MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the more high-profile App Store releases over the last several months has been Skyfire Web Browser, an alternative web browser that allows users to view Flash video on the iPhone by converting content to HTML5 on the company's own servers and sending it back to the user's device. Despite some mixed reviews regarding app performance, Skyfire Web Browser raked in nearly $1 million in its opening weekend and was so popular that the company had to quickly pull the app and bring it back for purchase in only small batches as the company upgraded its servers to handle the demand.

We've known for awhile that Skyfire has been working on an iPad version of its browser, and it now appears that the new version will be available shortly, as the application has been submitted to Apple for review. Engadget has been able to get hands-on experience with Skyfire for iPad, which features smooth performance and social network integration with links to Facebook, Twitter, and Google Reader "quick links" right in a toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
For example, when the Facebook button is pushed, you're presented with a trimmed down version of the social network. The same goes with Twitter and Google Reader. The app also features Fireplace, which allows you to view specifically the links your Facebook friends have shared, and 'Popular', which shows all the related links your friends have shared based on what website the browser parked on, and of course a dedicated 'Like' button. The Share function lends you an easy way to share links via various popular networks.
Aside from the new social features, Engadget notes that performance is much improved over the iPhone version, with smooth scrolling and pinch-to-zoom along with relatively fast page loading making for a solid user experience.

Article Link: 'Skyfire for iPad' Coming Soon With Social Network Integration

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Great to see more browsing options for the iPhone and iPad. I watched the Daily Show (flash) the iPhone, that was cool. Nice to see them being responsible about how they expand.

Comment

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have made the mistake to buy the iphone version, but I wont repeating it. Skyfire is just bad. Stay away from it.

Comment

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
I- uh.... first thing you'll notice- uhhh.... let's look at- uhhhh....

FFS Write a damned script if you can't remember what you want to say.

Comment

drod400

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hopefully they bring these improvements to the iPhone version.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why don't the videos just play in context? I mean I know that they are being converted on an external server and all, but that doesn't prevent the browser from playing the newly converted video where the original Flash video should be. I find it a bit awkward that it requires a special button to load the video, and then it hides the entire page and blacks everything out just to play the video.

Comment

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

About time

Comment

cronked

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
It's funny he says "no ads" in the video about Skyfire but I had to endure a 30 second dishwashing liquid commercial before I could view the video. I hope Engadget is making bank on those ads while they can because I usually bail when I see those commercials.

Funny thing is I went back to the same video and the commercial didn't play the second time. Probably a cookie?

Comment

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Why don't the videos just play in context? I mean I know that they are being converted on an external server and all, but that doesn't prevent the browser from playing the newly converted video where the original Flash video should be. I find it a bit awkward that it requires a special button to load the video, and then it hides the entire page and blacks everything out just to play the video.

which is why Apple doesn't have a problem with the app. :)

Comment

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Looks Great !

I don't like the iPad in its current condition with all of its failures.

But with nicely done applications like this I may soon change my tune.

I have to jump in here...there are no failures...this is the best tablet implementation out there. Simple design and the IOS scales to the big IPAD...this can not be said about any other tablet.

When IOS 5.0 comes out next summer...(it will be hinted in feb\march) its gonna blow your mind. Apple is on the right track and now since they have real competition from Google and Microsoft and even blackberry, it can only get better.

The Ipad will rule them all probably forever....

The Ipad 2.0 is only a few months away...people will line up outside of apple stores just to get one....

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I- uh.... first thing you'll notice- uhhh.... let's look at- uhhhh....

FFS Write a damned script if you can't remember what you want to say.

Got that right. They really need a better voice over. This guy sounds like he doesn't spend much time talking. uh uh uh uh!

Comment

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I have to jump in here...there are no failures...this is the best tablet implementation out there. Simple design and the IOS scales to the big IPAD...this can not be said about any other tablet.

When IOS 5.0 comes out next summer...(it will be hinted in feb\march) its gonna blow your mind. Apple is on the right track and now since they have real competition from Google and Microsoft and even blackberry, it can only get better.

The Ipad 2.0 is only a few months away...people will line up outside of apple stores just to get one....

I hope you are correct !

I'm not trying to be a hater.

But in its current offerings,....I just don't get it.

I do see potential.

But not a reason to ditch my notebook and a couple pounds in favor of a LOT LESS FEATURES AND NOTHING IN RETURN !

Haha

But I kid

Comment

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Hmm.. Has he never seen the Touch version of Facebook before? — I think he thinks that Skyfire made their own version of Facebook too!

Comment

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
See how fast it loads?

He says that each time. But the progress bar clearly shows that the damn thing isn't finished loading for a while longer. Quite a while. Here it comes. See it? It's almost done now. So why isn't there anything in the space where the video should be?

Understand, I do like it that I can watch the Daily Show on my iPhone at last. But really, I record it on the DVR every night, so I don't much need to watch the Daily Show online. In a pinch, if you're away from the DVR, it's great to watch MSNBC clips, or some other perverted sons of Flash, if you need to. And the remote server does the work, not ht iOS device.

Comment

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008

You ain't baby! My girlfriend got me the ipad 16 gig wifi/3g for my birthday back in september. Damn, damn and damn!!!! That's sums up the ipad.
It is a beast of a product. I am in complete nirvana when I can download movies, music, games and apps smoothly and seamlessly.
The other day I was at work, and we have high speed wifi, and I wanted to listen to NPR(National Public Radio) so I went on into itunes on my ipad and downloaded some Diane Rehms podcasts. Then I went over to the BBC podcast and got some of them. Then I rented a Family guy, current season, episode.
OMFG!!!!!! Fast, seamless, simple!!!!!

That's how you make it rain on them fools.
And look at Google and their fiasco internet tv. Meh! Back to the drawing board while Apple has sold about 1 million Apple tvs so far. Lol!
I can't wait to get my Apple tv.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.