Siri in Public

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericgtr12, Dec 22, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I admit that Siri has made things on the iPhone way more convenient, for example I can tell it to remind me of something 10 different ways it seems and it always nails it for me. Otherwise, I have to manually go through the steps, cumbersome at best. However, I still feel the need to go somewhere privately when in public or wait until I get home to talk to it without feeling stupid. I never see others talking to it either so I gather I'm not alone on this.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Agreed. Plus doesn't help if you're whispering a command in the dead of night, and it bellows out its reply without any appreciation of volume. The whole street hears "Sorry, I can't take any requests right now. Please try again later" :D

3. redman042 macrumors 68020

I don't use it a lot in public but I have, in a low voice. It is surprisingly accurate even if you speak quietly.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Maybe I'm strange. Not only do I use Siri on my phone, I also use it on my watch when and where I am. Most people I find don't care what you're doing or that you're even there. Thinking people find you strange is understandable but really, as long as you're not getting ready to attack them they will move along as if they don't know you're there. You don't see a lot of other people doing it either because they don't use the feature in general or its really not a big deal so it didn't stand out to you. Now, there are places its not appropriate at the time but I would say that applies to using the phone in general.

5. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Reminds me of that movie Her, everyone was walking around talking to their devices and it all seemed perfectly normal. You can see that becoming a reality in the near future, I know when I see people mouthing words in a car I automatically assume they're talking hands free.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

7. Newtons Apple, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

One of the few things I liked about my Apple Watch was being able to talk to Siri on the watch and reading the reply rather than hearing it out loud. Was not enough for me to keep wearing the AW so I am back to talking to my phone. I choose the time to do it and I really do not care if someone over hears me asking Siri to remind me to turn off the sprinkler system when I get home.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Russ and Roman.jpg

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Never use it in public. Don't want to look like a 40 year old dork.

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

You realize some of us would really like to look like 40 year dork again. ;)

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Some worry way too much about how they look or how other just think they look!

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe that at least as of iOS 9 there is an option to control some aspects of voice feedback for Siri.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I really doubt he/she does. Soon they will realize that no one escapes aging, no one!

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I beg to differ, there definitely is a way to escape aging. But alternative is rather, well final.

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, I would look like a 70 year old dork...I'd love to look 40 again...

15. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

I haven't used Siri much in public, but I would if I need to, I don't mind what people think!

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I use Sir on my Apple Watch, iPhone 6+, and iPad without a care in the world of who hears me or what they think. I've grown very accustomed to just hitting the button and asking what I need. In the car, I do the "Hey Siri" and it just works.

17. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Life is too short to worry about crap like this ha ha!

I argue with myself in public it's all good ...

18. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I never use Siri but i still find it strange when i am walking behind someone with his earbuds on having a phone conversation. Especially if they are talking rather loud and I did not notice the buds.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you 70 ? Well, I suddenly feel a young guy ! (I'm turning 44 in a few days :cool:)

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Happy Birthday

21. freepomme macrumors 6502a

The only reason you wouldn't use Siri in public is because you don't trust it. I mean, are you just shy to use it?

I don't feel any type of need to hide myself using Siri, if I know that it works.

"Set my timer for 1 hour." I say every day for lunch so I don't have to look at the clock.

22. rzc16512 macrumors regular

I haven't tried it since the 4S so maybe it isn't a feature anymore but you used to be able to put your phone up to your ear and Siri would talk through the ear piece so that way it wouldn't say anything out loud and you wouldn't look like you were talking to yourself.

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Actually just turned 71 in November.....You don't see many geeky 71 year olds...LOL
    All of this started when I built my first HAM radio when I was 12...Been interested in electronics and tech. ever since.

You aren't quite as old as my son...46

24. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

And here I was, thinking you were a cute girl with beautiful brown hair... I guess everything isn't what it seems on the internet!

25. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

Have you tried Raise To Speak in public? It just makes you look like you're trying to have a phone conversation thats cutting out so you're looking at your phone in between having it on your ear....