Siri not listening

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by tomimorillo, Jun 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tomimorillo macrumors newbie

I evoke Siri and it pops up but its not listening. I've checked my mic and its OK. Am I the only one having this issue?

2. tomimorillo thread starter macrumors newbie

Woops! I figured it out... I have attached a Belkin ThunderDock that has a mic input. Although on the Mic preferences on Siri I have selected "Internal Mic" and not "USB PnP Sound Device", which is the ThunderDock, for some reason it does not recognize the internal Mic unless I detach the ThunderDock.

3. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

On other note, can Siri listen without pressing Siri icon? Kinda useless tbh if you must press the button first...

4. tomimorillo thread starter macrumors newbie

You have to press the key combinations (fn+spacebar which is the default or a customized set) or the icon. It'll be cool if they implement "Hey Siri!" as an option.

5. ISRMafia macrumors regular

ISRMafia

I bet when you charge your laptop it has that feature like the iPhone 5s & 5 , but not always on like the new iPhone 6s and 6s plus

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Whoa, I didn't even realize that Hey Siri wasn't included in Sierra, haha. Of all my devices my Mac is probably the one I'm liable to use Hey Siri on the most, so that's too bad.

Somewhat related - when your Macs are muted and you invoke Siri, does she still make that activation dinging noise? That always bugged me to no end and I always end up activating her by mistake in the library or some other place where I'm supposed to be quiet

7. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

8. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Here is my tutorial: How to enable Hey Siri activation on a mac with Sierra

It has a few more details than the 9to5mac article.

9. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

I implemented the "Hey Siri" functionality some time ago. While that made it easier to talk to "her", "she" got so many things wrong, or was unable to fulfill my request so many times, that I finally just gave up. As I have said before, I find Siri really half-baked, and a product that should not have been let out the door quite yet. The app needed a lot more polish first, in my view. I haven't used Siri since. Besides, I don't feel comfortable talking to a machine anyway. I much prefer a quiet work environment.