SiriusXM Radio Now Works With Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SiriusXM subscribers will be pleased to know that the iOS app was today updated with support for CarPlay, allowing the music service to be used with Apple's in-car platform.

With CarPlay integration, the SiriusXM app will show up directly within the CarPlay interface, allowing for easier access to the SiriusXM app while in the car.
    SiriusXM is a service that allows customers to stream radio online or in the car, offering 150+ streaming music channels along with news, sports, and talk radio. SiriusXM is natively supported by many in-car infotainment systems, and it is priced starting at $10.99 per month.

There are, however, a range of different packages offering access to different content at higher price points. The All Access package, for example, costs $20.99 per month and offers all sports channels.

The SiriusXM app is required on an iOS device for it to work with CarPlay. The app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: SiriusXM Radio Now Works With Apple CarPlay

2. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

So that means a separate antenna is unnecessary, I suppose.

Although for someone like me without CarPlay and an older car (2003) with an aftermarket head-unit, I would probably be better off with the separate tuner anyway.

3. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Finally. Adding the online streaming is much cheaper than adding another radio/tuner to your plan.

4. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

So... you're streaming XM through the phone to CarPlay? What if your car's infotainment has XM? Can you control the build in XM antenna via CarPlay?

5. hinesmj macrumors 6502

Unrelated - But GREAT avatar!!!

6. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

No, you would use your cars XM that you would have a subscription for. The app is for people that have the steaming added on to their normal package or pay for streaming only.

7. woogy12 macrumors member

Excited to try this out in my car. This would mean I would not have to exit Car Play to change the channel.

8. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Holy cow I thought this would NEVER come.

9. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

That's what I'm thinking as well, but I think people would also like to control their car's XM antenna from inside CarPlay without having to stream and burn data if your car has that ability. Sounds like this isn't it.

10. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

SiriusXM is a joke.

They drastically overcharge for their service especially in the era of unlimited data and streaming services. Want to access the Sirius XM steaming service? You’ll have to pay more.

Want to pause your service if you are going to be out of service area for a long time? Want to cancel your service? You’ll actually have to *call in* and be harangued by them with “special offers” that expire after six mo tha or so and then revert to their normal pricing. Yep. You have to call in and talk to a sales agent.

Ridiculous dinosaur company and service.

11. rrm74001 macrumors 6502

rrm74001

12. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

I get what you are saying but Carplay is running separately by design on whatever radio you have so that would be hard to do.

13. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I had XM before they merged and liked it originally but it’s overpriced junk now. I called in to cancel and they keep offering deals to try and keep you. Told him even if they gave it to me for free I’d still want to cancel it.

This past weekend I had a rental that had XM and wow does the actual quality sound like garbage. The music itself is okay to a degree but when they talk between songs the quality is so tiny it’s actual painful to listen to.

This company needs to die.

14. anzio macrumors 6502

Well there’s API’s to control car systems like climate control with Siri, and send information to vehicle instrument clusters. Hopefully some will arrive to be able to control native vehicle radio functions too.

Of course, then it’s up to the manufacturers to implement these new API’s.

Side note: wonder if this will arrive for the Canadian app. I like some of the specialty channels not available on the radio.

15. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Very true

16. FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

Great! Now please bring google map too! :p

17. SeminalSage macrumors member

SeminalSage

Reading the rest of the posts here, I thought I was the only one who disliked this company. I have no use for them. Granted, my commute is short and I'm rarely in my car for more than 30-60 minutes at a time, but it's their telemarketer like attitude that bothers me. I've received the free trial subscription in the last three cars I've bought and have literally never used it once. But, I will get call after call after letter after letter telling me to renew or whatever.

I'm sure lots of folks like this service, and I'm glad it is there for them. But if this company was a woman, I'd file a restraining order.

18. mlody macrumors 6502a

... and if you are lucky to cancel the servcie, expect to get a call from their sales team like once a month!

19. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Hah! And letters. And emails. And more emails. And more emails. Forget about unsubscribing. It doesn’t work. Just create a filter and delete everything from Sirius.

20. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

^^^ This! Horrible^N.

Run by crooks with high-pressure sales tactics.

Shame on Audi to latch my Q5 to those crooks.

21. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

I cancelled Sirius XM earlier this year. Woman on the phone, "Why are you cancelling the service sir?" My response, "I get unlimited data with T-Mobile and I use Apple Music for my music needs now."

Her reply, "I've never heard of Apple Music."

-__- They're so blind they don't even see their own demise coming for them.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Had SiriusXM in my 2017 Santa Fe for the year I owned it (sold it a couple months back). Trial for 3 months and then I subscribed only after getting $120 dollars off the price. Ended up paying I think $135 for the year including streaming. I agree with the audio not sounding good. It was OK but Apple Music sounded way better, so did terrestrial radio. It auto canceled when I sold my car and got a refund. Have not heard a peep from them at all. No emails either so I really didn't have a bad experience myself.

23. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I enjoy their wide variety of stations, but I've never had a paid subscription. New FCA (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, etc) vehicles get a complementary one year subscription and since I trade-in every 2-3 years, I just use up the 12 free months and then go without it again until I get my next new car.

24. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Right there with you, but Allroad. SiriusXM not a value add and certainly not a factor in purchasing.

25. MhzDoesMatter macrumors regular

I like Sirius. I've been waiting for this for a while. Now I can listen to Sirius while using Maps navigation through Aux port.