Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following up on an earlier rumor that Siri would soon support Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Japanese languages, 9to5Mac noticed that if Siri is actually asked what languages it supports, Japanese is listed as one of the options.

At launch, Siri could converse in the American, UK and Australian dialects of English, German and French.

sirijapanese.jpg

Contrary to what Siri claims, Japanese is not available as a choice in the Siri preferences pane. It's possible that Siri's additional languages will be launched with the iPad 3 launch next month. That launch is rumored to be set for March 7.

Article Link: Siri Admits To Speaking Japanese

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I asked Siri when the iPad 3 would ship.
She was no help.

Comment

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I would really love to see Siri makes its way to the iPad2, but I'm likely to sell my 2 for the 3 so it's a win/win either way!

Comment

f00f

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
With all these languages Siri speaks, and is learning (so she says), you'd think she could be used as a translator.

"How do you say Hello in Japanese?"

elicits a Wolfram Alpha response :eek:

Comment

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hahahaha, this is too funny! Unfortunately, some programer is going to get a firm slap on the wrist for this.

It's no big surprise. Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy, and undoubtedly this has been in the works. Maybe Siri has spent the last few months taking Japanese lessons and is just now ready to launch service. :D

----------

Have you learned to speak southern hillbilly yet?

Rumor has it you can't. :p :D

Does Siri want to know how to speak Southern hillbilly? :D

Comment

mmacc

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009
Bluegrass State
I don't have Siri but I wonder how it does in understanding and translating idiomatic phrases?

frunkis54: After clicking on "Siri would soon support" in the first post, those 2 languages are suppose to be supported this year.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
With all these languages Siri speaks, and is learning (so she says), you'd think she could be used as a translator.

You're thinking way too small.

If Siri knew multiple languages, you could say, "Translate a message to Japanese for me: <insert message>"

Alternatively, you could say, "Please translate what this person is saying to English,"

Siri would wait a few moments to process the non English languages she's hearing, maybe mix it with some GPS info to figure out what the likely languages are, and then speak in whatever language she determines is appropriate, "Hello, I am Siri and am acting as a translator. Please clearly tell me what you'd like me to tell my friend, in your own language of <that language>."

Comment

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011

Like this?
Use Lingual from the cydia store.:D

Attachments

• Photo Feb 14, 8 34 52 PM.png
    Photo Feb 14, 8 34 52 PM.png
    723.6 KB · Views: 152
Comment

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I was asking Siri what language she speaks last night and she listed Japanese so i went to Siri's setting and found no Japanese. I was like...:confused:

What a coincidence.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.