Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
My friend told me that the MacBook Air will grow wings. True? No. Do I think these "future" Siri features are what it will be like? No.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I heard Siri used to be able to get showtimes, make reservations, and book flights before it was bought out by Apple, so having those feature brought back is not very far fetched. After all, they were already out there, just waiting to be "integreated" with the rest of the OS.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
of course he does. We've been friends since college, he tells me(and only me) about Apple plans. Trust me, they know a lot more than you think!
Don't take this wrong but a couple things don't add up.

1) No NDA's are required of Apple employees regarding info on an OS that is in the distant future
2) Geniuses are unfortunately undervalued and underpaid, yet this one risks his job by telling (only one) friend.
3) This great college friend immediately runs to a public message board to give details on this top secret info

The whole thing just seems like how one of those " A source close to Apple" rumors get started.

Last edited:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
This thread is hilarious.

You all can take this to the bank: Apple retail employees know NOTHING about future products except just prior to their release.

Apple is better at secrecy than pretty much any other tech company.

Really, hardly anyone knows what Apple will do next. 90% of "informed insider" rumors are also wrong.

Better to focus on what we have now, not what's coming. It's futile.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
im not getting into the argument whether the employees know this info blah blah.

all I'm saying is my dad read this article about the inventor of siri and they said siri is capable of doing this. apple just hasn't implemented it yet. so yes most likely over time siri will do this. with iOS 6. maybe, maybe not. ill be waiting here enjoying the current siri :D

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
If you're gonna make stuff up, at least make sense...

"Siri will be able to send voicemail to your contacts. You will tell her what to say"

If you're gonna dictate what you want Siri to leave as a voicemail, why not just leave the voicemail yourself? It's the same amount of work and instead you're leaving your actual voice

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Siri 1.0 hasn't even been released. Siri is still in beta which usually is before 1.0.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
basically what ur post says is that it will come out in iOS 6 which means it will only come out of beta in 1 year,

i believe that ur friend is right because geniuses r programmers and they all know a thing or two about upcoming products ;)

but also everyone expects it to do all those things once it comes out of beta, downloading apps and stuff is a no brainer and italicize and everything is obvious as for as for cheap airfare that is just using yelp so yes

It's very possible it won't come out of beta for a while.

Genius's don't know programming or a "thing or two" about upcoming products, some of them may have programming experience but generally I know a lot more than the Genius's.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
. IOS6 is a long way from now and Apple doesn't value their high-turnover retail store employees inside info precisely because they may go and tell their friends who will rush to public message boards and tell us what's next.

NDA's exist for a reason and Apple knows how to use and enforce them.

This.. I mean when the first iPad was being "lent" out to developers, apple had requirements such as it had to be in a room with no windows, it was chained to a wood table, and they took detailed photos of the grain in the wood table so they could tell where the iPad was located if anyone tried to leak pictures of it.

They can and will go to these kind of measures to prevent leaks. I doubt some random "Genius" knows the details of the future for Siri, yet alone knowledge of iOS6

---------------------
This discussion reminds me of the humancentipad episode of South Park lol. Check it out if you haven't seen it. Also, I find it strange that my iP4S doesn't say "humancentipad" is a misspelled word, and in fact offers to auto complete it lol

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
My friend is a genius at an Apple store. He said every Apple employee has spent hours training with Siri. They are really trying to push the feature.

He said since Siri is only in beta, iOS 6 will take full advantage of the feature, and we will be able to have full conversations Siri, and she will to complete even the most complex tasks/requests such as:
  • Find me a good deal on hotels, airfare etc.
  • Connect to wifi network...(insert name)
  • You will able to tell Siri to download an app.
  • Siri and map navigation will work in Canada and U.K.
  • Siri will be able to detect vocal patters, so she can detect how you feel and respond appropriately.
  • Siri will be able to send voicemail to your contacts. You will tell her what to say.
  • You will be able to tell Siri to copy, paste, bold, underline and italicize
    text.
  • In Canada, Rogers Wireless offers Smarthome security. Siri will be compatible with this, for example you will now be able to tell Siri to turn on/off lights, arm/disarm your system, and check control your thermostat.

My friend that is a genius at the apple store told me the same thing!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
of course he does. We've been friends since college, he tells me(and only me) about Apple plans. Trust me, they know a lot more than you think!

If your friend did know something which I doubt. The fact you posted here that he told you could get him fired.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've never heard of geniuses getting early access to new products for training purposes. Heck, I've never heard of a genius hearing any confirmed facts about a new product pre-launch. I wonder why, hmmm, maybe because they NEVER DO. I bet you more than half of Apple's corporate employees don't even know of any concrete plans for Siri Alpha.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
jesus, why all the negative thoughts here

first, make up your mind, siri 1.0 (out of beta) or siri 2.0?

second, we'll see io6 in about 5 months (wwdc) so either people here dont know how to count or suffer from complete lack of brain...

third, those features are a no-brainer, if you asked me a month ago, i would mention them from the top of my head, guys, use your imagination a little bit.
im more interested in features i cant think of...

fourth, why the hell all the negative posts and downgrades? jesus guys what are your problems, take it easy, an apple employee surely knows more then we here do, and nobody here knows him except the op, who knows, maybe he's legit
so be a bit more open-minded, at least for the sake of discussion

but thats the world we live in, 90% 'average' ordinary plain people (lack of words that arent considered offensive), masses, google vilfredo pareto and ortega y gasset, most of you will find themselves in those theories,
21.12.2012 - here we come

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.