Siri remote no longer powers off my TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BOTLY, Feb 20, 2017.

1. BOTLY macrumors newbie

Used to work like a champ.

At some point, it has stopped working. And now I have to leave the TV remote out instead of using the Siri remote exclusively.

Please help. :(

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Use the TV remote and disable/enable CEC (your TV manufacture might have a different name for CEC)

3. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

How does the Siri Remote shut off the TV?

I can turn my TV on with the siri remote by hitting the MENU or TV/App button. but i haven't found a way to turn it off. I do have CEC or whatever enabled.

thanks, and sorry to hijack your thread

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

There is a thread here with a list of TVs that don't work well with CEC. Some Visio models have this issue. Consumers have contacted them about the issue. But they haven't addressed it.

On my older Samsung TV, I had to disable CEC for it to work.

Edit

Here's the thread.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-tv-turning-off-tv-over-hdmi-cec.1935105/

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

weird. ok. I have an older Samsung TV. 2009.

6. 2010mini macrumors 68040

On Samsungs I believe CEC is called Anynet+ At first when it was enabled, it would come on screen after i turn the apple TV off. And gave a message like: searching for devices.... My guess was that it was trying to be the main control device instead of save to the ATV.

7. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

the concept of Anynet/CEC is good but i have issues with mine.
    When I turn off the Bluray Player it switches TV Inputs to Antenna...nothing is connected that way so it is grey fuzz.
    When I change inputs from AppleTV to TV...it'll automatically switch (If i already selected the Cable HDMI input) to the Antenna input.

annoying.

One day this will be our basement TV anyway and a newer/better TV will be our main TV. until then I just have to deal with stupid things.

oh and the Samsung Speaker Bar...whenever i use the TV/Siri/Cable/Bluray remote to change the volume I get a message that blocks the screen view "Not Available" or "Unsupported Device" and it does change the volume but i get that pop-up. only way to not see it is to use the speaker remote...another annoying thing.

again sorry to hijack this thread.