Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
So according to Mac Rumors, Apple seems sure to increase the size of the 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max to 6.3 and 6.85 inches, respectively, with each becoming heavier as a result.

I'm trying to understand why. Isn't there a point at which the phones are simply too large (and heavy) to carry comfortably? What is "too small" about the current crop of phones? Are users actually clamoring for larger phones? No one I know wishes the iPhone Pro models were larger. Quite a few wish they were lighter.

Why do you think Apple is planning to do this?

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I boldly predict, regardless of the size, they will sell by the great big giant boatload and uphold the iPhone gravy train for Apple. And the obsessive, unyielding need to micro-analyze the failure of notably smaller phones will remain as insufferable as ever.

It’s not always about meeting wants or needs. In fact in modern product design it rarely is. Often, it’s about moulding perception that something is better by subtly changing its physical characteristics. Larger works. Smaller did not. It’s just not that complicated.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I honestly don't know. The 11 Pro Max was already big enough for me. I upgraded to a 15 Pro Max, which is slightly bigger, and it's *almost* to the point of being too big. If they keep subtly bumping up the size, by my next upgrade I'll probably end up buying a non-Max and end up with a phone the same size my 11 Pro Max was!

Of course, this sucks for people who prefer the non-Max already, they don't have a smaller phone to fall back to.

I think Apple should stop increasing the size. I have large hands and the 15 Pro Max already feels at the "limit" for a phone I can use and carry comfortably.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I think my 15pro max is the perfect size. The only time I would consider a larger phone now is if it were a foldable.

Reactions: janeauburn

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Most mid-range Android devices start at 6.7 inches. The premium devices are 6.8 inches or larger, not including foldables. Apple is actually behind when it comes to display size. Consumers simply want more display to accommodate more screen time.

Reactions: d.o.p.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
For me the size is fine, it's the weight. The titanium in the 15 pro / 15 pro max helps but it's still heavier than I would want in a phone. The 15 and 15 plus are better for sure. But, a lot of people think that heavy = premium. It would be nice if Apple would give people a choice, make the same internal components but give the option of aluminum, stainless steel, or titanium. Similar to what they do with the watch.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Everyone has different needs and tastes. I have a 13 pro max and it is a great size. My measure - not weight but if it fits in a typical shirt pocket. So far, 13 pro max does. I'll be happy with the width and okay if it is taller.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
15 pro max is on the very tippy top of size for me. And that's with me deciding to use it with no case. Any larger and I'll probably go back to the Pro, which I was perfectly fine with.

mainelyme

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2017
I'm guessing it's for a couple different reasons, both of which have been suggested here before.

One, Apple is depending on services for overall revenue growth, so they are incentivized to increase engagement in a way that they never were before. Bigger phones with brighter screens probably translate to higher screen time and more subscriptions to TV+, iCloud storage, Arcade, News+, and third party apps and services, from which they take a generous cut.

Second, there is still a lot of growth potential outside of North America and Europe, and they have surely noticed that people in those markets strongly prefer larger phones, since smartphones are their "everything" devices, whereas we here spread our usage across laptops and tablets as well.

None of this is good for me, so I'll stick with my SE for as long as I'm able. Good for society? I don't think so, and I don't think the executives at Apple thought so before, but they're a public company and beholden to shareholders who, as a collective, don't care.

Reactions: timeconsumer

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
So according to Mac Rumors, Apple seems sure to increase the size of the 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max to 6.3 and 6.85 inches, respectively, with each becoming heavier as a result.

I'm trying to understand why. Isn't there a point at which the phones are simply too large (and heavy) to carry comfortably? What is "too small" about the current crop of phones? Are users actually clamoring for larger phones? No one I know wishes the iPhone Pro models were larger. Quite a few wish they were lighter.

Why do you think Apple is planning to do this?
people want bigger displays.
display size increase may or may not result in larger phone size
they might add new/upgraded components that require more space

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I agree. I reluctantly upgraded to my regular 15 Pro from my 13 mini when I realized Apple's probably not bringing back their best-sized phone ever anytime soon. It's ok, definitely better than my 11 thanks to the flat edges and slightly smaller exterior dimensions. I think the regular phone and the Pro should be shrinking as tech improves and we can fit the same tech in smaller phones, while the Plus and Max can grow as large as they want - I'm never buying either anyway so what do I care?

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I secretly hope they will drop numbers from iPhone name and introduce one more size:

iPhone (2024 5,8 inch)
iPhone (2024 6,3 inch)
iPhone (2024 6,85 inch)

This way iPhone could start for a bit less bringing new users to the ecosystem.

Or alternatively 5,8 could start where 6,1 starts now and bigger models would be more expensive.

Either way 5,8 wouldn’t be “mini” in terms of size or naming. I think Mini failed because it was called mini. Last time they did this successfully was giving Xr (new “regular” iPhone) new name “11”. So instead having “inferior” iPhone Xr and normal Xs they made normal 11 and premium 11 Pro. People are ok buying regular but less ok buying cheap (5C), inferior (Xr, Mini).

If they release only 6,3 and 6,85 I will be truly disappointed because 6,1 is already pushing it for me.

Reactions: timeconsumer

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I secretly hope they will drop numbers from iPhone name and introduce one more size:

iPhone (2024 5,8 inch)
iPhone (2024 6,3 inch)
iPhone (2024 6,85 inch)

This way iPhone could start for a bit less bringing new users to the ecosystem.

Or alternatively 5,8 could start where 6,1 starts now and bigger models would be more expensive.

Either way 5,8 wouldn’t be “mini” in terms of size or naming. I think Mini failed because it was called mini. Last time they did this successfully was giving Xr (new “regular” iPhone) new name “11”. So instead having “inferior” iPhone Xr and normal Xs they made normal 11 and premium 11 Pro. People are ok buying regular but less ok buying cheap (5C), inferior (Xr, Mini).

If they release only 6,3 and 6,85 I will be truly disappointed because 6,1 is already pushing it for me.

If people want a cheaper iPhone, they can buy a new iPhone 13 or SE.

The iPhone XR was the world’s best selling smartphone in 2019, so the name doesn’t hinder anything. Besides, you have devices like iPad mini selling well.

Consumers care about the device form factor and features rather than name.

Reactions: Timpetus

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Everyone has different needs and tastes. I have a 13 pro max and it is a great size. My measure - not weight but if it fits in a typical shirt pocket. So far, 13 pro max does. I'll be happy with the width and okay if it is taller.
I sure wish Apple would meet my needs and tastes, with a new mini (which always felt like the standard phone size to me)

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
If people want a cheaper iPhone, they can buy a new iPhone 13 or SE.

The iPhone XR was the world’s best selling smartphone in 2019, so the name doesn’t hinder anything. Besides, you have devices like iPad mini selling well.

Consumers care about the device form factor and features rather than name.
Then why iPhone 11 (regular non-pro model) sold better than the iPhone XR?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.