Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's not just you: it appears that Siri Shortcuts have not been working properly for some iPhone users since as early as Tuesday.

siri-shortcuts-duo.jpg

A small but increasing numbers of users on Twitter and the MacRumors forums claim that they are unable to invoke shortcuts using Siri, including Federico Viticci of MacStories and Rene Ritchie of iMore. The shortcuts still work if executed directly from the Shortcuts app, but not with a Siri voice command.

The issue is not affecting all users, nor is it affecting all apps. Third-party apps appear to be affected more than Apple's apps. It also doesn't appear to be related to today's release of iOS 12.1.1 or Shortcuts version 2.1.2. Your mileage may vary, so leave us a comment in our forums if you are affected.

I've been editing an article all day. But yes, none of my Siri shortcuts are working at the moment and this pretty much sucks. https://t.co/uaqfSSzbXp - Federico Viticci (@viticci) December 5, 2018
Apple seems to be aware and working on a fix. The tragedy and triumph of Siri triggers being online services... https://t.co/k8c66OgZSX - Rene Ritchie (@reneritchie) December 5, 2018

As with any cloud-based service interruption, Apple certainly has engineers working on a server-side fix. With the issue now receiving media attention, a fix shouldn't be far away. We'll update this article when it is implemented.

In the meantime, some users have been able to re-record their Siri Shortcuts phrases to get them working again. To do so, open the Shortcuts app, tap on the three dots on a shortcut, tap on the settings toggle icon below Done in the top-right corner, tap on Siri Phrase, and tap Re-Record Phrase.

Update: Apple has implemented a fix, according to Rene Ritchie.

Article Link: Siri Shortcuts Not Working Properly For Some iPhone Users [Fixed]

Reactions: jeremiah256

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
My siri has no voice output anyone else having this problem kina hard to get driving directions without a voice

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
One of the best Siri shortcuts I’ve used lately is when the recently-updated Google Assistant app prompted me to set up a shortcut such that I say “Hey Google” and it launches the Google Assistant app and is automatically waiting for my voice input. That worked great for about a week. Now, when I say, “Hey Google”, Siri responds, “Wow...awkward.” Yeah, it is awkward, Siri, because you’re not working properly.

Reactions: NetMage and V.K.

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

It's not just you: it appears that Siri Shortcuts have not been working properly for some iPhone users since as early as Tuesday.

siri-shortcuts-duo.jpg

A small but increasing numbers of users on Twitter and the MacRumors forums claim that they are unable to invoke shortcuts using Siri, including Federico Viticci of MacStories and Rene Ritchie of iMore. The shortcuts still work if executed directly from the Shortcuts app, but not with a Siri voice command.

The issue is not affecting all users, nor is it affecting all apps. Third-party apps appear to be affected more than Apple's apps. It also doesn't appear to be related to today's release of iOS 12.1.1 or Shortcuts version 2.1.2. Your mileage may vary, so leave us a comment in our forums if you are affected.

As with any cloud-based service interruption, Apple certainly has engineers working on a server-side fix. With the issue now receiving media attention, a fix shouldn't be far away. We'll update this article when it is implemented.

In the meantime, some users have been able to re-record their Siri Shortcuts phrases to get them working again. To do so, open the Shortcuts app, tap on the three dots on a shortcut, tap on the settings toggle icon below Done in the top-right corner, tap on Siri Phrase, and tap Re-Record Phrase.

Article Link: Siri Shortcuts Not Working Properly For Some iPhone Users
That **** never worked for me. It’s such a stupid concept just let Siri do it for me. Programming Siri to do what I say is what Apple should do

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
My siri has no voice output anyone else having this problem kina hard to get driving directions without a voice
Check the audio settings for navigation by pulling up on the panel that shows your ETA, remaining distance, etc. If that doesn't fix it, try selecting the voice you'd expect (American male/female or whatever) in Settings > Siri & Search, since I suppose it's possible that the voice hasn't been downloaded. I don't think the Voice Feedback section has any impact on navigation, but that's worth a shot too.

ResEvilG4

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
I have a start my commute to work. Opens Waze and puts in my work address then starts playing The Daily. That shortcut quite working a couple weeks ago, and I just fixed it today. I put start the podcast before waze.

Reactions: spiddyman007

Kermetajb

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016

siri-shortcuts-duo.jpg

Article Link: Siri Shortcuts Not Working Properly For Some iPhone Users

I’m also affected. Contacted apple. They’re useless. Generic troubleshooting tips.

Reactions: Ravensmoon

Gordie

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Shortcut didn't work this morning and I had to go Wayback Wednesday to a month or so ago before there were Siri shortcuts. Not expecting to lose much sleep over this. Marked myself "Safe" on Facebook in the Great Siri Shortcut Fail of 2018.

Reactions: dan110

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
The several million dollar question here is, "Why does Apple keep failing in the AI and ML spaces while Amazon, Microsoft, and Google are thriving?"

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

AstroRob

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Yup, exactly this problem hit me on Monday. I'd demoed 'take a selfie' for coworkers earlier in the day (worked) and that night "Home ETA" failed. Instead it (and Work ETA) caused Siri to say no destination had been set and asking me where to go.

I tried rerecording "Home ETA" but it still went to the navigation response, but later redid it as "when do I get home" and that new phrase seems to have stuck.

And for the naysayers, Siri has been an incredibly useful technology that I use constantly through the day on phone, watch, and computer.

EDIT: Note for me this was all before the new Shortcuts app and system update.

And my re-recording the Siri phrase only worked when I changed the phrase. Not sure if that's the magic bullet or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetMage

AstroRob

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Its ok... nobody uses anything related to Siri. Haven't since 2011.
Uh, wrong, lots of people use it.

And if you haven't used it since 2011 you truly have no idea of what it does or how well it works. Funny thing about software underlying bleeding edge technologies: it actually tends to get better and more powerful over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.