iPhone X Siri cuts me off when using "Hey Siri"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgrace, Feb 27, 2018.

1. bgrace macrumors regular

When I use Siri handsfree via "Hey Siri" she often cuts me off and starts talking before I finish my request or question. This does not happen when I press and hold the side button (on iPhone X) while using Siri. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Do you pause at all after you say Hey Siri? I have to talk fast or she interrupts. "Hey Siri what time is it" vs. "Hey Sir, (slight pause) what time is it?"

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Ask your question or your command without pausing. As @noobinator stated, if you pause she will ask what she can help you with

4. bgrace thread starter macrumors regular

As a test, I just said "Hey Siri, how many ounces of ---" and she interrupted and said "What would you like me to convert?" before I could even finish my question. I asked it as one fluid question without pauses. While this doesn't happen all the time, I never had this issue before iOS 11.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

A few options to try:

1.) If it’s a glitch, Perform a hard reset:

Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then execute the same for the Volume Down button. Follow up by pressing the Side power button, and hold until the display powers off in approximately about seconds.

2.)Try resetting Siri. Under settings, select Siri, toggle “Listen for Hey Siri”, then retrain Siri with your voice.

6. CPx macrumors 6502a

Why not just do a regular shutdown?

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Hard reset permits the iPhone to turn back on and reboot fully. It is just a way to do a execute a clean boot up. This method actually repairs approximately 90% of the issues/glitches most users encounter.

8. CPx macrumors 6502a

Is it more effective than a regular shutdown and startup? I see people recommend hard resets all the time when the phone isn't actually frozen and I always wonder why.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The iPhone Doesn’t have to be “frozen” per se to do a hard reboot. They can clear glitches and errors that are causing other unknown issues inside the phone as well.

10. CPx macrumors 6502a

Does it clear glitches better than a normal shutdown and startup? That's my question.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Not sure which works better but...

The soft restart (shut down, wait a bit, then restart) is less abrupt. Programs shut down and prepare themselves for the system shutting down. The hard restart (the button combo to force a shutdown/restart) is more abrupt. It kills everything instantly and restarts your device.

Think of how a PC performs when you select shutdown option vs simply holding down the power button.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

‘Better’ is subjective. It’s merely a method that one can use either to powerdown the iPhone regularly or use the reset option is listed above to clear glitches and shut down everything, Which automatically restarts the iPhone. Anecdotally, others may differ based on someone elsss experiences and complications encountered, ie, (what’s causing the problem, battery drainage, lag/stutter, sound glitches, App crash, ect), but it’s also provided positive results based on my own occurrences.

It Doesn’t just apply to the iPhone either, the Apple Watch is another good example of using a hard reboot by holding down the digital crown and power button to clear errors and glitches as well.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly. Also, I like your suggestion of retraining "Hey Siri". As per OP, be sure that no loud noises are nearby as Siri will take these into account instead.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

What the OP described has happened to me several times, and it is usually due to me pausing too long.