Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I really wish they'd just make the device slightly thicker and fill that extra space with more battery capacity. I don't want the "same great battery life", I want an extra 2 hours on top of what I get now.

Or an extra 4 hours if you take into account the 2 hour drop I get in battery life on the most recent iOS 9 beta.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I like the box if it's true. However, I find it a little weird that the front facing camera & light/proximity sensor are absent from the image of the phone. Isn't that kind of like falsely advertising the phone has no front camera?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I really wish they'd just make the device slightly thicker and fill that extra space with more battery capacity. I don't want the "same great battery life", I want an extra 2 hours on top of what I get now.

Or an extra 4 hours if you take into account the 2 hour drop I get in battery life on the most recent iOS 9 beta.
I was in this camp until the plus came out. As much as I love it and couldn't give it up it is admittedly a little unwieldy. Making it thicker wouldn't help. I also really like my case and want to keep it another year lol.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I believe it's fake, look at the top of the phone image... only speaker and no camera/sensors? sorry but everytime apple put a real phone image in the boxes they are 100% replica of the real phone...

good catch. now i don't even believe in golden beta fishes anymore.

if you take into account the 2 hour drop I get in battery life on the most recent iOS 9 beta.

don't do that - it's beta ;)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I like the box if it's true. However, I find it a little weird that the front facing camera & light/proximity sensor are absent from the image of the phone. Isn't that kind of like falsely advertising the phone has no front camera?
Then"image" of the phone just looks like the current box to me where it's a raised silhouette of the phone itself. Then there's that fish flower thing they slapped on top.

Nope. I'm wrong. Better eye than me loll.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I was in this camp until the plus came out. As much as I love it and couldn't give it up it is admittedly a little unwieldy. Making it thicker wouldn't help. I also really like my case and want to keep it another year lol.

Are you sure? I thought Apple introduced a new battery technology that stacked the cells to take advantage of volume in addition to area. Or perhaps that was only in the MacBook Air.

Reactions: scapegoat81

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
If they deliver on their website claim for "up to 1 hr" more battery life going to the GM from the latest beta, I will eat my hat.

why? they're under deadline for Nike Fuelband or some crap - there's absolutely zero reason to cater to Joe Blow the Construction Worker's iPhone and his battery life Emailing Relatives in Boise Idaho. ever spent time with a development team?

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I believe it's fake, look at the top of the phone image... only speaker and no camera/sensors? sorry but everytime apple put a real phone image in the boxes they are 100% replica of the real phone...

Probably Apple finally find a way to hide the front camera.

10110-2167-patent-140807-l.png

10110-2166-Screen-Shot-2014-08-07-at-94215-AM-l.png

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-facetime-camera-flash-inside-earpiece-grille

Last edited:

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
The grainier the photo, the more 'undercover covert cred' they get.

Pretty sure I could make one of these up on Photoshop and then photograph it with an iPhone 3G and it'd come out relatively similar.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
cause every component occupying every square micro-meter has physical dimensions and attributes that can be adjusted in order to produce what Apple believes to be the best phone offered at the moment? everything requires tradeoffs, and that usually means e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e in the 'i personally ABHOR the tradeoffs [X] makes' camp seem to be the most vocal demographic in the known universe?

you mean like every day of your life including this very moment?

I'd like you to follow up tomorrow and let the rest of us know about the substantial gains that were made from today.

Reactions: alvindarkness

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Not that it's my style - but it's a good time for Apple to sell a black and gold version, to match the watch and retina MacBook.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenny allen

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
YES! Smaller battery, but better efficiency even though the phone might slightly be bigger!
So I can get same or less battery life than the previous version.
They always get it right what I wanted the most. :)
Well not necessarily. You could get the same, worse or better battery life depending on what they've actually done.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Because this is Apple. By putting a smaller battery in it, they already got you wanting to upgrade your new phone to next year's model. Planned obsolescence 101.

Not necessarily true. I'm still on an iPhone 4 and the battery lasts all day. How many years ago did it come out? Oh yah... 5 years.. June 24, 2010. :)

Reactions: Substance90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.