Siri Shortcuts Not Working Properly For Some iPhone Users [Fixed]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It's not just you: it appears that Siri Shortcuts have not been working properly for some iPhone users since as early as Tuesday.

[​IMG]

A small but increasing numbers of users on Twitter and the MacRumors forums claim that they are unable to invoke shortcuts using Siri, including Federico Viticci of MacStories and Rene Ritchie of iMore. The shortcuts still work if executed directly from the Shortcuts app, but not with a Siri voice command.

The issue is not affecting all users, nor is it affecting all apps. Third-party apps appear to be affected more than Apple's apps. It also doesn't appear to be related to today's release of iOS 12.1.1 or Shortcuts version 2.1.2. Your mileage may vary, so leave us a comment in our forums if you are affected.

As with any cloud-based service interruption, Apple certainly has engineers working on a server-side fix. With the issue now receiving media attention, a fix shouldn't be far away. We'll update this article when it is implemented.

In the meantime, some users have been able to re-record their Siri Shortcuts phrases to get them working again. To do so, open the Shortcuts app, tap on the three dots on a shortcut, tap on the settings toggle icon below Done in the top-right corner, tap on Siri Phrase, and tap Re-Record Phrase.

Update: Apple has implemented a fix, according to Rene Ritchie.

Article Link: Siri Shortcuts Not Working Properly For Some iPhone Users [Fixed]

2. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

siri not working correctly....what else is new.

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Can't imagine this depends on a Web service. It seriously needs to support offline operation!

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I’m still on 12.1 and thought I was crazy an hour ago when mine stopped working. Glad I’m not the only one.

5. Statcoder macrumors newbie

HEY APPLE - It's not a shortcut if it doesn't work. I've saved a total of 5 minutes using it over the past few months and have spent 10 minutes trying to get it to work over the past couple of days.

6. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

OMG! we have to use our iPhones like it's (early) 2018! Oh the humanity!

7. walex19 macrumors regular

walex19

8. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Its ok... nobody uses anything related to Siri. Haven't since 2011.

9. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

My siri has no voice output anyone else having this problem kina hard to get driving directions without a voice

10. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

11. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

The workaround for Siri not working is... not working. o_O

12. avanpelt macrumors 68030

One of the best Siri shortcuts I’ve used lately is when the recently-updated Google Assistant app prompted me to set up a shortcut such that I say “Hey Google” and it launches the Google Assistant app and is automatically waiting for my voice input. That worked great for about a week. Now, when I say, “Hey Google”, Siri responds, “Wow...awkward.” Yeah, it is awkward, Siri, because you’re not working properly.

13. spiddyman007 macrumors regular

spiddyman007

That **** never worked for me. It’s such a stupid concept just let Siri do it for me. Programming Siri to do what I say is what Apple should do

14. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Check the audio settings for navigation by pulling up on the panel that shows your ETA, remaining distance, etc. If that doesn't fix it, try selecting the voice you'd expect (American male/female or whatever) in Settings > Siri & Search, since I suppose it's possible that the voice hasn't been downloaded. I don't think the Voice Feedback section has any impact on navigation, but that's worth a shot too.

15. ResEvilG4 macrumors newbie

I have a start my commute to work. Opens Waze and puts in my work address then starts playing The Daily. That shortcut quite working a couple weeks ago, and I just fixed it today. I put start the podcast before waze.

16. Kermetajb macrumors member

Kermetajb

I’m also affected. Contacted apple. They’re useless. Generic troubleshooting tips.

17. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

Happened to me but I put it down to moving to a new XR by restoring backup. Re-recording the phrase made it work again.

18. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

Well having a bit of imagination helps with products like this. Workflow and now shortcuts is a fantastic product. Just don’t use it if you don’t like it, rather simple fix.

19. s15119 macrumors 65832

s15119

Actually, millions of people use Siri on a daily basis.

20. Gordie macrumors newbie

Shortcut didn't work this morning and I had to go Wayback Wednesday to a month or so ago before there were Siri shortcuts. Not expecting to lose much sleep over this. Marked myself "Safe" on Facebook in the Great Siri Shortcut Fail of 2018.

21. dan110 macrumors 6502

dan110

The several million dollar question here is, "Why does Apple keep failing in the AI and ML spaces while Amazon, Microsoft, and Google are thriving?"

22. AstroRob, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

AstroRob macrumors member

AstroRob

Yup, exactly this problem hit me on Monday. I'd demoed 'take a selfie' for coworkers earlier in the day (worked) and that night "Home ETA" failed. Instead it (and Work ETA) caused Siri to say no destination had been set and asking me where to go.

I tried rerecording "Home ETA" but it still went to the navigation response, but later redid it as "when do I get home" and that new phrase seems to have stuck.

And for the naysayers, Siri has been an incredibly useful technology that I use constantly through the day on phone, watch, and computer.

EDIT: Note for me this was all before the new Shortcuts app and system update.

And my re-recording the Siri phrase only worked when I changed the phrase. Not sure if that's the magic bullet or not.

23. billcod macrumors newbie

Re-recording does not fix my Siri Shortcuts. Hope the next beta does.

24. AstroRob macrumors member

AstroRob

Uh, wrong, lots of people use it.

And if you haven't used it since 2011 you truly have no idea of what it does or how well it works. Funny thing about software underlying bleeding edge technologies: it actually tends to get better and more powerful over time.