Site downloading "current.dms" file

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tobefirst, Jun 24, 2019.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've clicked on a few links this morning in the Site and Forum Feedback forum and each time, a file called current.dms was downloaded. The file size is 1 byte.

This isn't happening on other websites, just MR.

Any idea what is going on?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hmm. no clue. What browser? Still happening?

arn

3. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Any way you can show us a screenshot of the threads/posts containing the links?

4. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Thanks for the responses and I apologize for my delay in following up. It hasn't happened since Monday. I surf from the main site page, and was happening on a few (perhaps all) of the links that were in the sidebar that day. I would click on the number next to the thread title to jump to unread posts in that thread and the file would be downloaded. A couple of the threads I would have visited include

[Merged] Interest in an iPhone or iPad App for MacRumors.com
    Definitive MacRumors Forum Rank List (Includes 'Secret' Ranks!)
    Is there a posting delay for new members?

I can email the file that was downloaded if you'd like to have a look at it. Malwarebytes didn't find anything on my system after the download. I obviously haven't opened the file.

5. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Strange, the threads you've linked aren't working but I know the threads still exist.

Let us know if it comes up again and we can try to get on the problem quicker.

6. Zenithal macrumors G3

Looked it up in an old thread Arnold posted in it was a bad ad. Bad as in badly served not baddies bad. I've never seen this myself, but on the PC side it's usually an empty octet stream file which is annoying. Sometimes browser bugs screw up HTTP requests and get served a bad file, too.

My Mac usage rarely involves browsing.