Siri is copied right from WP7 Mango!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PacificBeach, Oct 4, 2011.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Great find!

And all this time I thought they got it from Siri™.

...:rolleyes:

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Not the same thing at all. Watch the Siri keynote.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really man? Really? :rolleyes:

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

5. biosci macrumors 6502a

I think Siri came from the old app Siri.... which has been around for quite some time I think...

6. cward0715 macrumors regular

7. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

To be honest how much distinction is there between speech commands? There are only so many ways to implement things before they begin to look similar. One could say the speech commands in Mango are ripped straight from Android, which were implemented as a response to the ones in iOS 3, which in turn were pretty much an update from speech commands found in phones from many years ago. Where do you draw the line?

9. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I have Mango on my HD7 and Siri is in a league of its own. I've used its voice features and they're great in the right circumstance but too many times I've said, "reply" and it would read my messages again.

10. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

It does seem very similar (and implemented in the same way) though more capable. Microsoft will probably catch up soon. Speech is very important to them

11. M87 macrumors 65816

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The difference you are missing here is that Mango does traditional speech recognition with a limited command set. "Call, play, text, etc..".

Siri is true AI where you can use natural language and it determines what it is you are wanting. One example being "What is the weather like today?" or "Will it rain today?". Siri deciphers from there whether to pull up the weather app, use Wolfram-Alpha, send a text, make an appt. Etc.. No need to use limited key words like in Mango.

13. LivingLarge macrumors member

Wow, excellent reply Geckotek :). I love how siri can distinguish the speech and language patterns and give an amazing response. Cannot wait to give it a try.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple did take many of WP7 Mango features and improved on them to make it their own:
    Siri is like TellMe, though it has been significantly improved; I'm sure if Microsoft worked on this it can be better.
    iMessages is like chat on WP7 where Live, SMS, and MMS are integrated into one app and yes you can message other users on any platform that suports Live and then on platforms that do not, SMS/MMS can be used.
    Camera without unlocking is from WP7 as well, though WP7 has a dedicated camera button.

So yes Apple did take a lot of features from WP7; too bad most users will see the WP7 and think Microsoft is copying Apple. :eek:

15. jrbrewin, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

jrbrewin macrumors newbie

ironic post of the day... month... year?

microsoft purchased tellme march 14th 2007 (1), before siri existed as an entity to even begin rounds of fundraising (2), let alone have a product out to market.

TellMe is integrated in to a number of Microsoft products already, and is available for preview already integrated right in to the core of WP7.5 (mango) (3). It could be found in some builds of windows mobile 6.5.. e.g. the Samsung Intrepid which debut on October 11th 2009 (4)

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tellme_Networks
    (2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri_(software)
    (3) http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/apple-has-siri-microsoft-has-tellme/3135
    (4) http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/samsung-intrepid-intros-sprint-to-windows-mobile-6-5-on-october/

you can read a review of the voice recognition available in mango, powered by tellme, over at zdnet - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/new-windows-phone-mango-speech-technology-cant-be-beat/6548

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Tellme is also used in Xbox 360's Kinect...which I have.

It is NOTHING like Siri. There is no AI. It's just an advanced IVR.

17. jrbrewin macrumors newbie

The mango side of things seems fairly natural, and integrated in to the core of the phone, from what i've seen of it running on a colleagues HD7. If you want to send a text message you can transcribe the text, or if you want to perform a local business, weather, cinema listing, etc search it's natural to do that. maybe not as natural as asking "will it rain today", but adding in a couple of colloquialisms doesn't make the technology, as you say, completely different. Especially when the speech recognition is able to recognise the words just as easily.

After all, the core concept - to control your phone by voice, with zero touch - is exactly same.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Neither Apple nor Microsoft invented that core concept, but saying they're the same when they're implemented in completely different ways is uninformed. My wife's 3-year-old car accepts voice commands -- poorly. It's the same "concept" as Siri, but Siri makes it work without having to focus on using the right word with the right inflection every time.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Actually, it's completely different. You need to know a list of key terms to use with Mango. This has always been the boat anchor around the neck of voice recognition technology keeping it from main stream adoption. I was working at Microsoft when Tellme was rolled out in certain products and while the voice recognition was very good, I couldn't always remember the commands. So I stopped using it. There are most likely prompts on the screen in Mango, but that means you have to look at the screen. Not so good if I'm driving.

With Siri you don't need to know the command set and you don't need to look at the screen for hints. This is due to the artificial intelligence tech behind it. Tellme doesn't have AI.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You keep forgetting, TellMe is like the current Voice Control in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Both Voice Control and Microsoft's TellMe require the usage of keywords to understand what was said and what the user wants.

Example, Voice Control requires you say "Dial" or "Call" to initiate a call. TellMe uses keywords as well, but with a bigger command word bank so it seems natural, but its not.

Siri understands your words, "do I need my umbrella?" is a phrase hard to understand if you don't know the context or meaning behind the words. It is really awesome that Siri can actually understand this and tell you the weather and actually respond if you may or may not need one.

I could go on and on, but I hope you get the point.

21. justregistered macrumors newbie

I typed "can Siri be copied" into google and found your post...After I read it, I signed up for a MacForums account, confirmed through email, and now I am responding, just to let you know you're an idiot.

They are not at all the same thing.