Siri for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jasonmilford, Oct 5, 2011.

1. jasonmilford macrumors member

I am wondering if it may be possible to eventually "port" Siri to an iPhone 4? I don't know what the 4S would have that the 4 doesn't to make it work. Any ideas?

2. casedogg311 macrumors member

I'm wondering the same thing. I really believe Siri was only made available for the 4s because it lacked a "home run feature". I doubt the increased processing speed and RAM upgrade are needed.

I only want the 4s for Siri so it would be nice if I could jailbreak my 4 to get it.

Has any other official iOS feature been "ported" to a model it wasn't designed for? Game center? HDR?

3. haiggy macrumors 65816

i would like to know if this will be possible or not too

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

5. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

What gave you this idea? The only reason it's on the 4s and not the 4 is to entice people to upgrade.

6. lnferno macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a hardware component to Siri.

7. joneildu macrumors member

By most accounts, both devices are rocking 512mb

8. djarpit macrumors regular

i have a feeling this will be able to be done.

i doubt its more of a memory issue then the processing of the voice and translating the command issue. and having wifi or faster network means would get translation and command faster.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

This info came from the developer. Why would he lie? We will have physical devices in a week and will know exactly how much memory is available. No speculation required

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might be hardware dependant but we will find out soon.

11. casedogg311 macrumors member

Without siri, iPhone 4s doesn't have a good enough reason to sway people to upgrade. Especially with the possibility of a new iPhone in June.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Not true if you own a 3 series iPhone or later. The 4S represents a large leap forward in almost every area.

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There will not be a new phone in June. The next phone will wait for the A6 will will likely not be a working chip until June, so we will be lucky to see full production by Fall.

14. Almeuit macrumors regular

Funny because Siri was a app on the iPhone 4 and was yanked right (apples app store) after they announced the iPhone 4S. So it seems iPhone 4 was running it just fine .. it wasnt just fully programmed with the whole iOS but it did basically the same thing.

Funny... Can't run it ... but it could ... hm

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Did you run Siri on the iPhone 4? I did, and it was a major dumbed down version. Its failure rate for me was approaching 50% and the natural language was severely limited in scope.

It was nothing more than a demonstration of the technology possibilities.

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

the app is like a lite version of this siri offered for the 4S. Ten 1st question is will it work as advertised. I'm sure there are people in the jailbreak community that will look into getting I on the I4 and the 3GS time will tell.

17. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

It's amazing how quickly people forget.

When the 3GS came out with voice controls there was no way to get the 3G to "unlock" this feature. Now that iOS has evolved just a little bit since then, I highly doubt the iPhone 4 will be able to use Siri.

18. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

I'm hearing a lot more 1gb RAM on the 4s than 512mb

19. jinx1000 macrumors member

Would voice recognition really require a dual core processor and a gig of ram? I know nothing of the processing power required for this, but to me it seems the iphone 4 should be able to handle this if the feature can be unlocked.

20. mindyish macrumors member

Wasn't multi-tasking introduced with the 4g? Yet its now running on my jailbroken 3gs (and my ipod touch 2g) so unless its a hardware component it relies on, I am sure there will be a jailbreak tweak so that older models can use it eventually. Or at least I am hoping.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

I know I have seen several tweeters in the jb community talking about siri and the iPhone 4. So I'm sure there will be several trying to crack Siri very soon. I'm also waiting to see if Siri works as well as advertised. ;)

22. Bronken macrumors member

Bronken

Well I think the IP4 is more than capable of handling siri, but ask yourself this:

Siri is only working with a direct connection to apple. Will the apple servers acknowledge or even react to siri connections comig from an iPhone4???

23. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

just a case of spoofing it. i doubt they'll have such protection though