Siri Down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by G-hog, Oct 22, 2011.

1. G-hog macrumors member

Anybody else having problems connecting to Siri? It hasn't been able to connect to the network all afternoon. I've tried it at home and out and about. I have no problems with anything else, just Siri. I live in Durham NC.

2. briankwest77 macrumors member

3. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

Working for me as of 6:42PST in San Diego, CA.

4. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Working fine for me.

Remember, it's still beta. Expect problems.

7. phreebsd macrumors regular

8. MacHunter420 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know why people expect it to be perfect right away, how many people do you think actually tested Siri in apple, Id wager that it's on the order of 1-2k tops, now it's 1-2 million in a week, plus more when delivered.... Get real people...it says BETA!

9. C N Reilly macrumors regular

I had issues with it on Day 2, right after I left the AT&T Store; I'd needed to swap SIM cards with another number on my account. Siri was working literally as I was pulling into the parking lot, but about two minutes after I left, I discovered it wasn't working any more. I ate lunch to give it a little time, but it still wasn't working. So back to AT&T I went. They were just as stumped as I was and were still asking me the usual "Hmm, well you tried X Y and Z, right?" questions while randomly yelling things into the microphone when all of a sudden, boom, it started working again.

They hypothesized that maybe, since there's a specific "4S" plan in AT&T's computers even though the cost is the same (something to do with HSPA+), perhaps that bit needed to be flipped somewhere along the line to make Siri work (since it won't work with anything but a 4S, after all), and it just takes a while for that bit to flip for Siri when you swap SIMs.

I'm not sure I buy it, since it doesn't explain how Sprint, Verizon or unlocked 4Ses can work with Siri, but I figured I'd post it anyway just in case.

10. G-hog thread starter macrumors member

I know it's Beta, and I expect problems. I'm just making sure it's not something on my end.
    Apple is advertising it on a national level. It seems to be down more than it's up. If it wasn't ready to go live, why didn't they wait to unvail it? Plain and simple they did it to increase sales.

11. Mr. Thompson macrumors newbie

12. phreebsd macrumors regular

13. wkathym macrumors newbie

Down for me, too. All afternoon up to now (11:54PM EDT). . Worked last night and this morning, and I was hooked. Yes, I know it's a Beta, but would be nice if we got an idea of what's up and estimated time of a fix.:(

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

This

<--- Miami

I don't know who's bright idea it was to link its ENTIRE functionality to an off-phone network.

"Call so and so*"

<long delay> "having trouble connecting to network"

Now tell me, why does it need the network for a contact in my phone's database?

* I think one day I'll create a contact for 'so and so' lol

15. C N Reilly macrumors regular

All the processing of your voice is done on Apple's remote servers, not the phone.

16. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I was at the AT&T store for a non-iPhone related service today and noticed something interesting.

Siri had been working very poorly on my phone so I thought I would try the display models. There were two iPhones on display and the first one I tried also couldn't connect or was just slow.

The other phone, on the other hand, worked really well. They were both on a cellular connection, not wifi, as was my iPhone.

It would seem from this small test that the service problems may only be affecting a portion of Siri users and not everyone.

Thought I'd share to see if anyone had supporting or contradicting observations to add.

17. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

This Siri gig is in beta

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Think about it people. It's still a brand new toy and it's the weekend. When do people play with their new toys in droves? On the weekend.

If everyone wasn't chomping at the bit to show their frat brothers what happens when you proposition Siri, it would be working fine.

19. Morac, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

Morac macrumors 6502a

Morac

Siri went down for me sometime between this morning and evening. It's still not working for me right now, but I've read reports from others saying its working fine.

I'm wondering if some of the Siri servers are down? I've noticed that Siri doesn't always connect to the same ip address. It changes over time.

A quick check shows that the Siri server is named guzzoni.apple.com. The ip address that resolves to differs by location.

20. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Mine's not working right now either... was working fine 2 hours ago.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

All across the US, it's BAR time. Walk in to ANY bar in a populated area right now, and I guarantee you someone is trying to show off Siri.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

Or perhaps the explanation could be: All across the US, it's BAR time. All engineers from North Carolina Data Center are drunk :D

23. pochoman20 macrumors newbie

Down - and up?

How can my Siri be broken and my friend who is about 20 miles away from me be working just fine? Mine has been down for about 2 hours, and his has never gone down yet.

24. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

It's been down for me for the past 2 hours. Checked with my cousin too and he's down too.

Chicago if it makes any difference.

25. Captain America macrumors 6502

Oh good, I thought it was just me that was having issues.

Since the last person put location, I'm just outside Philadelphia.