Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Let's start off with two little disclaimers

> I'm not sold either way, just looking for facts (and opinions, mostly opinions)

so

> I have no pre-made idea that I'm basically coming here to validate

Anyway.

I have an iPad 2... and I've noticed that it just isn't as zippy as it seemed to be before. Browsing gets me a lot of page refreshes, some lag (likely because the one I play the most keeps adding more stuff to it), and sometimes reading the text is a bit... well... not that great.

Anyway, I have a few questions. Some of them are probably really stupid, but bear with me.

> Is refurbished good for iPad?
> Is a refurbished iPad 4 still worth it? Or would I be buying something that's already obsolete?
> Going from an iPad 2 to the iPad 4, will there be huge differences? Yes, yes, the screen is retina and beautiful for text. But how is the color representation? How is the sound? How is the Wi-Fi strength? How much worse is the battery? If it has a dual core CPU just like the iPad 2, how is performance in comparison?
> What will the backup actually backup? I don't know how my games work for their saves (Final Fantasy Tactics, Clash of Clans, Avengers Assemble, Plants vs Zombies, Magic Piano, and Temple Run 2). And does it rely on being on the same iOS version when you restore? Can you even restore your stuff from one version of an iPad to another?

I suppose that's all I can think of, other than the obligatory "If you have anything to add, feel free to do so".

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Refurbished from Apple is good, non-apple refurbished I wouldnt trust.

At this point in the year, I would say wait a few more months for the expected iPad5 to come out. It should have some updated hardware and a new form factor like that of the ipad mini. So it will be a tad bit smaller (same screen size, just a smaller bezel). But even if you dont want the 5, the 4 will be cheaper

There will be a difference between your 2 and 4, not sure how noticeable it will be. Im not too sure if there were any speaker improvements, but from what I remember, there may be a better wifi chip. Battery life is about the same though.

Backups on itunes/icloud will back up all game data. Make sure all your purchases are transferred to your computer for simple resyncing. As far as I know, music, videos, and photos originally synced from itunes are the only things not backed up. Camera roll is backed up and restored though, just not albums on your computer that you added to the iPad (if you even did). As far as the version thing, Im not sure. I THINK if you go to an older OS to a newer OS, there shouldnt be problems; but if you go from newer to older, there will be problems.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
What are we expecting in the iPad 5? Just better CPU/GPU, slimmer bezel?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
What are we expecting in the iPad 5? Just better CPU/GPU, slimmer bezel?

We may finally see an IGZO screen, as has been rumoured for a long time, but they are now other devices on the market using them. IGZO screens draw less power, so if it happens, the iPad 5 could slim back down to the iPad 2 thickness or less, while still giving a longer battery life.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
We may finally see an IGZO screen, as has been rumoured for a long time, but they are now other devices on the market using them. IGZO screens draw less power, so if it happens, the iPad 5 could slim back down to the iPad 2 thickness or less, while still giving a longer battery life.

Is the iPad 4 particularly bulky? Or is this just a continuation of the obsession with thin?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Is the iPad 4 particularly bulky? Or is this just a continuation of the obsession with thin?

Its not bulky, its thicker than the iPad2, but still thiner than the iPad 1. People just seem fascinated with making things as thin or small as possible without compromizing screen size.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Alright, guess I'm waiting 3-ish months since the iPad 5 will be stupendous-awesome-amazing.

OldLadywithiPod

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
I'm a big fan of manufacturer refurbished electronics.

In the 1980's I worked for a time in an electronics factory and and I know the work that goes into building an electronic device. The devices we tested for consumers went through the same ultra-strict process as those that were destined for NASA and the space shuttle.

I would never hesitate to purchase an Apple re-furbished iPad.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Got tired of waiting for the iP5, sold my iP3 to Gazelle, and bought a refurbished iP4. Mint condition, runs fast as a rabbit, simply perfect:cool:

----------

Got tired of waiting for the iP5, sold my iP3 to Gazelle, and bought a refurbished iP4. Mint condition, runs fast as a rabbit, simply perfect:cool:
There will be a difference between your 2 and 4, not sure how noticeable it will be. Im not too sure if there were any speaker improvements, but from what I remember, there may be a better wifi chip. Battery life is about the same though.

Day and night difference,incredible battery life!;)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'm a big fan of manufacturer refurbished electronics.

In the 1980's I worked for a time in an electronics factory and and I know the work that goes into building an electronic device. The devices we tested for consumers went through the same ultra-strict process as those that were destined for NASA and the space shuttle.

I would never hesitate to purchase an Apple re-furbished iPad.

----------

Day and night difference,incredible battery life!;)

But I guess the main question becomes "Is it still worth it this late in the game to get an iPad 4?".

Also, I really wish somebody knew about those speakers. :(

Supacali

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Just looked at the thread again i thought the op and the cheffy dave are the same, my bad!
Anyway, to the op, there's no risk in going with an apple refurbed ipad, they function and look new except for the packaging.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

No it isn't, but you might notice the little extra thickness compared to your iPad 2. And a little less weight is always welcome.

And to the original point... My iPad 1 was a refurb. I couldn't tell it from new. In fact, I think you are less likely to have trouble with a refurb than new as it has been through a through inspection, rather than a production line check.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Another thing I was worrying about would be file sizes.

Would 16gb be enough anymore?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Another thing I was worrying about would be file sizes.

Would 16gb be enough anymore?

32GB bare minimum. 64GB if you're going to be storing a lot of movies/music and large games.

16GB really is for someone using it for email, web, and other light stuff.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I have an 32 gig iPad 4 refurb from the apple store its brand new.
Iam so happy that I saved 100 dollars. People think its a brand new unit.
Apple puts a new battery and outer shell I have had mine for a month
I will buy a refurbed iPod soon.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Thank you.

No problem. I originally got a 16GB mini because the price was so nice. But I returned it after seeing how fast i was filling it up with apps. There's something very annoying about buying a new device and immediately having to constantly check app's file sizes before installing, and passing on certain apps because you're trying to avoid maxing out your storage. 32GB is a nice base to start with. 64GB would also be welcomed but it's out of my price range. 32GB is the sweet spot for me.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Alright, the combined advice is apparently to wait for the iPad 5 and get the 32 gb model.

That should either come out in September or October.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
Alright, the combined advice is apparently to wait for the iPad 5 and get the 32 gb model.

That should either come out in September or October.
correct, am hoping apple makes the iPad 5 32GB as the base cause 16GB is a joke my sister has barely 4 pages of apps and games and here space is almost full

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
my rule of thumb when it comes to Apple hardware...

If you plan on keeping the device only a year or so, then factory refurb is a better bet.

If you plan on keeping the device for the long haul, go new... the price difference between new and refurb is not all that great over the longer period of time... and the added piece of mind that comes from knowing how the device was treated from day-1.

Yes, Apple's warranty is excellent, but there is always the potential that some previously unknown condition/handling may cause the device to fail outside of the warranty period.

That's my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
From personal experience, I see no meaningful difference between buying APPLE refurb and new. Save the money. Apple refurbs are, in all practical ways, brand new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.