Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I don't know why they have to give each model a unique name. They don't do it with their computers, so why not just call it the iPad - available in 3 screen sizes. Sounds better than the iPad, iPad mini and iPad maxi.

A4 size iPad sounds good to me. I bet a lot of people would ditch their laptop for that.

Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
iMac
Mac Pro
Mac Mini?

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
I'm not sure about the name. But the bigger iPad is true. My brother works in one of the Apple suppliers and he told me about it early this year. I said the same thing most people here are saying, ********. But regardless of my 2 cents, the bigger iPad seems like the reality.

What more does this brother of yours say?

Since the iPad is a post PC product, why is there so little discussion about a larger display size? Desktops run up to 27 inches with the iMac, so why stop at 9.7 inches with a tablet? I've been hoping for a size roughly double today's iPad at about 15 inches. Heavy desktop applications and productivity will never move to the iPad if it stays at 9.7". I'm talking about photo editing, CAD and maps, to name a few. Others have mentioned sheet music as another benefit. Today's original iPad is clearly to close to the iPad mini in size, but I'm convinced a larger iPad would actually sell better than the 9.7". A magazine is nice to read because it has a fold with two visible pages. It doesn't matter that you can't read both pages at once, it's the experience of having that content in front of you that's important. It's roughly the difference looking at maps on iPhone vs. iPad, which is worlds apart. A larger iPad would be very useful, so I hope Apple doesn't stop at 13". The iPad and mini are replacing notebooks. Time for a larger iPad to take a swing at desktops, with the iPad lying flat as a keyboard, not as a display.

I have been asking myself the same Q and I believe the answer is that people believe in the hype that smaller tablets, the better. But I believe people are buying the minis because they are cheaper.

The 13" tablet from Toshiba from last year showed us that it could be done, and for professionals a 12.9" iPad would be a dream device.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Funny how we are all expecting a slimmer, trimmer 9.7" model yet there's talk of a larger one.

It might happen yes but it won't be as popular as the mini or the full size one.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
This is the dumbest link bait crap of the day. I can't believe people are falling for this garbage. Use your brains please. This WILL NOT HAPPEN.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Just split a 13" / 15" RMBP, add remaining components behind the screen, forward facing / dual stereo speakers, pressure sensitivity, portrait / landscape docking, micro sim, nfc, biometrics, good cameras front and back, 64/128GB.. ala iPad Pro. $999-$1299

:)

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple's set us up. There's no way to talk about this without being sexist if we use the name.... iPad Maxi.

Oh yeah, I know it's just a rumor but the way Apple's been doing things lately, they could end up making a blunder like this :D

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
13" iPad + pressure-sensitive stylus + fully functional Microsoft OneNote or equivalent = day one purchase. Unfortunately, I doubt the latter two will ever become true.

How about a bigger iPad Pro using Haswell (Core CPUs) running full touch-enabled OS X?

Haswell power consumption likely isn't low enough yet for Apple's needs for such a product, so going x86 would require Atom in the near-term. Broadwell may get there next year, however.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think apple should spend more time trying to make tablet 9.7 believable again after they recked themselve with Ipad mini and gathered smaller margin to go along with smaller tablet.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
A4 size iPad sounds good to me. I bet a lot of people would ditch their laptop for that.

Well, maybe for websurfing or email, as usual. Otherwise, an iPad, regardless of size is just too limited in functionality.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, personally, I don't think this would be such a ludicrous idea *today*. It would have been previously a stupid idea when a larger screen would have meant more weight (today's iPad seems to be about the maximum people want to deal with, and beyond what many prefer in weight), but with the technology that has gone into the mini, and the rumoured same "mini treatment" the full sized iPad is going to get later this year, an even larger screen with a thin chassis like that isn't such a stupid idea. It's not for me probably (I love my mini's form factor), but I can certainly see a thin larger screened iPad appealing to quite a few people, and it would be a gorgeous device (especially if they really can create a lovely form factor for that big screen).

I'm waiting to see the MacBooks start offering detachable screens that double as iPads. OS X plugged in, iOS detached - 11" - 13" - 15" versions.

