SINGLE 'must have' feature of iPad 2 / iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Europium, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Europium macrumors newbie

It seems that with every major new tablet (xoom, touchpad), companies are finding out how to do everyday tasks quicker simpler and better than ever before while at the same time demonstrating creativity. Take HPwebOS 'touch to share'. It's so natural you wonder why other companies haven't implemented it yet (at least on such a large and consumer oriented scale). So with apple's iPad 2/iOS 5 on the horizon, what would be this amazing new feature that will make consumers flock to get it?

2. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Below this line, people who live under a rock demanding unrealistically high screen resolutions.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

1. 1GB of RAM so Safari doesn't reload web pages constantly.
    2. New gestures so you don't have to wear out your home button trying to "multitask."
    3. "Home Sharing" support (which has to be coming since the Apple TV supports it and it's an iOS device) so you don't have to sync your iTunes library if you are within Wi-fi distance of your Mac.

I'd take #1.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Be able to connect the tablet to any computer you are near to, PC or MAC which means USB.
    And be able to transfer files to and from the device, between the iPad and the Computer in question

This of course will never be allowed to happen :(

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's great but given that the current iPad is at 256mb, I'd think its more likely they if we do get a bump in ram, it will only be to 512mb. To be honest, I wouldn't be terribly shocked if apple doesn't even bump up the ram either.

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

I would be SHOCKED if they left it at 256. SHOCKED! If they do leave it at 256, they are becoming too complacent then

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

+1 for the iPad hardware

+ a file system for iOS

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The one thing I'd love to have in iOS 5 is the Apple TV software / Frontrow available on the iPad: Being able to use the iPad as an Apple TV with a built-in screen would be a real killer feature IMO. And before people start suggesting Air Video or similar from the App Store, they don't support DRM protected files and as 80% of my videos are from the iTunes store, are useless for me

10. Donny Jepp macrumors member

11. thesmoth macrumors 6502

There are actually several MUST have features.

1)TOTALLY revamped notifications system.

2) Some significant unifying UI upgrade, like the upcoming mission control for osx lion.

3) Some sort of widgets system, but if the mission control thing is super amazing then maybe not 100% needed, but still would be nice.

4) A very basic file system.

12. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Why does everyone want 1GB of RAM its better to have optimized safari and a slight boost to 512 MB of RAM I think so then you get a better quality app as well as a bit of RAM.

13. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

trust me you dint want ios to have a file system. its the most horrible thing they could do to ios. a file system on a handheld computer just doesn't work.

14. thesmoth macrumors 6502

100% wrong. OBVIOUSLY it's better to get 1 gig of ram AND optimized safari.

Ram is dirt cheap everyone, the ONLY reason apple would include 512 megs would be to cripple yet another iPad and force future updates sooner than needed (which is a huge slap in the face to consumers, just like the iPad 1 having 256 megs of ram). Why are people on this board so blind sometimes? You would defend apple if they released an iPad 2 with WORSE specs on the first one.

15. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

1) More RAM (likely 512, but 1GB would be nice)
    2) A Notification system. Current one was fine before Apps, now it's essentially unusable. Something like Notifo App would be nice. I really like the quiet hours of the service/app.

16. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

A setting that lets the user choose which app to launch by default (such as Skype) when clicking on phone numbers in Google Maps, Safari, Address Book, etc.

Feedback sent to Apple as well.

17. Beezy macrumors regular

Wow I thought iPad had 512. I am shocked. The iPhone4 already has a gig. The iPad should have at least a gig IMO. If it doesn't then I will just wait for the next one. I would like to do live music with it. Shouldn't we know what it has by now? Isnt in production? Dang they have some tight lips over there.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPhone 4 has 512 mb.

Not sure what you mean by live music, but there are plenty of music apps that seem to do fine with the current 256mb.

19. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

That's what a true iSheep would do. :D

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

1) Page File. Because even with 1 gig of memory, having 20 instances of Safari open at one time is not going to be good enough for some people. They will demand 25.

2) Tabbed browsing in Safari. Would also like for the option of having Safari id it's self as just Safari, and not mobile Safari. Some developers just don't get it.

3) Real network printing. Not that HP eprint crap. Apple could keep 'drivers' online, you would download the driver the first time you wanted to use that printer.

4) Real Excel.

5) Abilty to delete email without it opening in the preview pane. (Shut off the preview pane).

6) The touch feature that jailbreakme.com had. Where you touch the top left of the screen and the menu opens to adjust brightness, wifi, free memory, ect.

7) Widgets on the search screen. What a waste it is now. You wouldn't have to use them, but I like the idea.

8) MacRumors to start an Android tablet forum to get the Android threads off the iPad forum.

21. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

5) Swiping to the right?

22. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Double screen resolution in each direction. Current resolution is too low to properly display A4/legal paper scans.

23. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Flash Player - and the option to turn it off if you like for the extreme flash haters. it should come default with it turned off so to not anger that whiny bunch

24. Beezy macrumors regular

I stand corrected. Well it should have at least 512 then but the music apps are designed with the specs in mind so of course they work fine but a lot more could be done with 1 gig.

25. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

There is a way of doing this already; if you place your iTunes videos on a web server then Safari on the iPad will happily play them back (provided that it is authenticated with the iTunes account that bought the videos) Have a look at this thread for more details. That thread only talks about using the OSX version of apache however I've tested the idea out with my Linux server and it works fine. I expect that a web server on Windows would also work.

The downsides to this are that it only works with iTunes supported formats, the interface for browsing is pretty basic (it only shows file names) and it isn't much use for music as you can only playback one song at a time.