Siri is a joke

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by John6Plus, Oct 5, 2018.

1. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

So the Red Sox are - right now - playing in a postseason game. I swear I have asked this exact question before: “Hey Siri, how are the Red Sox doing?” and gotten the score. Instead, the attached screenshot is what happened.

Did it have a stroke? Dimentia setting in? How could I possibly be asking what their win total from 2017 was? I mean it was hilarious when it just announced “The answer is 93” - but not helpful.

MLB even advertised using Siri for the postseason. Not a good look.

Attached Files:

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

3. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

It is an ambiguous question. "How are the Red Sox doing?" Doing what? Making ice cream? Bowling? Knitting, etc. Now if you asked Siri "What is the score in the Red Sox game?" You probably will get the correct info.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

In my experience, Siri is pretty useless. Not much has changed since it was released.

I attached a screenshot of google assistant to show what kind of response an intelligent assistant should be able to give to a question like that.

Attached Files:

5. John6Plus thread starter macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Hmm, that’s how they were doing a year ago. Also. “The answer is 93.” 93 what?

And yes it is mildly vague, but I’m pretty sure I’ve asked that question before.

I just asked how the patriots did yesterday, and it gave me the expected response. I asked how the Red Sox are doing tonight, and, nope. (See attached.)

I know it’s nitpicking - and I wouldn’t trust google or Alexa to be perfect, in fact I don’t trust them at all for other reasons, but we have a looooooooong way to go before digital assistants even have the *appearance* of AI.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---
    Yup, and I’m 99% sure Siri has done it right before with that exact question. I don’t like when “machine learning” makes something dumber. It may be because it’s the playoffs and the matchup not set until 2 days ago, but that’s a pretty pathetic excuse if so. It may be a data failure on MLB’s part even.

But it’s a time sensitive question - with an obvious top of the news answer - but it failed. I’m baffled more than anything, and professionally curious :)

Attached Files:

6. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Siri is a joke according to you because....red sox.

Works great for me but I don’t ask Siri about the Red Sox.

7. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I gave up on Siri. I never could figure out how to use it efficiently. By the time I gave it the multiple commands to do what I wanted - It was easier just to grab the phone and type it in myself

8. mritech macrumors regular

Siri has got bad, since iOS 12 beta. It used to be able to play my playlists easily now since ios12 official came out it can’t even do it right.

I say....Music, playlist 80’s (the exact name one of my playlists) (this command did work numerous times in the past) now it likes to say here’s what I found for an 80’s radio station. Seems like Siri became dumb

9. thedieselwind macrumors newbie

thedieselwind

The problem is that Alexa and Google Assistant advanced a lot quicker than Siri did. I'm not sure if Siri just isn't an Apple priority or what, but Alexa and Google's ability to understand context is what sets them apart. I hope Siri catches up.

10. Koobs macrumors 6502

Koobs

Tonight I asked Siri about baseball scores on my watch and she told me to look on my phone? It is pretty useless.

11. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

I’ve asked it how a team was doing, worded exactly the same, during a game and it gave the correct response.

12. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

Caveman Siri.

13. yegon, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

yegon macrumors 68030

Not knowing its definition, the other day I asked Siri multiple times to define steganography. After several attempts the nearest to the sound that came out of my mouth was;

“Ok, I found this on the web for ‘Define stuck in a coffee’”

Now knowing what steganography is, I’ve concluded Siri is either incredibly clever and the result hides a message therein, or incredibly stupid.

I’m leaning towards stupid, heh.

Google voice nailed it first time.

14. BasicGreatGuy, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I asked the same question the OP did just now, and I was given correct information.

OP, check and see if George H. Ruth is in your family tree (Bambino curse). That could explain some things with the results.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

It’s not as good as Alexa or the google assistant but it’s quite capable for a lot of things.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have found Siri very useful. If I ask for a ball game score, she replies with the right answer. If I ask he to an an item to my grocery list, she complies.

Is Siri perfect? No, but she is a help to me.

Can Siri be improved? We Aplle promised huge improvements in Siri and I have not seen them.

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

18. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Don’t know op tried it yesterday and got this:
    6081FA58-AD69-4635-B9A9-0016BEC0918A.jpeg

Tried it today and got this

CEB882F0-687B-4308-864B-E783460CD5CE.jpeg

19. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

Living in Chicago, and a huge Cubs fan, Red Sox are my second favorites. I'm rooting for Boston all the way. I wanted a Cubs Red Sox World Series so badly... Anyway, if I ask Siri "How are the Red Sox doing?" she said "Better than the Cubs, Paul." I cried a little.

No, she didn't. I am kidding. LOL

20. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Bottom line: Amazon and Google have raised the bar, and Apple has not been able to keep up. I think this is common knowledge in tech circles.
    The thing I find most frustrating is that voice dictation is supposed to save you time over typing, but nine times out of ten Siri will get just one or two words wrong, and the amount of time it takes to correct them completely negates the time saved in dictating in the first place. On an Apple Watch you have to start from scratch and dictate the whole thing again.

21. off3nc3 macrumors member

off3nc3

Compared to google assistant and bixby it's a big JOKE but hey we can still hope :)

22. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

23. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Do you mean the google assistant and Alexa?

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

She better not be, or I might have to give my SE flying lessons.

25. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Driving home yesterday and my gf sent me a message that she was at the supermarket, and asked if we need anything. I dictated back, “Please get olive oil”. What actually got sent was “Please get all of oil”. Siri reads it back and it sounded ok to me. It’s just the way Scots pronounce “olive”.

Scottish accents and voice recognition don’t get on, unfortunately. (video is nsfw or younger ears. nothing too bad though)