevina would it?

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...

scypher84

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Haha, this is essentially an argument between those who did wait and those that didn't, or those whose needs were met by the Macbook Air and those whose needs weren't met. Let me bitch and be free.

The thing is, everyone here pretty much convinced me that the new MBPs would be released at MWSF. Normally I'd be pretty skeptical about rumors like that but this community seemed reasonably confident that it would happen (what with the whole Buyer's Guide saying "DO NOT BUY, UPDATES SOON" in big bold red letters). Internet, you have failed me once again.

wentwj,
I will be back in 3 months if that doesn't happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.