site is acting really slow

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by motulist, Apr 29, 2011.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

MacRumors has always been very fast, delivering every requested page in a short amount of time. But over the past couple of days the site has slowed WAY down. Sometimes the pages will load just as fast as always, but then suddenly it'll be REALLY slow, taking like 30 to 120 seconds to fully load a page. I'm pretty certain that it's not being caused by my computer or internet connection, because I'm not seeing this new delay at any other sites I visit.

What's up wit dat?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

What geographical location are you in?

Also, if you are running Safari, you can open the Activity window and see what file it's getting hung up on. On the right, it should say "Waiting" or something like that

If it turns out to be an adnetwork, we are working on improving the load time for those with some changes.

Attached Files:

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

I'm in Wisconsin at the moment. I didn't notice it when I was back in New York a couple of weeks ago.

I'll do that next time I notice the problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

The front page was down for a couple of minutes today. It wouldn't load at all for a minute or two.

Attached Files:

• mr1.png
      mr1.png
      File size:
      87.4 KB
      Views:
    • mr2.png
      mr2.png
      File size:
      115.8 KB
      Views:
  6. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

And just now the site took a minute or two to fully load these pages.

Attached Files:

• mr3.png
      mr3.png
      File size:
      310.4 KB
      Views:
  7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

thanks. I'm looking into this. If it happens again with a different domain, please let me know.

arn

8. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Will do. FYI, in case you didn't notice it in the attached screenshots, DownForEveryone said that macrumors.com was down for them also at that time.

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

On the front page, I had a spinning beachball for a few minutes and could not exit. Doing the software update which included Safari and Java seemed to solve this problem, but I'm not sure if that was the cause.

10. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Thanks for the input, but that's not the issue here. My computer was running perfectly, no beachballs, and I was still able to perfectly contact and load every other site at that time, and DownForEveryone said that the site was down for them too.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We were experiencing some sluggishness yesterday and briefly took the front page down in order to reboot the server right at the time you reported the downtime. That seemed to have perked things up, but obviously we want to avoid having to reboot things. :)

12. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

THE server? You mean the entire MacRumors site is run off of a single server? Color me impressed.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, no...I believe there are at least five servers behind MacRumors. But we restarted the front page one that was bogging down.