Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I just want a channel back button on the remote.

I wish they'd have an official "Made for tvOS" remote program so full fledged 3rd party bluetooth w/microphone alternatives could be a thing. Our ATV's aren't line of sight so IR only replacement models are a non-starter (also an issue for the old silver one, beyond the volume control)

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
That makes sense. Plus they have the Roku app which works as an actual cable box. It’s been free and in beta, but I’m sure it will be live and cost money this year.
My guess is that the beta was created back when the FTC or FCC, whatever, made it illegal to have locked cable boxes. Comcast probably decided to have this Roku thing in the wings so they could get a foothold in a new sort of cable box market. Now of course that rule has been rolled back like everything else pro-consumer pre-Trump, so I'd be very surprised if Comcast focuses any more effort on it. Back to the ol' cable box. Nothing you as a consumer can legally do now.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I totally agree - The remote is the one thing that I think is way better on Roku.

In my testing with family members who've not used YTTV on either device, they intuitively get their way around with the traditional D-pad and layout and feel of the Roku remote and buttons and the materials.

I'd switch to an old silver ATV remote if it had volume buttons, but sadly it does not.

The Siri remote is ruining my f'in life.
It's just not a good design for a TV remote. It looks nice and is fancy, but there are legitimate usability issues with it. So irritated they don't offer a "pro remote" or multiple options or re-design it or something..

I have a harmony remote, so that helps solve the annoying remote :D. In fact, I don't even know where my ATV remote is.
[doublepost=1519593255][/doublepost]
My guess is that the beta was created back when the FTC or FCC, whatever, made it illegal to have locked cable boxes. Comcast probably decided to have this Roku thing in the wings so they could get a foothold in a new sort of cable box market. Now of course that rule has been rolled back like everything else pro-consumer pre-Trump, so I'd be very surprised if Comcast focuses any more effort on it. Back to the ol' cable box. Nothing you as a consumer can legally do now.

As it stands now, it is perfect while it is free. The second they charge for the roku app (they warn you when you download the app that it is free now, but it could change) I will just get a cable box for that room assuming it is the same price. I hope it stays in beta mode forever though. I am the only person I actually know that uses it.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I have a harmony remote, so that helps solve the annoying remote :D. In fact, I don't even know where my ATV remote is.
[doublepost=1519593255][/doublepost]

As it stands now, it is perfect while it is free. The second they charge for the roku app (they warn you when you download the app that it is free now, but it could change) I will just get a cable box for that room assuming it is the same price. I hope it stays in beta mode forever though. I am the only person I actually know that uses it.
Yeah, rock it while it works and don't update until you read all the changes first. I'm all for using whatever works best for any individual. Each have different needs and preferences. I have a friend that used to, maybe still, rock an Argosy Media Box. Yeah, good luck googling that one...page 2 is the first result. But it worked and he loved it for his media.

Reactions: mattopotamus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.