Siri Not Responding

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KnightNurse, Nov 3, 2013.

1. KnightNurse, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

KnightNurse macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I'm currently using an iPhone 5S 7.0.3 on T-Mobile and Siri no longer responds. It's the strangest thing because it worked a few days ago. I have done multiple restores, and I continue to get a message stating "I'm really sorry about this, but I can't take any requests right now. Please try again in a little while." I have used Wifi and T-Mobile data and still nothing.

When Siri is being used there seems to be some image retention on the bottom portion of the screen, but it goes away once Siri is exited. I have attached screenshots to this post. Has anyone seen this before? I have scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow night. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Try reset network settings. Also turn Siri off then restart phone, then turn Siri back on.

3. KnightNurse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work. I will try a DFU restore and see how that goes!

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. KnightNurse thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you recommend that I go into DFU mode and restore iOS 7.0.3? I have no other ideas on how to resolve this issue. Thanks!

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would not recommend DFU mode for a Siri issue. If anything, Restore within iTunes should be fine. (Assuming you want to take the long and painful route)

7. KnightNurse thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize for being repetitive, but I have restored my phone twice using iTunes and no luck. I just finished a DFU restore and still no luck. Maybe it's just a problem with my location. Thank you for your help!

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you have done so, have you restored from a backup or have you started from scratch (set up as new iPhone)?

9. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

Semi-unrelated: thinking about your issue, OP, I asked Siri, "Are you there?" and got a pretty funny answer lol.

On topic of your post: Siri is a network service, meaning that it needs a network connection to function properly. The problem is most likely not with your phone but with some kind of issue contacting the Siri service.

That's what I'm thinking, anyway. More informed persons should comment.

With that in mind, I think it's more useful for you to troubleshoot potential network issues rather than your phone. Make sure that your data and wifi are functioning, and if all else fails just wait a few hours.

10. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I got that a lot on my 5, I just got a 5s. We shall see. Sometimes it told me it could not connect to the internet when I was outside on not on Wifi. This was with AT&T.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

When you do restore, you restore as NEW and DON'T use a backup.

12. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

It's siri server...My siri sucks as does my fiancé siri. Always giving me that crap. Apple makes billions and then skimps everywhere possible.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

My Siri works great, I think is the area where you live.

So far on my 5S, it has failed only 2 times and I got mine 3 days after launch day.

14. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

This began immediately after I updated to ios7. It's also been reported by people since iOS 7 was released to the public.

15. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Um.. Siri is server based. Sometimes it has problems with the servers on Apple's end, causing no responses or slow response. Unless you're out of data range, I'm pretty sure it's not your phone.

I've been having the same problem and slow responses lately. Which sucks, as when I first got the phone, it was instant fast. I thought they finally fixed it, as when I was on the 4s, it barely ever worked. Looks like I had my hopes up of them fixing it too early. :(

16. scottdt21 macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem all day yesterday - both with Siri and voice-to-text dictation. Apple Support was no help and could find no problem on their end. Today things are back to normal so I suspect there was an Apple data network issue.

17. KnightNurse, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

KnightNurse thread starter macrumors newbie

The strangest thing happened yesterday. I tried absolutely everything to fix this Siri issue and turning the speakerphone on and off during a call did the job. It was the strangest thing. I don't think it had to do with my area because I traveled a couple hundred miles these past few days. I'm a new iPhone adopter and I'm loving it! Thanks again for all of the great help!

One more thing. Do you think Apple will ever make voice dictation and commands offline? I don't want to get into an Apple vs Google debate, but it's a real bummer not being able to send a text to someone using voice commands when I'm on the road in a poor coverage area.