Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At some point in the last 24 hours, Siri on the HomePod and the HomePod mini seems to have forgotten how to relay the time. When asking Siri "what time is it?" Siri is unable to answer and directs users to the iPhone.

HomePod-2-and-Mini-feature-2.jpg

"I found some web results, I can show them if you ask again from your iPhone," is Siri's full response to the time question. If you ask what time it is in a specific location, Siri is able to respond, and Siri on iPhone, iPad, and Mac provides the time as usual when asked.

This is a bug that Apple will be able to fix server side, so it will likely be addressed quickly. In the meantime, to get the time from Siri on the HomePod without having to swap to an iPhone, include your location.

Siri has long been ridiculed for failing to understand requests and not providing the expected information, and small bugs like this are a bit embarrassing as Apple prepares for a major AI update.

For the last several months, Siri has also been struggling with HomeKit commands, and there have been many complaints from smart home users. Asking Siri to "turn off the lights in the living room," for example, often results in the lights being turned on or turned off in another room entirely. Hopefully some of these issues will be solved with a Siri overhaul in iOS 18 and its sister updates.

Update: Apple seems to have fixed the issue somewhat. Asking "what time is it?" provides the time, but Siri is still not able to give the time if you ask "what's the time?" or "can you tell me the time?"

(Thanks, Ben!)

Article Link: Siri on HomePod Seems to Have Forgotten How to Give the Time

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
At some point in the last 24 hours, Siri on the HomePod and the HomePod mini seems to have forgotten how to relay the time. When asking Siri "what time is it?" Siri is unable to answer and directs users to the iPhone.
Siri won't even search the web for you?

You: What time is it?

Siri: I found this on the web. Check it out.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Siri is awful, it’s basically the metric by which I judge Apple software quality. The unwillingness of that company to fix things they cannot possibly be unaware of if comedic. And this is how Tim drives things. Siri isn’t a subscription based item, so it gets little attention. I wouldn’t discount them lumping Siri pro into iCloud or something because their drive is one of complacency for a while now in this realm.

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
IMHO Siri is crap, I tried to use it for many years. It's a pain. Tried to get weather info and calendar info when I snooze my alarm over shortcuts. Siri isn't able to give weather information fluently (German language). It stutters like sleepy Joe.
Unfixed.

No recurring reminders on HomePods, why? Unfixed

On iPhone: "Call Susi" -> Siri: "I can't find Susie in your contacts". Apple fixed this after several years.

On HomePod: "Play Rock Antenne" (a radio station). Siri: Now playing: "...." (everything else but not the radio station).

I use HomePods only as Matter/Thread routers, and avoid Siri wherever I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.