Siri is unresponsive

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SeenJeen, Oct 15, 2013.

1. SeenJeen macrumors regular

Lately (last 2 weeks since I've updated to iOS 7) about 60% of the things I command to Siri timeout.
    It usually just spins, and I get the "I'm sorry, I can't take any requests..." error.

Dictation gives up about a minute later, too. This is both on my home internet (10mbps) and 3G (full bars).

While iOS 6 wasn't always accurate, it at least took my requests most of the time.

Really annoying, since Siri / Dictation was the whole reason why I bought an iPhone 4S.

Anyone else notice this?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Some of the servers that host Siri are still at Nuance headquarters (the company Apple bought Siri from). Apple doesn't quite have 100% control over it just yet. I'm sure the servers need updates or more bandwidth.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'm sorry, I can't take any requests right now. Please try again in a little while.

4. SeenJeen thread starter macrumors regular

:mad: I think I'm going to trade for a Nexus 4 for a while...

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So because Siri doesn't respond every time you try it you're going to switch to an older phone with no LTE connection speed?

Good luck.

6. SeenJeen thread starter macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4S (which also doesn't have LTE... I don't need LTE, either...). Nexus 4 is newer in every way.

Why would I put up with an OS that doesn't work every time? I can stomach the random bugs and slowdowns in iOS 7, but the piss poor responsiveness of Siri is unacceptable.

I had an iPhone 4 before this (and Siri was the reason I upgraded to 4S)

7. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

I also have a 4S. I have not noticed any slow down and Siri seems to work better for me on iOS 7 than it did on iOS 6. Did you do an OTA update? I did a clean install since I was upgrading from a jailbroken device. I don't know if that would make any difference.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The Nexus 5 is going to be released soon. At least wait for that if you're going with the Nexus line.

9. Fission macrumors regular

Seems legit.

10. SeenJeen thread starter macrumors regular

I did a restore from IPSW in iTunes... and started as new phone (not from backup)

When Siri works, it works better than iOS 6's Siri. But it doesn't work as often (I'd say every other request times out)

----------

Nexus 4 is a newer phone than iPhone 4S, which also doesn't have LTE.
    So yes, legit.

There's another thread on the second page (I bumped it...)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1646895

It seems like I'm not the only one having this problem.

11. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Maybe it's server issues in your area. Like I said, I haven't been having any issues with Siri lately. I hope you can get it sorted out though. I had similar issues occur before on iOS 6 and it was annoying.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

No one is saying the problem is not there. Siri is not always available but to switch phones because of it sound a bit extreme because afterall, Siri is just an added bonus and is not required to operate the phone properly. Furthermore, The google search app voice search can almost do everything Siri can do.

13. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

No, for him, it's not extreme. People are entitled to their own opinions.

Apple marketed the hell out of Siri making your life easier when the 4S debuted. Remember the Zoe Deschanel and Samuel L Jackson adds? Remember the promise of not having to type or open a bunch of apps and having the phone do it for you?

Google now does this much better than Siri does, and in terms of being interlaced with native phone capability, Google Now is no match for Siri in any way shape or form--at least on the iPhone.

If having something like Siri/Google Now is important to the OP, and he wants it to work on his phone, and he's using a phone as old as the 4S, let him make his own choices. Sounds like a logical move to me.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I guess every one has their own expectations. Siri to me is just an additional feature I tend to use once in a while. I don't live by it. Just like the cruise control in my car.

15. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Siri has not been working very well for me either lately.

16. SeenJeen thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's an advertised feature, a feature that I upgraded from an iPhone 4 for.

It's sorta a big deal for me because I rely on Siri to read and reply to messages when I'm driving. And when timeouts happen because Siri isn't as reliable in iOS 7 than it was in iOS 6, then it's a problem.

That's why I created this topic, not to debate on how useful Siri is for you, but to see if other people are having this problem as well. If it's just me, then I know its my phone. If lots of people have this problem, Apple should address it. :)

17. dotme macrumors 6502a

Try using control center to put iphone in airplane mode. Wait 20 secs. Turn airplane mode off. Try Siri

I've had success with the above from time to time.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It may have been heavily advertised but to me its just a bonus feature. If Siri didn't exist I'd still own an iPhone.

19. Splitting macrumors newbie

I've had a few siri failures today as well. It also seems to have a noticeable problem when I get home from work and has to use my wifi connection for the first time that day, rather than 3G.

People often mention siri's servers being overloaded. So why can't apple simply increase the capacity?

I don't know about these things so I'm asking a genuine question. Is it a hard thing to do?

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Because some of the servers responsible for Siri are still at Nuance HQ (the company Apple bought Siri from).