Skateboarding

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,681
665
Colly-fornia
Used to... skated the Santa Cruz area back in the mid-to-late 80's and early '90s. Met several of the big names from back then. Built more than one half-pipe too.

Got lots of scars to show for it. :)
 

XNine

macrumors 68040
I used to as well. Street was my style back in the mid-late 90's. In fact, the few crews that were around here in Denver were the ones responsible for all of the NO SKATEBOARDING signs everywhere now. Back then we'd have to run from the cops, fight gang bangers, and jump lots of fences.

I hit one kid in the forehead with my trucks when I was fourteen. He was a few years older, came talking crap, pushed me a little, and when he looked back to get approval from his friends, I smacked him as hard as I could. He just fell. The rest of his boys backed off when the rest of my buddies came hauling ass over. Carrie their friend back to their car. Thugs...

Man I miss those times. My personal favorite trick was half-cab heel-flip to grind (5-0 or 50-50). Loved doing that. I'd probably break my neck now...

My favorite decks were "Girl" and favorite trucks were Independants. They were heavy but could take a long, long beating. Very well built. Wheels would be anything that was 50 mm. My favorite skaters were Heath Kirchart and Chad Muska.
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,681
665
Colly-fornia
Heh, and guess what I was doing earlier today? Calling out and detailing anti-skateboard bolts for the concrete benches I'm putting in for a new school construction project I've got going on.

Got to keep those rotten punks from damaging school property you know...

:D
 

XNine

macrumors 68040
mactastic said:
Heh, and guess what I was doing earlier today? Calling out and detailing anti-skateboard bolts for the concrete benches I'm putting in for a new school construction project I've got going on.

Got to keep those rotten punks from damaging school property you know...

:D
Heh, you conformist old-man bastard! :D

Funny how roles reverse in life, isn't it?
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,681
665
Colly-fornia
Onizuka said:
Heh, you conformist old-man bastard! :D

Funny how roles reverse in life, isn't it?
I know, I suck don't I? 15 years ago I would have been out there chiseling these things out of the concrete...

:p
 

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
muffinman said:
I skate a lot. I mostly longboard with my sector 9s. carving down a long windy road is so satisfying
Ditto.

It keeps me sane in land-locked Ohio when I can't surf.

I've got a Supercruiser deck, Randall 180s, Swiss Bones bearings, and 76mm wheels.

The thing flies...

:)
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
I'm not a skateboarder, but this thread was timely because about the time it was started I was boarding a plane from SF to Seattle onto which someone brought their skateboard.

Now, I don't know anything about skateboards other than I'd likely kill myself if I tried to use one, but I've never seen anyone carry one on a plane like this. Just interesting. Didn't do any tricks while on the plane or anything, but she did get to baggage claim much faster than I did. :p
 

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
Do you know how big it was?

I was thinking about doing the same thing and just skating around airports to get to my connections.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
job said:
Do you know how big it was?

I was thinking about doing the same thing and just skating around airports to get to my connections.
I'd say it was probably about 30 inches or so, just rough guess. Does this seem about right? It seemed pretty nice, so I could see why she didn't check it.

As for skating between connections, that might be frowned upon, although it would be fun to see someone take a ride down the escalator grips. I was being a little facetious about her getting to baggage claim before me, especially since you have to take a tram in Seattle... ;)
 

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
emw said:
As for skating between connections, that might be frowned upon, although it would be fun to see someone take a ride down the escalator grips. I was being a little facetious about her getting to baggage claim before me, especially since you have to take a tram in Seattle... ;)
Haha gotcha. :)

I've actually seen video of a guy clearing an escalator...it's unreal. Shame I lost the link.
 

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
992
0
I'm not a skateboarder personally, but I think that it's cool and I wear skater clothes sometimes, because I really like them.
Does that make me a fake? :eek: :cool:
 

XNine

macrumors 68040
amateurmacfreak said:
I'm not a skateboarder personally, but I think that it's cool and I wear skater clothes sometimes, because I really like them.
Does that make me a fake? :eek: :cool:
Yes. But as long as you don't claim to be a skater. It's like that little slut Avril Lavegne. I want to beat her head in with a bat. "I'm a skater girl, tee hee." YOU AIN'T ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need to start meditating.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
amateurmacfreak said:
I wear skater clothes
Warning: I'm old and out of touch. What are "skater clothes"? I'm assuming you don't mean the pads... ;)

Onizuka said:
I really need to start meditating.
Nah, just wear the robes. :p
 

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
emw said:
Warning: I'm old and out of touch. What are "skater clothes"? I'm assuming you don't mean the pads... ;)
I'm guessing t-shirts from skating companies, shoes, pants, etc.
 

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
I used to skate a lot but that was many years ago....pools,drainage ditches and some of the early skateparks. Every once in awhile I'll grab one of my boards out of the garage and skate while my kids ride their scooters.

I'm truly amazed at what some the street skaters are doing though I'm an old-school "carver" myself.

Anyone else remember Logan Earth ski's, Zorlac boards or those beautiful G&S fiberglass sticks?
 

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
1,338
0
Connecticut
I used to skate like crazy in the late 80's & early 90's. I was an east coaster, growing up in Connecticut.

I skated with current pro Jim Greco on a number of occasions back when he was a little kid. Based on some recent video footage I've seen, he's pretty sick nowadays.

I was pretty good back then, but on the rare occasion I step on a board nowadays, it's just ugly. :)
 

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
quigleybc said:
My skateboarding days ended after I was going down a really steep hill, my board started to wobble, I got nervous, jumped off, and my momentum carried me head first into a parked car.........
Oh geeze. How bad was it? I've had my fair share of crashes bombing hills...
 

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
19,797
4
Siderits said:
I'm wondering if any1 here skateboards? :cool:

I used to, stopped about 8 years ago due to knackered joints!

I still have my last set up.
8.5" Santa Cruz mini logo, wide Independent trucks and 56mm Bullet wheels.

Most of my mates still skate and one of my best mates owns the local skateshop.
I've become the default IT guy for most of the as they have Macs too.
I still have the battered 17" PowerBook I sorted on the weekend as the owner is away
doing more dumb stuff.
 

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
2,064
6
Location: Location:
Onizuka said:
Yes. But as long as you don't claim to be a skater. It's like that little slut Avril Lavegne. I want to beat her head in with a bat. "I'm a skater girl, tee hee." YOU AIN'T ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need to start meditating.
NOT TRUE!

Stop making things up about Avril!

She is not little!