Siri rarely working on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bentroxell, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bentroxell macrumors member

So I just got my iPhone 5 on release day and I am having quite a bit of trouble with Siri. I set my phone up as a new phone. I am coming from the 4, so I cannot compare it's performance to Siri on the 4s.

I can say it works about 10% of the time. Sometimes it takes a very long time to reply and most of the time I get an error message or just give up on waiting. I understand that the server will be very congested the first day or two, but it is still going on constantly and is very frustrating.

I have 3-4 bars on "4g" and have pretty quick wifi (25mbps).

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm not sure what to do.

2. SWODiphone macrumors newbie

I just got my iPhone 5 and haven't been having any problems at all including Siri's response time...

Since its new phone it might be worth trying to do a factory reset

3. aldo818 macrumors regular

4. 87am macrumors regular

Yes! Same exact problem here. What she transcribes is usually very accurate, but it's like she times out waiting on the server?? This is so frustrating.

5. dmusicstud macrumors newbie

Same problem here - in addition, my battery life is HORRIBLE (4 hours on a full charge). I'm going to reset an reinstall iOS6 tonight to see of that solves it

6. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Siri was working fine for me the first day, but it hasn't worked AT ALL today on either mine or my wife's iPhone 5. It just sits there spinning and eventually gives us an error. Tried rebooted, but that didn't help. Doesn't matter if we are on WIFI or LTE, it still doesn't work so it's definitely not related to the phone's network.

I assumed it was just Apple's servers being hammered. However, I also have a New iPad and Siri is working great on there without any delay or error. Wonder why that would be the case, unless they have servers set aside just for Siri use on the iPad (doubtful). But if it's working fine on the iPad and not on two different iPhone 5's, what does that indicate? If it hadn't been working so well the first day, I'd say there was something amiss on the iPhone itself.

Anybody else?

7. ~Dionysos~ macrumors newbie

8. jamojamo macrumors 6502

I am also having the same Siri experiences. New iPhone, not an upgrade or anything.

Also experiencing some pretty poor battery life but I attributed that to a lot of messing around on it as I try to learn it.

9. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Finally, tonight Siri is working fine again....

10. Castle87 macrumors regular

She reminds me of a dog that does amazing tricks when you're alone but then when there's people around, refuses to do the tricks. First day, she was killing it. You would have thought I was talking to a human being in terms of how fast she responded and how accurate she was. Then I tried to show her off in front of some people and well, that didn't work out very well. She has been pretty spotty, but when she's on, it's scary how much she understands. When she's off, it's a total buzzkill. I always thought it had something to do with service, but I'm not sure. I really can't explain her inconsistency but hopefully it's a bug that can be fixed. She is so awesome when she's working properly.

11. leerichards1 macrumors regular

Have also been having some Siri issues recently. Weirdly, it seems to work far more often on my iPad than my iPhone. This morning iPhone was fine for about 20 queries (showing it to my Android owning friend) but then nothing for the next 5 attempts so I gave up. I'm assuming it's simply a capacity issue. Anyone else finding it working more often on iPad than iPhone? On multiple occasions I've tested a query on the iPhone and got nothing, iPad works fine and back to the iPhone nothing again.

12. BERRYP186 macrumors member

Same problem here new iphone 5 , had a 4 so it's new but does not work properly either. Hope they fix it soon one of many reasons i up graded.......

13. Bentroxell thread starter macrumors member

14. EggrollShop macrumors member

Siri's a hit or miss for me as well even back when I had my 4S. All I do is reboot it and usually fixes itself. Usually...

15. kkishfy macrumors newbie

Siri has been very slow all day today. Tonight, I can't even get a simple reminder to go through. Have a new iPhone 5 64gb on AT&T.

16. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Same issues. Although mine is a little different. I ask Siri something and occasionally the thinking rotating circle will just stay on until I reset my phone....Also having the slow response time problem as well.:(

17. jcacuracl macrumors newbie

Siri really needs a fix. It screws up almost all the time for me.

18. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

Same problem here. Siri is extremely slow compared to the 4s. Day 1 I was surprised to see how much faster Siri was on the 5 compared to the 4s but now it takes 30 seconds or more to answer a simple question and most of the time I just give up. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

19. Bbomber macrumors newbie

Had the same issue come up yesterday on my iPhone 5. Resolved the issue by completely resetting my phone and then restored it using my last backup. So far so good... Good luck!

20. SwisströM macrumors newbie

Siri is the most useless non-feature ever! First thing I disabled in my 5.

21. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

What good is Siri if it only works 30% of the time? If you have to wonder whether it will work, it completely defeats the purpose. Why can't certain tasks like "set my alarm" or "remind me to..." be stored locally so connection to the Internet isn't necessary?