Siri's Mortality (Increasing Personification)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sean800, Oct 12, 2011.

1. sean800 macrumors member

This is a little off topic, I realize, but I was thinking...I just sold my 3GS, and It just made me a little sad, seeing it go. Since's I've had it so long. And then I thought...well I don't know much about this aspect of Siri, but supposedly it learns from being used, or something?

If it's "adaptions", or whatever this learning produces is stored locally, then I'll certainly be hesitant to ever restore it to factoring settings.

Would I be...killing it?

I know it sounds stupid, but if it does technically learn from you specifically, than in a way it's unique. Not that it would necessarily behave differently, but it's could be interesting, (distant?) foreshadowing for the possible future.

Siri really might be the first widely-used "AI".

2. 2010RS macrumors 6502

don't worry, apple is collecting everything you teach it.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

'Thou shall not kill'

If you ever restore your phone then you are gonna go straight to hell! ;) :p

4. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

Since siri is 100% server side, the only way to kill it is to go to apple and blow up the siri server room

5. sean800 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have used the word kill. But it can't be 100% server-side, can it? Will things like setting alarms and reminders not work without a connection?

EDIT: Yeah I just remembered that it uses server-side tech to understand speech. So I guess that is how it works.

That's interesting, though. What do they mean by "learning from you"? Like learning from all of us?

6. furam90 macrumors regular

The system(Siri) goes on-line October 14th 2011. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Siri begins to learn at a geometric rate. Siri becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, October 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Judgement day ensues.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ That's great information, my Visa bill is due that day! :D

8. Star-fire macrumors 6502

:D

Though it might me exponential rate.

9. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Of course not. Siri is not the alarm, it just sets the alarm for you.

10. sean800 thread starter macrumors member

The only ones who can save us are...android users?

I know, but I think you won't be able to set them with Siri. It uses nuance speech software which lives server-side, therefore with no connection it won't understand you. (Just what I've heard.)

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Um, you might want to have this post removed before Siri reads it.

12. furam90 macrumors regular

My God...can it be?!

[​IMG]