Situation, Want a New Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by longball11, Feb 8, 2009.

1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Hi, I am a junior in college. I have two laptops, one is 3 years old and it's showing its age. The other is a macbook that clocks at 2.4 ghz, 2 gb of RAM. It is a black macbook. I am just not sure if it will last all that long (bought 2007). I am thinking of getting an iMac, Macbook (aluminum), or a Macbook Pro. I usually only do Web surfing, Music (iTunes), Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and stuff for school. I have not used portability very much with this heavy Dell but I do so with my Macbook because it is lighter. I plan to get one of the three products during the summer.
    Any changes coming in the summer?
    I may run on a tight budget. I may finish junior year with 500-1000$. I can build on it with a job during the summer but would like plenty of leftover for the senior year of college.
    You're welcome to tell me what's best for me in this situation. Should I NOT buy a new computer and replace my 3 year old Dell with my black macbook? I would like something that would last long. Would that matter between iMac and a fully spec'd laptop? -Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you're a junior in college and bought the MB in 2007, I would think you could get another year out of it. I'm still using a MB from late 2006 without any trouble. Unless you're fining that the MB just isn't getting the job done right now, I'd look at either selling or mothballing the Dell and using just the one laptop.

Perhaps the last semester before you graduate you could buy a new iMac or MBP using your student discount. Right now, especially with your limited budget, you might be best to stand pat for a while.

Just one opinion :)

3. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Going from a 2.4ghz MacBook from 2007 to any new MacBook is not going to give you an real world speed difference doing the things you mentioned. Save your money and don't upgrade for a year or two. By then there will be something worth spending the money to upgrade to.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Just stick with the Macbook. I am still using an iBook for those things you mentioned. lol

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:eek: My first-gen BlackBook handles everything university can through at it with grace and aplomb. There's absolutely no reason to upgrade, especially if you're worried about the cost.

I would love a new computer, and if my summer job pans out, I might buy one. Not because I need one, but because I'm getting into video editing and the new Mini (hopefully it has Firewire!) or new iMac will do that better than my older MB.

But for Office, internet, and iTunes? No worries. Keep your MacBook. :)

6. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Heh. I was thinking of just sticking with my 1 year old Macbook. Which happens to be, Demos, a black Macbook :p. Thanks ya'll.

7. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Another question, Universities aren't having problems with someone using a Mac are they? I may go to Graduate school, is that when I should get a new one?

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

That would depend on the school, but I've never had any problems using my MacBook at school (although in order to reset your school password you have to be using Internet Explorer, but webmail and PeopleSoft work fine). I have no problem accessing their wireless networks.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I've had no trouble with my Mac at Uni. I'd say about 60% of the laptops I see around campus are Macs, too. Only negative thing about the experience was that it took them a while to add wireless printing support for Macs in the libraries, but otherwise, no issues.

Some Profs are still dicks and use Windows-only software, but with Parallels and/or Bootcamp, even that's a non-issue these days.

As for grad school... it's certainly a good excuse to buy a new computer. Whether or not you'd need one is another question. ;)

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is excellent advice and I agree completely. If it were me, I'd hold on to my MacBook and money. In fact, I might try and sell the Dell to add to your cash reserve.

11. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Your Macbook is fine. It will last your 3 years if you take care of it. The worst that could happen is that your hard drive might fail after these three years, since the laptop is well into into his second year.

If you don't play games, you'll see almost no difference. For what you're doing, it's just fine. A Macbook Pro would be overkill and harder to move and an iMac would kill your portability.

12. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Yeah I am in one of the classes where we have to use a clicker for attendance in WebCT and safari cant access that part of WebCT.
    I am like hooked on new technology and always like new stuff so I am trying to think im only infatuated with the new macbooks and I would move on hopefully.

13. waffle911 macrumors regular

I'm still using an early '07 Mac Book for high school, I'm only going to be upgrading to a new MBP when I set off for college, because of the student discount and the fact that I'm going to be majoring in engineering and need something that'll reliably run autoCAD with reasonable performance. Otherwise, I'd just get a regular new Mac Book if only because this old one still uses the incompetent Intel GMA 950 graphics chip and can't watch video without overheating with the fan at 6500RPM. Can't play a simple 2D game (albeit a rather complex one) for more than 15min. before the CPU gets over 80˚C and crashes the whole system. Can't look at product photos on Newegg because the viewer uses a graphics "intensive" Java applet, which causes overheating. But the later ones in '07 had a newer chipset (X3100) that improved upon the older one's weaknesses to a degree.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I fully agree with this. Your current MacBook is good for a long time yet.

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you're MacBook is overheating with the 950, then you have a problem. My MacBook with the same graphics chip can run YouTube or play Call of Duty 4 for hours without a hiccup. Yeah, the fans jump up to full blast, but it's certainly not crashing the system.

Have you done all of the firmware upgrades? The early MacBooks did have some trouble with overheating - mine used to every time I put it to sleep and put it in my bag - but the firmware update solved that problem straight away.

There's no way watching movies or viewing photos on Newegg should be crashing a MacBook.

16. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah I would say something out of the ordinary is wrong with your MacBook. My friend can play The Sims 2 in Windows (under Boot Camp) just fine. And I've never had any of the overheating issues when just viewing pictures.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Keep the MB - it'll be good for a while yet, sell the Dell if you need a extra cash, and you can consider upgrading the MB in a year or so when more significant changes have come on stream.

Cheers and good luck

18. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

It doesn't sound like you aren't doing any real intensive usage on the computer. Internet, mail, word processing isn't very hard on your macbook and the upgrade wouldn't really be worth it considering those things wouldn't likely speed up. I personally wouldn't even think about it, you have 2 computers both which can probably handle what you are doing just fine. The blackbook should last and its only a year old you said so it will for sure last longer. I plan on getting the full 3 out of my MBP before upgrading and hopefully by then Apple will give me back matte screen options.

19. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

I just looked at my black macbook box and i found out that its 2.2 ghz not 2.4 ghz. It has x3100 graphics, 160 gb sata hd or w/e and 2 gb of ram. Still not much of difference right?

20. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I would think not for your described usages. The biggest change aside from the increase in 0.2 ghz is the use of penryn processor.

21. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

22. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Excellent advice, especially in this economy:rolleyes:

23. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    same as mine, max it out with a 4GB stick from OWC and keep the puppy for 3 more years:cool:

24. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I plan on using my white Core Duo Macbook for my whole university (5 years). I bought my MB the month before college (August 2006), added 2gb of ram, faster hdd(200gb 7200 instead of 80gb 5400) and it still runs wonderfully. I'm running some heavy stuff with it and I'm more than happy : Matlab, Vista (both under Bootcamp and Fusion). I think your laptop is great.

But, you wanted to buy an iMac or MBP... do you need more screen estate ? If so, why don't you buy a nice external LCD to go with your current MB...

Cheer

25. waffle911 macrumors regular

I assume you think I'm using Windows for this. On to the next one...
    I'm still using Tiger. No Boot Camp. The Newegg product viewing gallery uses some bizarre Java or flash setup that actually expects help from the GPU to function. And in all fairness, why shouldn't it?

Oh, and when I say "simple 2D game", I mean GameBoy emulator—hence, although simple, it is extraordinarily inefficient. Trying to play Eve Online using the Mac client (which uses Cider) also produces predictable results: framerates as low as .3 FPS.

Vut I dont feel like investing any money into Leopard for this MacBook if I'm not going to be using it within the year and I have an older PC that does everything the Mac won't without Windows.