Siri & Relations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Futhark, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I've seen that Siri can identify relationships so for example if i say, "Text my wife" it know's who exactly who to text in my contacts. how does it do this? do i have to store her in my phonebook as WIFE instead of her name?

I see you can edit peoples contacts and ADD FIELD and select RELATED PEOPLE but i don't know how this works for me the phone owner, this looks to me that you can link a contact with another but not actually with myself, maybe i'm wrong? could someone clarify how this will work if they know?

Many Thanks

2. jbrucato macrumors member

I believe that you can tell Siri to assign a contact as "you wife". I'm not sure if it's through saying something like, "So and So is my wife" or when you say "Text my wife." it will then prompt you for who your wife is and then remember that entry.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I don't know, but I would imagine you link phone numbers and contact names to the word 'wife' within Siri itself. You set it up once by saying My Wife is Jane Smith (or something like that).

4. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I believe the first time you say to text your wife Siri will ask who that is.

Or, in the iPhone Address Book, go to yourself, add the relations field, pick spouse and choose whoever your wife is in your address book.

5. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Ah that makes sense !!! Thanks for the replies

6. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if it'll do nicknames? Or non relative relationships like a boss?

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Indeed. I think it will ask for clarification if you haven't defined the relationship already, but if it doesn't, I know you can click the mic and say "My wife is..." and it will remember. I'm assuming that friends with first name only basis works the same. "Call Steve" "Do you mean Steve Smith or Steve Jones?" And then it remembers from then on out.

8. scootaru macrumors 6502

I am so intrigued by Siri. I made the upgrade to the 4S solely because I think it will be the most amazing feature of the phone, even if it is only software based. I can not wait to test out everything it can do.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you ask it to call someone who is not saved in your phonebook as 'wife' or 'boss' it asks who they are. Simple as that really.

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

though siri seems like it will work great, siri on the app store had many features for 2 years. id always use siri when getting upto date flight info, and to call a taxi, or find the nearest restaurant.

you could even link your credit card to it to purchase.

it was one of my favorite gizmos on the phone, but i cannot wait to text someone using bluetooth headset. if that works well, i will be a happy customer.

11. AJayAgliolio macrumors member

AJayAgliolio

I wonder if when you activate Siri if it will ask you all kinds of questions and ask you to repeat words to better learn stuff like relationships and to recognize your voice.

I'm definitely thinking Siri has huge potential... I can only imagine how awesome it'll be when it gets out of 'beta.'

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Siri, my wife's name is Loquisha.

Siri call my wife.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

text wife

Siri: multiple matches found
    Wife 1
    Wife 2
    Wife 3

:D

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

on the old app it did ask you. it asked where you lived, relations (iirc), and other personal stuff to work better.

15. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

16. Pikkuroope macrumors member

Wonder when Siri takes part at court. As judge.

17. scootaru macrumors 6502

Will Siri be able to change settings on the phone, ie, turn off/on wifi? What about launching apps? I want to say "Search for Angry Birds in the App Store", have the App Store launch, and search for Angry Birds.

18. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

haha, nice.

But for everyone else just saying "this is another stupid voice-control app" - let me know what other voice control 'learns' information about you.

19. Pikkuroope macrumors member

They say it understands what you say so hopefully yes. That shouldn't be too hard, I quess.

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Just wait until Siri starts getting belligerent.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Easy to do.

It's just setting an equivalent. It's programmed to recognize the word "is".

When you say "My wife is Jane Doe", it's storing the word "Jane Doe" as being the value of the words "my wife".

You should also be able to say, "My honey is Jane Doe", and anytime you said "Text my honey" it would substitute "Jane Doe" as the person to text.

(It might go a bit further and recognize the word "my", so it can just store "honey" and thus be able to say things like "Your honey called.")

22. kmanmx macrumors 6502

I want to know how long Siri will analyze your voice for before stopping or going wrong during SMS messages.

E.g, will it only accept small things such as "Meet you at 7pm". Or would i be able to say "7pm is good, do you want me to pick you up in my car, or you could pick me up ? If not we will get a taxi or something"

If it lets me say something of that length i would be highly impressed :D But somehow i doubt it.

23. scootaru macrumors 6502

"Siri, get directions to my house"
    "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

24. Pikkuroope macrumors member

' I'm sorry but your data usage has exceeded you plan, see you next month. '

25. InTheAir macrumors regular

Thus my reason for keeping "unlimited".....;)