Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I'm almost certain that Siri is simply recording the voice on the user side, then sending the data to Apple's servers, where a massively powerfully bank of data processors is doing the heavy lifting and sending her replies back to the phone.

This would mean that ANY Apple device with a decent audio recorder should be able to work with Siri. The 4s restriction is to avoid frequent or extended server issues (one of which occured a few hours ago). There's supposedly 2 million 4s phones in the wild already, and they all want to show off Siri to everyone they encounter. Imagine Apple dealing with 100 million iOS devices capable of using the service simultaneously. Once the hype dies down, it will be on other devices.

Going back to my first sentence - I would bet that Apple is also using the data THEY get from every voice sample Siri handles to further along the technology. They are way ahead in the "touch" race, and suddenly, they're pulling away in voice.

Almost certain?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So this current port of Siri... would at be able to run commands required on the phone that would not require it to connect to Apple's servers?

Like if I asked it 'Send text to Jason Paul saying what's up buddy?'

Or 'Add reminder to record the news today at 5:30 PM'

Or 'Call mom on her cell phone'

These are all programs on the phone itself that should not require Siri to connect to the servers to provide an answer, right?

Siri would need to contact the servers to process your request. It doesn't do it on the phone itself. I think this is a terrible limitation, because it can't handle basic things without a data/wifi connection.

Voice control, which the iPhone 4 already has (and doesn't need data/wifi), is able to follow some commands, like "call mom cell"

3rd party apps, like Vlingo, can follow commands like "send text to Jason Paul what's up buddy" and then auto send the text message or email.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Two things:

1) Just beacsue there's a pic of a certain dev's twitter doesn't mean it's actually working or true.

2) How exactly do you NOT need a jailbreak for this? It's not like it will be available on the app store...

1) Everything on twitter is true. FACT. :D

2) That's an excellent question.

-----

After re-reading that article, it's even more unclear. The developer says the following:

The iPhone 4S jailbreak is not needed to get Siri installed on older devices, the developer adds.

Could it be that he's saying that he doesn't need the 4S jailbreak, but for everything else not 4S, you will need it? Seems that he's saying that he doesn't need the 4S jailbreak 'because' he's already working on the Siri files, ie, no need to yank it off the 4S.

That question that was posed to him was equally cryptic, so I'm not surprised his response was just as vague.

I'd be inclined to believe he's not actually suggesting you don't need a jailbreak, just that he doesn't need the 4S jb'd to proceed w/ what he's working on.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
hmmm, Siri is one of the reasons I just bought a used 4 instead of a 4S. Personally, I want nothing to do with that silliness.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
The latest FAQ confirms that you absolutely need a JB for this (someone got their facts mixed up). The 4S files, on the other hand, were apparently acquired without a jailbreak.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
What I think is Apple can check the number of sold iP4S's vs. the number of devices making requests to siri.apple.com (lol, just made the address up) and act accordingly... perhaps rewrite the authentication routine?

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
What I think is Apple can check the number of sold iP4S's vs. the number of devices making requests to siri.apple.com (lol, just made the address up) and act accordingly... perhaps rewrite the authentication routine?

At the rate they're being sold...I kind of doubt it. Maybe in a few months, but even then, I'd be more inclined to think that they'd be willing to release it to other devices themselves.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Pretty cool, I never had a doubt it was portable, but the fact that they are rewriting most of the code to avoid copyright issues and intercepting the connection is pretty cool.

Yup - very cool indeed.

On bit of small speculation on my part, or maybe a question rather - The link above says that they expect the Siri port to be released w/ in weeks, rather than months. That's good news!

However, my questions is a bit derivative. Do you think that the Siri port will be released in conjunction with a stable/untethered iPhone 4/4s iOS5 jailbreak, since it's very much required? iH8sn0w is working on this with them and his name has been in strong association w/ jailbreaks in the past, unless I'm mistaken.

If one were to speculate (please don't confuse this with impatience,please), would it be a feasible, or at least less of stretch, to suggest, that the jailbreak could also only be weeks away?

Again, speculation is ultimately truly pointless - but I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks their could be a correlation.

Cheers,
Brian

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I'm pretty sure IH8snow would love to include it a part of a patch to a updated version of sn0wBreeze. I guess it's one way to get me to use sn0wbreeze. they also seem to be making steady progress which is good.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
1)
Could it be that he's saying that he doesn't need the 4S jailbreak, but for everything else not 4S, you will need it? Seems that he's saying that he doesn't need the 4S jailbreak 'because' he's already working on the Siri files, ie, no need to yank it off the 4S.

For a jailbreak, the first thing they generally need are the decryption keys for the firmware files itself. These are usually found pretty quickly and allow them to access the files that go on the device itself (from the IPSW)

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=VFDecrypt_Keys

This means they can usually examine the actual files that get uploaded to the 4S long before they can exploit them on the device itself. In some cases, having the files for one firmware and comparing them to another, whether they can exploit that firmware or not, allows them to bring the features to the currently exploitable platform (iPhone 4 on 5.0). So they can change the files on the iPhone 4, but they can't change them on the 4S yet.

They may simply be close to finding the relevant Siri files on the 4S platform, copying and adapting them to the jailbreakable iPhone 4 platform.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
For a jailbreak, the first thing they generally need are the decryption keys for the firmware files itself. These are usually found pretty quickly and allow them to access the files that go on the device itself (from the IPSW)

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=VFDecrypt_Keys

This means they can usually examine the actual files that get uploaded to the 4S long before they can exploit them on the device itself. In some cases, having the files for one firmware and comparing them to another, whether they can exploit that firmware or not, allows them to bring the features to the currently exploitable platform (iPhone 4 on 5.0). So they can change the files on the iPhone 4, but they can't change them on the 4S yet.

They may simply be close to finding the relevant Siri files on the 4S platform, copying and adapting them to the jailbreakable iPhone 4 platform.

Yup - I understand that, I'm just saying that it would be somewhat anticlimactic to release Siri when a heck of a lot of people are sitting around waiting for a jailbreak for iOS 5 - would assume (again, there I go assuming... watch out!) that they'd release it after a stable, untethered JB of OS 5

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Yup - I understand that, I'm just saying that it would be somewhat anticlimactic to release Siri when a heck of a lot of people are sitting around waiting for a jailbreak for iOS 5 - would assume (again, there I go assuming... watch out!) that they'd release it after a stable, untethered JB of OS 5

The JB community typically goes by the rule of "when it's ready," so I doubt they'd hold off on a huge release like this just because the current jailbreak isn't untethered. For all we know, iOS5 may never be untethered.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Apple will most certainly stop this from happening. Possibly by requiring all 4S phones to be updated in order for Siri to work, and them locking out non 4S phones from accessing the service.

Honestly, this project is nothing to get your hopes up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.