Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
I'm surprised, plastic? Can't they use Gorilla Glass, not to mention they can now be moulded to 3D shapes.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
There's only one thing that needs to be said, THANK YOU SAMSUNG for leading the innovation of OLED technology. This in turn has allowed other OEMs, especially the ones that don't invent anything, to bring new products to the market.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
So is it going to be a curved display or really a flexible display? Because most of the time, when people say "flexible", they actually mean "curved", and I very strongly suspect that this will be a curved display.

I would have thought that the difference would be obvious, but the English language seems to be quite difficult at times.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Looking at the original patent, one thing that interests me about this, is the mention of it being flat when 'unwrapped'. If it could be made relatively stable in this position, you could potentially use it like a wide narrow iPad.

Kind of like a smaller opaque version of this from the movie Red Planet. :)

redplanet.jpg

I'm pretty sure the main character uses a flexible curved touchscreen on his wrist in that movie too, but I couldn't find a screenshot.

Also if you haven't seen LG's real flexible screen, here it is... LG G Flex flexible display

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm surprised, plastic? Can't they use Gorilla Glass, not to mention they can now be moulded to 3D shapes.

You're thinking of willow glass. Gorilla glass was never designed to be flexible, just impact resistant. Willow glass is Cornings flexible option.

----------

I don't like the word Sketchy. Let's use Dodgy instead. Yes, dodgy, it's more refined. More British.

I instictively find that to be more reasonable. :p

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
I'll be interested in the 'flexible' technology...when its truly flexible.

Having a phone/ tablet strapped to the wrist, then being able to take it off and use it is what I'm waiting for.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
OLED ? ok, but will people be able to SEE it with hi-resolution display ?

Maybe an iWatch you can see from all angles too, if people are too clumsy to look at it face on :rolleyes: :p

With OLED not appearing anywhere else, it looks like this is Apple's "first" at OLED-anything...

Well, that says allot. I'll be cracking up laughing if 96% of watched are DOA... due to display issues.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Interesting. That article is one of most detailed "sketchy" articles I've read. It states exactly which plant LG will use for manufacturing and how many they'll initially produce monthly, how many panels they'll be using for production and what technology is being used. Moreover the article has now been taken off! I have a feeling this could've been a deliberate leak on one of LG executives to gauge the movement in the LGDisplay share price and the public reaction.

There have been some accurate leaks from Korea including the one I've seen about the iPhone 5c which was 100% accurate and that makes sense since some of the largest suppliers are in the country. Imagine, if we can see this sort of detailed leaks out in public, what Samsung or LG can gather up through their connections in the country. They probably have already gathered up enough intelligence on the general form factor of the iWatch by now to ready their potential competitor in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.