Siri Remote - Fragile

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tdroz73, Nov 5, 2015.

1. tdroz73 macrumors newbie

This happened:

[​IMG]

Anyone else? Needless to say, I'm a bit shocked this broke like this - especially considering I only dropped it from a short distance onto the kitchen table top. $79 to replace it folks!

Why isn't Apple drop testing stuff? How could this pass such a test?

So many questions...

2. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Wow. Edge to edge glass seems like an obviously bad design decision for a handheld remote.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

4. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Just call apple Support with your grievances, They are quick to respond with a helpful solution....sarcasm....

5. tdroz73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well as you may have guessed - they knew nothing of this. I took it to the Apple Store and they claimed it was the first one they have seen like this - they didn't even realize it was glass is what one guy told me. But the manager was nice enough to swap it out for me, so I'm back to a pristine remote. But I question for how long - as soon as the kids get their hands on this, lord knows what will happen...

6. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

7. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Glass cracks if struck the right way with enough force.

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

10. normanfox macrumors 6502a

Nice remote cover. but it does not cover the top glass at bottom of the remote .

11. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

It's made out of glass. Who would have guessed that it's fragile?

12. Rigby macrumors 601

Looks like one of Apple's form-over-function choices. Really not a good design for a device that will invariably get dropped at some point. Most people won't even realize that the touch surface is made of glass until it's too late.

13. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I think the concept is much like bumpers on the iPhone. When dropped, the case will prohibit the glass from coming into contact with any surface. So, it should be safe.

Then again, one of my kids once dropped-my bumper-equipped iPhone smack-dab on a rock, when doing FaceTime with grandma. Still, given that that we're not likely to have rocks in our living rooms, I guess the bumper design is OK.

14. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Apple does extensive testing for all of their products. To the point that they will even completely scratch a design if a button doesn't resonate at the right frequency. Unfortunately, they cannot test for peoples lack of common sense.

A better question is why didn't they use something like Gorilla glass for this part?

15. normanfox macrumors 6502a

the whole point of testing is to make sure that all common scenarios are covered, including common user behaviors regardless of common sense or not.

16. tdroz73 thread starter macrumors newbie

So - what part of common sense is it when you pick it up and it slips out of your hand? I think that's one part being human and the other gravity. Its not like this was done intentionally...

There's a certain expectation when it comes to devices we've all had for years. Especially remotes. My family has dropped our Logitech Harmony onto tile floors in the past and they survive - because they were designed for that. This seems to be either a design decision to just look appealing without consideration for some basic scenarios. People drop remotes. People with kids around will have remotes dropped frequently. And with 99.9999% of the remotes out there in the market, they survive just fine.

But I do want to know why this wasn't gorilla glass as well. But with the edge exposed, I just don't know if that would help - as I've seen gorilla glass phones shatter when dropped on their edges.

17. tdroz73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. Hell - even Apple's own staff at the store - and on the phone (AppleCare) didn't seem to realize it was glass either. It doesn't feel like glass that's for sure (until its broken - then, ouch)

18. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

They did drop test it. It smashed. They consider that a pass.

It's no accident replacements were on sale from day one.

19. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Really? Is that why companies have to put warning labels on their products? You know, the ones that say "do not use in the shower" for electric hair dryers... or "Caution, do not hold the wrong end of chainsaw".

I think you're confusing testing with the decision making that happens afterward. Common sense is like deodorant. The people who need it the most never use it.

20. normanfox macrumors 6502a

that was why I said "common user behaviors." using electrical hair dryer in the shower is NOT common behavior.

you are the one who are confused between common behavior and random/accident behaviors.

dropping a remote on the floor is a common behaviors, intended or not. throwing it in water is not.

21. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I can honestly say that I've never dropped a remote. I've asked around, and those asked told me the same thing, that they've never dropped one either so your definition of 'common' is different from mine. Having said that, if someone knew that they always dropped a widget, and one day they bought a glass widget, common sense should tell them not to be around hard surfaces, or at least to be very careful while handling the glass widget.

22. normanfox macrumors 6502a

common behaviors do not apply to everyone. your not dropping a remote does not mean everyone would not. common sense is not equal to common behavior. people got drunk and do foolish things all the time. it is not common sense but they do it.

if you never drop a remote, good for you. how about your kids, wife, dog, cat? can you say they never drop too?

23. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Correct, but if they're common for a certain person then I would think that certain person would think twice while handling a GLASS remote. Thank you for helping to make my point.

Nope, no one else. Dog and cat know they aren't allowed to touch the remote because we're tired of watching Lassie and Garfield reruns.

24. normanfox macrumors 6502a

consider yourself lucky. this thread is useless to you. you must save alot of money by not buying cases for things.

25. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Yep, I don't even have a case on my phone ;)