Site loading slowly?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by faintember, Apr 20, 2007.

1. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Just wondering if anyone had noticed MR loading slowly or if it is my wireless router. I can load 2-3 other webpages in the time it takes for one MR page to open. Running 10.4.9 here and browsing with Safari.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is this just now, or over the past few days? I've been getting a bit of lag over the last few days, FWIW.

3. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

I remember it a bit yesterday as well, but today seems a bit worse in my experience. Safari always seems to "hang" with one more item left to complete loading (for example, the status bar says 5 of 6 completed).

Not really complaining, just curious if it is a MR thing or my router dying on me thing.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are you talking about the forums or the main news page?

See this thread for a similar report and instructions on identifying the URL of the slow-to-load item(s).

5. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

Just the forums (I keep forums.macrumors.com as my bookmark).

Thanks for the link to the other thread, and my apologies for not doing a search before posting (which is normally a peeve of mine). I will keep my activity window open and look for issues though the site does seem much faster currently.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'm not sure what the speed issue has been but I've run into some odd things at times to.

I've done some tweaking to things of the past few days to see if it makes a difference.

let me know if it's still a problem

arn

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If the site is very slow, that's a good excuse for avoiding a forum search you would normally have done!

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It might be ad-related. At work on the DSL connection and at home on cable (Safari, 10.4.9 on both) I often get slow-loading pages that when I choose to stop loading before they've finished seem to not be displaying the header or footer ads - the page gets truncated right after the last post, too.

Dunno if that helps narrow things down any...

9. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I wanted to ask this very same question about a week ago, but I didn't because the slow lag time/no response I was seeing seems to have disappeared in the last couple of days.

I guess arn did fix something, maybe not everything?

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I haven't had a problem for a while... but I did have some very slow loading ads here at MR (ironically, going from demi to mod brought all those ads back ;)), and I had to make myself a *.as-us.falkag.* filter to block that particular ad provider. After that, everything has run smoothly (most of the time).

11. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

Well, since my original post things have been a bit more smooth with nothing out of the ordinary showing up in the activity window. I'll try to pay attention to the particular ads that load when I experience slow loading.

Maybe when I installed the recent security update it fixed things.:p