I think we're moving in the direction of a hybrid iPad/MacBook with iOS/OSX. Maybe as soon as next year.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
iMac
Mac Pro
Mac Mini?

Each of those is the product name - such as "Macbook Air". They don't then differentiate by screen size, otherwise the 11" model would be called the Macbook Air mini.

The iMac, Mac Pro and Mac mini are NOT three variants of the same product. They are three different products. The iPad and iPad mini are the same product with different screen sizes.

Personally I think the "mini" naming is just stupid and childish but hey that's just my view.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
10 screen is plenty 13 inches is to large to hold

Previously, I believe you are right, but if they can make one that large as thin as the mini (or even thinner in the future), I'm not sure this would be necessarily true. If the weight were no more than today's iPad 4 and yet sported a larger screen, would the size be too unwieldy?? I'm not sure it would.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPad will not kill off a laptop.

While I don't think that a larger iPad is in the works, I will say tablets are killing off laptops. Not entirely, but the industry is seeing a slow down in the consumer segment and they're attributing that they're buying tablets instead of computers.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
"ipad maxi", yeah right!
but the idea is great, people(including me) need bigger ipad, it'd be quite useful.
i hope this concept comes true.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Not the Maxipad! No! Lol

Seriously tho, since tablet & smartphones seem to be overtaking pcs...this is not too far fetched a rumor.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
The tough part about believing this rumor is Apple would have to introduce a new screen resolution for a larger iPad adding work for the developers.

Nah, just keep it the same # of pixels as current iPad. Who's gonna notice or care if it's not retina?

:rolleyes:

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
ETNews.com does not have a particularly solid track record regarding Apple rumors, and is not a frequent rumor source either. Previous incorrect reports have included...
More recently, the site claimed that fingerprint sensor firm AuthenTec had cut off its existing customer base after being acquired by Apple, a development that seems likely amid rumors of Apple deploying fingerprint technology on the iPhone 5S.

After being acquired by Apple, Authentec sold their sensor division to DigitalPersona.

http://authentec.com/Products/TouchChips/SensorsandModules.aspx

http://www.digitalpersona.com/Biometrics/Hardware-Products/TouchChip-Family/TouchChip-Family/

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
As long as this Maxi would have MATTE screen and internal place for pressure sensing stylus (Steve, RIP, but fingerpaints are not so popular among adults), I'd say yes.
Here's an idea: make one line of iOS devices. Comes in these sizes:
-3.5"
-5.5"
-7.5"
-9.5"
-11.5"
-13.5 (maybe)

And come with three configurations at each size:
-Wi-Fi only
-Wifi + Data
-Wifi + Data + Voice

Just merge the iPod Touch, iPhone & iPads into that line. Maybe call it an iTouch or whatever.
Nice streamlining.
I'd pick these sizes 3", 4", 5.5", 7.5", 10.5", 13.5".
I'm waiting to see the MacBooks start offering detachable screens that double as iPads. OS X plugged in, iOS detached - 11" - 13" - 15" versions.
Great idea!
Smaller flash storage on screen (tablet) and bigger Fusion drive.
10 screen is plenty 13 inches is to large to hold
Is paper sheet too big for you to hold? Or magazine?
Yep, you guessed right, it's about weight, not area.

dillybar

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Stay free maxi pads!

Seriously ...

Attachments

• SNL-ESPN-Golf-Pete-Twinkle-Greg-Stink-tampon-jokes.png
    SNL-ESPN-Golf-Pete-Twinkle-Greg-Stink-tampon-jokes.png
    251.6 KB · Views: 78

Alcibar

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
I would buy this in a heart beat as my stay at home iPad. I would pay a substantial premium. Then retina mini as travel iPad. Now I am concerned regarding my planned iPad 5 purchase.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
I would buy this in a heart beat as my stay at home iPad. I would pay a substantial premium. Then retina mini as travel iPad. Now I am concerned regarding my planned iPad 5 purchase.

You will not have any trouble selling it, if you buy the 128G version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.