Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Are others having issues all the time with Siri? It seems to have become so slow and takes ages to respond. I am constantly getting things like “One Moment” “one sec” “on it” etc just for really simple requests like “set timer for 1 minute.”

I have a very fast FTTP broadband and it’s the same on 4G or 5G

it is quicker to set the timer manually.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Sorry to bring this up but I found I really handy tip I just tried myself and thought I’d share. Go to general settings then into Siri- switch off 1. Show in spotlight, 2. Show in look up then underneath switch off 3. Show in App Library and spotlight.
now hard reset your phone.
Turn on phone again - you may turn those features back on if desired.
should be a decent speed increase (it was for me)

Reactions: smoking monkey

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Sounds like a slow internet connection. I get this all the time when I’m in an area with poor signal. I also had a similar problem in that web sites loaded really slowly even though we had 1GB fiber. I went to settings and reset the network connection and it magically all worked really fast.

General / Reset / Reset Network Settings

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Sorry to bring this up but I found I really handy tip I just tried myself and thought I’d share. Go to general settings then into Siri- switch off 1. Show in spotlight, 2. Show in look up then underneath switch off 3. Show in App Library and spotlight.
now hard reset your phone.
Turn on phone again - you may turn those features back on if desired.
should be a decent speed increase (it was for me)
Are you on current iOS 14.7.1 or using iOS15? I'm on the former and can't see the settings you refer to....a screen shot maybe?

hb_8919

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
Siri is disappointing on HomePod for me, my commands such Hey Siri turn on heater, lights etc... mostly ends up on one moment kinda responses but on the other hand Google does all of these faster and always works! but on iPhone Siri works without any issues. Idk what's the issue :-x Apple Support is hopeless.

Reactions: moyjoy and NARadyk

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Are you on current iOS 14.7.1 or using iOS15? I'm on the former and can't see the settings you refer to....a screen shot maybe?
I’m on 15.0 - but it’s definitely on 14.x. I’ll get something for you give me a sec.

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
C312EFD7-1DFE-4911-8613-ED96A52AD0BC.jpeg

your options, if different will still definitely be available maybe under different headings. This is a hack from as early as iOS 13 I believe.

Reactions: smoking monkey

mekump

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
We occasionally have the same problem with the HomePod. Something as simple as asking what time is it.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Sounds like a slow internet connection. I get this all the time when I’m in an area with poor signal. I also had a similar problem in that web sites loaded really slowly even though we had 1GB fiber. I went to settings and reset the network connection and it magically all worked really fast.

General / Reset / Reset Network Settings
Also commonly WiFi issues, too many devices, Wifi bands are easily interfered with from other routers, and in-house devices. As long as Wifi is working Siri is very quick even on my Apple Watch

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
We occasionally have the same problem with the HomePod. Something as simple as asking what time is it.
Check your Wifi, easy to add too many devices, get interference from neighbors, even in home appliances can interfere with wifi bands

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I don't use siri much at home personally but the only time my phone has a witty comment like that is when I have low cell reception. I would assume either slow internet, or the time for your phone to send the packets to the siri server exceeds a threshold, then this would trigger. Would be the same reason why low cell signal would do it as well.

Last edited:

moyjoy

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2019
New York
Yep. Also answering the TV when it thinks it’s said hey Siri but asking me “who is speaking” when I ask it to do something ?

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Wifi speed can definitely make a difference. Our old AirPort Extreme was noticably slow during lockdown last year, so I replaced it with an Amplifi HD. Rather than throw it out, I repurposed the Airport to build a separate IOT network which included our HomePods. Siri was always slow, but I just thought that was how it was. Our living room Roku started acting up and while diagnosing I noticed if I put my phone on the IOT network standing near the Roku it wasn't connecting either. Also we noticed our Ooma going offline occasionally, so I figured the Airport was starting to give out. I just replaced the Airport with a refurb Wifi5 Eero model and now everything is running better, including Siri. Everything except that Roku which seems to also have died. Now I wonder if the dying Roku was causing interference... Maybe I should find a use for a third network and bring the Airport back to life again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.