Site bandwidth question

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
1,652
6
State of Denial
In here I said I'd look into getting some space for hosting MacWorld, WWDC, etc. keynotes. I'm almost done with that, but the site owner wants to know how much bandwidth we use per month here so he can get an idea of how much traffic to expect. Arn or any other admin?
 

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
1,267
1
UK
GeeYouEye said:
In here I said I'd look into getting some space for hosting MacWorld, WWDC, etc. keynotes. I'm almost done with that, but the site owner wants to know how much bandwidth we use per month here so he can get an idea of how much traffic to expect. Arn or any other admin?
If you're looking at hosting large files the bandwidth profile will be quite different from a site like macrumors.com, whose bandwidth is virtually entirely from small images and HTML. I vaguely remember 300GB/month being a figure for macrumors.com in the past, but as i say, that is virtually meaningless for a keynote site.

I run a site which hosts a few videos and mp3s (in the region of 100MB per file). The bandwidth used has essentially a single key factor - where your site is linked from. Most of the time my site transfers roughly 2-4GB/day from regular visitors, however when it is linked from another popular site (livesets.com) that increases to 15-20GB/day.

Lets say you have 5 keynote broadcasts, each of which being roughly 100MB and that visitors download 3 of them on average. With 10,000 visitors per month that would give 3TB/month bandwidth. Given the size of the mac community, and how quickly popular links get passed around, you could easily use 100x that bandwidth.

Your only option is to use BitTorrent for the videos I think, which would mean you only had the seeding bandwidth to cope with and not the whole thing.
 
Comment

fox2005

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
88
0
Lima, Peru
Knox said:
If you're looking at hosting large files the bandwidth profile will be quite different from a site like macrumors.com, whose bandwidth is virtually entirely from small images and HTML. I vaguely remember 300GB/month being a figure for macrumors.com in the past, but as i say, that is virtually meaningless for a keynote site.

I run a site which hosts a few videos and mp3s (in the region of 100MB per file). The bandwidth used has essentially a single key factor - where your site is linked from. Most of the time my site transfers roughly 2-4GB/day from regular visitors, however when it is linked from another popular site (livesets.com) that increases to 15-20GB/day.

Lets say you have 5 keynote broadcasts, each of which being roughly 100MB and that visitors download 3 of them on average. With 10,000 visitors per month that would give 3TB/month bandwidth. Given the size of the mac community, and how quickly popular links get passed around, you could easily use 100x that bandwidth.

Your only option is to use BitTorrent for the videos I think, which would mean you only had the seeding bandwidth to cope with and not the whole thing.

What hosting doy you use?
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,680
2,092
GeeYouEye said:
In here I said I'd look into getting some space for hosting MacWorld, WWDC, etc. keynotes. I'm almost done with that, but the site owner wants to know how much bandwidth we use per month here so he can get an idea of how much traffic to expect. Arn or any other admin?
ya... for hosting those movies... we're talking tons of bandwidth. MacRumors front page alone is probably in the 600GB/month range. and that's just html and a few small images. I haven't checked the numbers lately... but it's been growing.

I wouldn't mind seeding them if they weren't copyright issues with it... but I think apple would take issue if a site like macrumors officially hosted them.

arn
 
Comment

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
1,652
6
State of Denial
arn said:
ya... for hosting those movies... we're talking tons of bandwidth. MacRumors front page alone is probably in the 600GB/month range. and that's just html and a few small images. I haven't checked the numbers lately... but it's been growing.

I wouldn't mind seeding them if they weren't copyright issues with it... but I think apple would take issue if a site like macrumors officially hosted them.

arn
Okay, wow, I had no idea it was that much.
 
Comment

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
arn said:
MacRumors front page alone is probably in the 600GB/month range.
I pledge to not refresh MacRumors every 10 minutes on Tuesday or before product releases. Every 20 minutes is more economical. :rolleyes:
 
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
37,736
3,844
Los Angeles
Mechcozmo said:
I pledge to not refresh MacRumors every 10 minutes on Tuesday or before product releases. Every 20 minutes is more economical. :rolleyes:
minutes? Checking every 10 minutes makes you a good guy. It's the people who refresh 10 times per second that keep the server on ultraboil. If you only check every 20 minutes, you might be 19 minutes out of date and, for dedicated Mac geeks, that could be hard to stomach.
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,680
2,092
next keynote... we have some planned improvements in our keynote coverage.... if things go as planned, web updates should be smoother... hopefully we won't hit peak capacity like we have in the past.

arn
 
Comment

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Doctor Q said:
If you only check every 20 minutes, you might be 19 minutes out of date and, for dedicated Mac geeks, that could be hard to stomach.
That's why god gave us emotional support groups... purely internet based, of course.

arn said:
next keynote... we have some planned improvements in our keynote coverage.... if things go as planned, web updates should be smoother... hopefully we won't hit peak capacity like we have in the past.
Heh. Random thought while reading this: "Everyone, mirror the server and start posting your IPs! If we stick together, we may survive this yet!"

On second read/thought, it isn't too funny. Oh well.

oaklandbum said:
People need to learn to be patient... and to use the rss feed.
Ah but for that you need Safari RSS in Tiger and to get Tiger you need to check MacRumors and to check MacRumors you need a web-browser (like Safari RSS). See? I'd use Firefox but I like Safari more. :)
 
Comment

Similar threads

  • arn
95
Replies
95
Views
9K
  • retta283
1
Replies
1
Views
700
  • retta283
2
Replies
2
Views
527
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.