Siri, full access, or limited to only certain things?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Mar 10, 2015.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Not sure I caught this, but I sure hope you can use Siri to ask basic questions, like distance conversions, money conversions, weight, etc.... Like hey Siri 3 ounces is how many grams?

Or set timer, alarm...reminders, appointments, stock prices etc. I have only seen weather, asking to call, movie times or to open an app on the watch.

Would totally suck if you can't ask basic questions, I use Siri daily for timers, and to ask questions.

2. Sharkey311 Suspended

I'm pretty sure it'll work the same as Siri on the iPad/iPhone. The only thing I imagine it might not be able to do, simply because that haven't showcased the feature, is launching apps on the watch. I don't see why it couldn't though.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The other thing that got gimped is Siri doesn't talk back to you through the watch.

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Why not? Do you have a link to that info? It has a speaker and microphone, why wouldn't it talk back to you? I thought I heard it talk back in the keynote, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I don't think it is everything at launch, but theres no reason why it won't get better over time.

The only one I've seen confirmed so far is that it can't compose or reply to emails.

But that's the only limitation I've seen so far, however, if that limitation exists, then it isn't wrong to assume other limitations exist.

6. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

At the Spring Forward event, Siri did not say a word.

However, that doesn't mean Siri responses are gone. It could be set to respond only when more information is needed, different based on how she was activated (like iPhone), or just disabled during the event.

7. Andy0568 macrumors regular

I think Siri's always-on capability is one of the coolest features of the Apple watch. BTW does anyone know why you can you access Siri by clicking the crown and saying, "Hey Siri"? Battery drain?

8. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

That's exactly what I thought. I assume it's a setting, that way you can choose if you want responses or not.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I sure hope Apple allows customization of the 'Hey Siri' command. It will be a pain with everyone saying it in person and on TV.

10. troop231 macrumors 603

So, if some random person in the room shouts Hey Siri, will he/she be able to control my Watch? Or is the Watch smart enough to learn your voice upon setting it up? Serious question.

Or what about a room with multiple Watches?

11. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

You can also activate Siri by holding down the digital crown.

----------

I highly doubt that it can detect your voice. The iPhone uses "Hey Siri" without voice detection, so I'd assume it's the same here.

12. troop231 macrumors 603

Can you fill me in then how the iPhone handles if a random person shouts it? Also, what about a room with multiple iPhones? I've never looked into this so I apologize if this is a non-issue :)

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes but I and many want to be able to use 'Hey Siri'. So it needs to be customizable. 'Hey Siri' is also likely coming full time to the next iPhone too.

----------

It responds to anything that even sound like 'Hey Siri'. Plug your iPhone in while you watch TV and I bet it will activate every few hours.

14. troop231 macrumors 603

Oh I see :(

15. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I don't understand the hey siri thing...

I thought on the iPhone hey siri only worked when plugged in as it would take up far too much batter power to have the iPhone always listening to enable this feature?

How then, is the apple watch always listening when it has a tiny battery compared to an iPhone? If a watch can do it, why can't an iPhone?

I don't really care, would turn off the feature on the watch anyway I expect, it just seems odd.

16. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

It kind of is an issue. It responds to anything that sounds like "Hey Siri."

17. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

One thing that really bothered me about the demo - why did he have to open Shazam on the Watch to ID a song? Why not just ask Siri as we've been able to do for a while now with our iPhones and iPads?

18. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

I highly doubt that having used Untethered Hey Siri on my jailbroken 6 Plus. It destroys battery life.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Because in the current iPhone it is chip issue. Android has a low powered chip for 'Google Now". The S1 will have this low power listening built in and it's almost certain the next iPhone as well.

Don't doubt it at all but Apple wants specialized hardware for the purpose and will use far less power.

20. technosix macrumors 6502a

Siri is a veritable gold mine for Apple. Recording everything one asks or says to it, taking special note of tone, inflection and mood, Apple's amassing an extraordinarily colossal database of absolutely everyone that uses Siri.

As one who cares about others in public spaces, and find people that speak loudly into their cell phones extremely annoying, I choose to avoid using any voice controls or assistants like siri.

Even when at home in my very serene peaceful environment, there's just something about talking to my phone that I find annoying. Therefore the first action I take when buying each years iPhone is taking delight in turning off Siri.

21. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

I "think" hey Siri only works when the watch is active, so just standing around it will not respond. You have to raise your arm up and to your face, uses the accelerometer, otherwise the battery would be dead fast.

----------

I sure hope you can set it to respond audibly, that would be a bummer#

Oh well first gen blues#

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Haha man you just reminded me of a Jailbreak tweak that behaved like that.

people in the office who knew I had that tweak would yell "Siri, Restart!" and my phone would reboot.

23. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Because I currently have a pebble, I cant use Siri (the iphone assumes that the pebble has a microphone and waits for input, but the pebble doesn't and so nothing works)

I miss it a little as it's easy to set alarms, reminders etc....but now that I've been without it for a year, maybe I wont need it at all on the apple watch

24. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I guess I just remembered incorrectly. That's my bad. I bet there is a setting to change it though. I can't imagine apple would abandon the most iconic part of siri. We'll find out April 24 :).

25. iPad Air macrumors regular

That could turn into a mess.