Siri is so dumb

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by dmillar74, Oct 7, 2017.

1. dmillar74 macrumors regular

I’ve been an iPhone user for about 8 or 9 years and am a fan of Apple in general. But it’s discouraging when you see how well google handles dictation. I simply switched over to the Google keyboard on my iPhone and was trying to see how accurate dictation was. It’s amazing how much better it is than Apple’s technology. It seems like Siri has gotten worse in the last couple years pertaining to A.I. I was given a gift of a Google home and am shocked how well it understands what you are asking of it.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I'm almost positive using dictation on a 3rd party keyboard still uses the same systemwide dictation.

3. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

Dictation on you Apple keyboard is actually local now, meaning it doesn’t even connect to the internet to work now, which is awesome but of course has limitations.

Google on the other hand is using their web based AI which certainly is more accurate. Hoping that Apple can use their machine learning to increase accuracy. It’s gotten better, but Google’s has gotten way better (perhaps at the expense of privacy though).

4. BoneCollector Suspended

BoneCollector

5. dmillar74 thread starter macrumors regular

Don’t get me wrong, I do use Siri and dictation all the time. I just find that there are way more mistakes than Google’s A.I.

6. ilovemykid3302012 Suspended

It's about 50/50 when trying to ask for directions to places :/

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Not gonna lie, when I was on the Nexus 6P, I used dictation way more because it was better. While my situational uses are slightly different now, it's just not accurate enough for me to be able to confidently use dictation on iOS as I could on android, so I just type stuff in, even if it's a little more inconvenient.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    If apple's is considered "Good", then I would say Google's is considered "Extremely Good". With maybe "Very Good" in between.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

Pretty much zero issues with Siri or dictation transcription. Read the 2nd/3rd paragraphs of my post. I turn the phone so I can talk to that second mic, works perfectly when I'm on a speakerphone call too by dictating into that upper mic and not into the lower mic. Hope it helps…

9. dmillar74 thread starter macrumors regular

I’ll give it a shot! Thanks!

10. DareDevil01 macrumors newbie

DareDevil01

Didn't help for me. Still get mixed results on my iPhone 8 compared to my S7...
    I also find she is a lot less helpful too. I actually use Google Assistant on my iPhone 8 because it can turn on the flashlight when my hands are full and I can't slide open the mission control. Siri can't, for whatever reason. Maybe because I'm in Australia?? Dunno.

11. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

Weird google has access to system controls siri doesnt even have. Exploit?

12. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

Apps can control the flash for camera purposes. Siri simply doesn't have this feature.

13. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

Oh yep.
    Seems like a very simple feature that siri should have.

I always wanted to be able to yell out at siri "where are you Siri?" and she reply "im right here" and play a high pitched loud noise, so I could find my phone :). Interactions like that would make Siri seem more real too

14. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

What’s really strange to me is how much better dictation works on my Apple Watch than my phone. It’s just about perfect on the watch.

15. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

She isn’t dumb. The PC term is artificially intellectually challenged...

16. dmillar74 thread starter macrumors regular

I recently received a google home as a gift. It is shocking how much better it is at ai than Siri. I love my Apple devices but you can tell a difference. I’ve been pretty upset, too, with how shoddy iOS has gotten with iOS 11. Disappointing to a long time Apple user.

17. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

Always free to move to the competition for your other devices

18. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Thanks for the permission mate.

19. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Your choice, mine is to protect my privacy, rather go without a vocal assistant or a smart speaker in that case.

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Siri is disabled on my iPhone, too many issues with it coming on when I didn't want it to and it simply can't compete with my Amazon Echo. For me, I don't need voice control when I'm mobile anyway.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Siri is disabled for me as well. The battery life you get in return is totally worth it. Like ericgtr12 --- I still look at people weird who talk in public on speakerphone or to Siri/Google -- I'd much rather type it out. lol.

22. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I have to admit I gave Siri another shot the other day… *sigh* :(

Did a few tests to compare with the Google Assistant app on my iPhone.

Asked them both when my next Yoga class is.
    Google told me when the next "class" is.
    Siri told me when my next "meeting" is.
    (Both were correct, but Google recognised it was a class and not a bloody meeting)

Asked them both how long it will take to walk to Society Café.
    Google gave me a walking route and correct time estimate - 12 minutes.
    Siri told me how to drive there by a roundabout half assed way… 20+minutes, park then walk.

Etcetera…

23. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

If you want information that's more complex siri usually lets you down. its ok for setting timers, or the weather, or those little commands but ask her how many championship rings this person won and she either doesn't know or tells you to go to a website; jeee thanks let me read it! But use google voice search and it usually gets it right and reads you the info. Its disappointing how far apple has fallen behind on a tech they help push to the mainstream in iphone 4s.

Like I just ask what time costco opens tomorrow (its 11pm at night) and google voice search on the phone shows the time. Siri shows that its currently closed. :facepalm
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2018 ---
    WTF just tried it and google turned on my flashlight on my iphone! WTFFFFFFFFF lol

24. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

No worries, have to look out for the newer members :)

25. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Very true! Strange