Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Skins to make the screen bezel black?

Shadnic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
I know there are lots of sites that sell those plastic skins people use to decorate their laptops, but has anyone see a black one to go around the new macbook air screen? I think this thing would look really sharp with a black bezel, and I don't want to risk painting it or anything myself...

I've done a quick google search and not found anything, but I'm also not really familiar with the popular sites and companies people go to for this kind of thing. I know Techrestore has announced a service to replace your air's screen with a matte one and replace the bezel with a black one while they're at it...but right now I'm just looking for an inexpensive, reversible (in case I don't like it) option.

If anyone has such a thing, pictures would be lovely :)

meeksdigital

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Sonoma, CA
I know there are lots of sites that sell those plastic skins people use to decorate their laptops, but has anyone see a black one to go around the new macbook air screen? I think this thing would look really sharp with a black bezel, and I don't want to risk painting it or anything myself...

I've done a quick google search and not found anything, but I'm also not really familiar with the popular sites and companies people go to for this kind of thing. I know Techrestore has announced a service to replace your air's screen with a matte one and replace the bezel with a black one while they're at it...but right now I'm just looking for an inexpensive, reversible (in case I don't like it) option.

If anyone has such a thing, pictures would be lovely :)

Dude, I SO agree! Been wanting a black bezel skin for my 15" MBP since I got it... after using the iPad and iPhone and film production monitors that always have black bezels around the screen, I'm DYING to have a black skin on my MBP bezel. Haven't found any either... I'm considering having some custom-cut out of 3M adhesive vinyl material.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

No one knows if they'll ever produce one for the new MBA though.
http://www.moshimonde.com/products2.asp?UPLF1=5&PDLS1=33

FAsnakes

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
What a great idea.. . Hopefully someone will come out with something like this. I'd definitely be interested.

clarka

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
A very interesting idea. Personally I like the clean aluminum finish, but that would definitely be a way to bring the MBA looks in line with the MBP.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Surprisingly, I checked DecalGirl.com and found that their "Solid State Black" covers only the keyboard and palmrest, as well as the outer lid (including the Apple logo. It does not cover the bezel or the underside of the Air. For $29.99 or $34.99, it's not a bad deal, though.

http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/19250?green=16936056251

In checking the ZAGGskin Designer, it's $59.99 for three pieces - the keyboard and palmrest, the outer lid, and the underside. However, I did get an email stating that they're going 50% site-wide on Cyber Monday, which will beat out DecalGirl's price.

http://www.zagg.com/personalize/zaggskins/design/black.php

It's only fair to mention WrapSol has similar coverage for $44.95, but again, no bezel. Must be tough to do, considering it would be one piece.

http://www.wrapsol.com/en_US/Home+P.../apple/MacBook+Air+11_inch+(current+gen).aspx

I guess we'll have to keep waiting.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Wow it looks SO much better with the black bezel! I've thought it would for a long time too. The silver one just looks... cheap. My MBP with its black bezel looks really classy. Why the heck didn't they make the MBA with it in black???

Rob

yogipatel

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008

jace88

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Looks good but not a fan of the way it covers the words Macbook Air. Might've been better covering it in full rather than trying to leave a gap.

meeksdigital

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Sonoma, CA
I'm gonna ask around and see if I can get something like this plotted out in CAD to have vinyl CNC cut or something like that. Can't be TOO expensive, and I could sell them as well.

ejisfun

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
I highly recommend www.dr-sticker.com for custom cutting vinyl. I've had great experience with them in the past cutting stickers for my Rubik's Cubes.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
FYI

I am working with a vinyl designer here in the states on a black vinyl cut out for my macbook pro HR AG. We discussed over the phone the proper measurements and he already has the design plotted out. We are just waiting for the proper radii tool to cut the corners. Our next step will be getting cut outs for macbook airs.

Will post our results in the next few days if anyone is interested.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
FYI

I am working with a vinyl designer here in the states on a black vinyl cut out for my macbook pro HR AG. We discussed over the phone the proper measurements and he already has the design plotted out. We are just waiting for the proper radii tool to cut the corners. Our next step will be getting cut outs for macbook airs.

Will post our results in the next few days if anyone is interested.
Looking forward to it peapody!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.