Single Sign-On Now Available in tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Sometime over the course of the last few hours, Apple appears to have quietly activated the much-promised Single Sign-On feature for the Apple TV and iOS devices, making it available to developers running the tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2 betas.

Single Sign-On, as rumored, appears to support only a limited number of cable services, including Dish, GVTC Communications, Hotwire, and Sling TV.

[​IMG]

On the fourth-generation Apple TV, Single Sign-On settings can be accessed by opening the Settings app and navigating to accounts, where a TV Provider section is now available alongside Home Sharing. Customers can sign in to a service at this menu and will presumably be able to access all content associated with that subscription.

[​IMG]

On the iPad and the iPhone, the same TV Provider section is available in the Settings app, located below the section for signing into social networks.

[​IMG]

Single Sign-On is designed to allow users to sign in once with their cable credentials to access all live cable content available through their cable subscription, even when it's spread across multiple apps. Apple's aim with Single Sign-On is to simplify and streamline the television-watching experience on the Apple TV.

Dish and Sling TV are well-known television providers, while GVTC and Hotwire are smaller regional services. Hotwire is available in Florida, South Carolina, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, while GVTC is only available in a small part of Texas, including north of San Antonio and the Gonzales area.

With the limited availability of Single Sign-On, it will only be available to a small number of Apple customers to begin with, but Apple is undoubtedly working to get more providers on board.

Article Link: Single Sign-On Now Available in tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2

2. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

3. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

4. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

No Cox Communications...I knew it was to good to be true...:mad:

5. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

I thought this was going to end up being like Wireless CarPlay. Something announced, but never materialized.

6. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Hard to believe no Comcast, DirecTV or Cox. They've only had since June to work on this list.

7. derek916 macrumors member

So I signed on with my dish account ... now what

8. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

They were busy with touch bars and watch bands.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Are we surprised? Verizon is late to everything.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

11. unobtainium macrumors 65832

12. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Frontier will probably be the very last one to sign on to this.
    They are just horrible.

13. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

Is there a developer with sling wo can tell me what this enables? Does this mean i can now use the apps for the channels sling offers?

14. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

Aren't they all?

15. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

16. harley3k macrumors 6502

harley3k

Couldn't care less about this since I don't have cable. Waiting for the new "TV" app though... - that 'should' ease the pain of switching into a dozen apps to try and remember what streams I was following.

17. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

18. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

Yea, finally some good news, but with the lack of supporting cable services, there is still bad news.

I'm sure that the companies will join eventually.

19. newyorksole macrumors 68020

20. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

No xfinity son? To be honest can't remember last time I had to log in anyway. Whenever it pops up and says choose a cable provider I tap xfinity and it just automatically logs me in. Use to ask me all the time for credentials. Been a while since it has. Not sure what they changed but it's been nice.

21. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

But if we are signing with out apps will the tv app work?

22. julesme macrumors regular

Single Sign On is not that big of a deal to me. Let's say I have around 10 TV apps that I use on my iPad, all of which reference the same cable subscription. Signing in to each one ONCE is not a major headache, especially since the list of apps does not change much over time.

The real inconvenience is when an individual app occasionally deletes/forgets the credentials and asks me to sign in again, as if I've never used the app before (CNBC does this around once/month). If Single Sign On prevents this from happening, then it's a Godsend. Otherwise I don't care.

23. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

Reauthenicating is a pain, especially if you have many ATVs.